Specialized Allez 16 - upgrade components, or new bike...

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
End of December last year I bought a Specialized Allez 16. It was my first road bike, after riding MTBs for years. I have enjoyed it and its got me out more, as there are more road near here than off road routes :D

I bought the bike in a sale and it was a bit of a bargain, I knew it had basic components and a good frame, my thoughts were to upgrade the parts, now I am not too sure.

So far I have just added SPDs and Gator Skin tyres. I know I want a compact chaninset. Although the gears are functional and reliable, I find the range limited and they are a bit clunky/slow.

In your opinion what should I do, spend time and money upgrading, I am think Shimano 105/Sram Rival or Apex / New Wheels or look at selling it and going for a new bike?

I didn't realize groupsets would be so expensive, and I did not envisage the hassle of changing the gear/brake leavers and going from a square taper bb to a hollow tech etc.
Do groupsets fall in price much as replacements come out?

I reckon I could get quite a bit back on selling it, so not too much to loose.

Comments

• kkzfish
    kkzfish Posts: 39
    Is it the basic model come with shimano 2300?
    If so i suggest you can just upgrade the wheels for about 300 or 400, coz you can feel the significant difference compare to the soft CXP22 and more important, you can use it for your next bike.
    I dont think its nesscery to upgrde anyother stuff as the frame(A1 model) is so basic. Get a full carbon bike around 1,500 is a good idea for me
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    i have the allez elite. i upgraded it with ultegra and rs80 wheels (the wheels made a huge difference soaking up alot of the road buzz) however it was always going to be pretty weighty and uninspiring to ride so i did replace the frame. i would sell it or keep it for the winter whilst treating yourself to some carbon.
  • kkzfish wrote:
    Is it the basic model come with shimano 2300?
    If so i suggest you can just upgrade the wheels for about 300 or 400, coz you can feel the significant difference compare to the soft CXP22 and more important, you can use it for your next bike.
    I dont think its nesscery to upgrde anyother stuff as the frame(A1 model) is so basic. Get a full carbon bike around 1,500 is a good idea for me

Yeah its 2300.

What wheels would you suggest?
  • FYI - I don't want another bike, already got a MTB plus other family bikes.

So one racer, either upgraded Allez or new bike, but my budget would still be limited to £700/800 on a new bike - would that be a worth an upgrade, I would still be looking at Alu at that pirce.

Or should I get all the kit how I want it, then change the frame in a few years.

If I was to thinking about groupsets, what would you suggest, 105/Rival/Apex? Worthy upgrade?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd sell it as it is; you'll get a fair bit back on Ebay. The Allez is a very popular starter bike. Then get either a discounted bike in the sales (Sept / Oct) or buy something second hand. Aim for a lighter alloy frame with 105 or similar and decent wheels.
  • I had similar thoughts... hmmm.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d sell it as is and buy a complete new bike with all the bits you want off ebay.
    I wanted to upgrade my old Trek 1200,to 10 speed 105,a compact chjainset and better wheels.

Instead I`ve just bought an as new Giant Defy advanced off ebay for £800.Vastly better frame and all the bits I want.Once I sell the Trek I reckon it would have only cost me the £500 that I was planning on spending on upgrades.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • I think I am going to hold back for the sales, get a new bike, and put this one on Ebay.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    It'll be winter soon and you won't be using it so you will forget how crap your bike is and when you get back on it next year you will be more concerned about your poor fitness levels than how fast you can change gear. Get yourself a bigger telly instead. :wink:
  • Phil_D wrote:
    It'll be winter soon and you won't be using it so you will forget how crap your bike is and when you get back on it next year you will be more concerned about your poor fitness levels than how fast you can change gear. Get yourself a bigger telly instead. :wink:

Waiting for you to turn up! :roll:
  • Todd Sweeney
    Todd Sweeney Posts: 117
    I like the look of Canyon bikes, and they get great reviews. This one for for £809 looks like excellent value - it comes with Mavic Aksium wheels and a full Apex groupset: http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2103

If you decide to upgrade your Allez I replaced the standard hollowtech chainset that came with my 07 Allez for a compact one not long after buying it (sold the one that came with it on ebay so didn't cost very much). I also replaced the stock wheels for Shimano RS20s, after one of the original wheels failed, and I have found them to be bombproof and a definite improvement over the stock wheels. They cost me around £110 a couple of years ago. I am considering swapping the Tiagra groupset for an Apex one at some point (I've seen the full groupset for £350 online). I'll hopefully recoup some of the cost by selling the Tiagra groupset on ebay.

In an ideal world I would replace the bike with a newer carbon fibre one, but unfortunately funds don't allow me to do this at the moment. I have therefore gone down the route of upgrading bits over time as the stock ones have worn out and as I have money available. This has worked out pretty well and I have had nearly 4 years great service out of the bike so far.
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Phil_D wrote:

Waiting for you to turn up! :roll:

Good things come to those who wait