New Wheelset - options and suggestions

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Spesh I bought last autumn came with Mavic CXP22 and Spesh All Condition tryes.

Done about 2000 miles on them to date and whilst I have no real complaints about the CXP22's, I think I might benefit from an upgrade of the wheelset and tyres. Budget for the wheels is in the £200 - £300 range.

Having done some delving into reviews, I am drawn to the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's which are on offer on Merlin's website at £239 - joining their VIP club would get me another 10% off bringing the price down to just over the £200 mark

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... EQUIPE.htm

Others I have considered are Easton EA50sl's, Shimano RS20's and Fulcrum Racing 5's

Before I take the plunge on the Mavic's - am I missing a trick somewhere.

Oh by the way I am looking at the Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD for the tyre choice

Comments

• lef
    lef Posts: 728
    ive had the CXP22, you will feel significant benefit from an upgrade, they're pretty rubbish wheels. If mavic equipes are anything like the SL then theyre very stiff but not a particularly comfortable ride. Ive had fulcrum 5s which came on an focus izalco, not great either. I would recommend the RS80s if you can stretch a few pounds above £300. Merlin or ribble are the cheapest i think.

or go cheaper and get some planet x model b's. friend rates these and theres lots of good comments on the web.

tyre wise if its all round use i would pass on the ultremo and go for gp4000s. Possibly a little more rolling resistance but more durable and hopefully less flats
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    If you can find some, the RS80s are my recommendation too.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • RayW
    RayW Posts: 35
    joining their VIP club would get me another 10% off bringing the price down to just over the £200 mark

Be aware that you won't get 10% discount on these wheels. Merlin have changed the way their VIP discount works. If it says best net price against an item on their site there is no extra discount.
  • speedy119
    speedy119 Posts: 67
    [quote=Before I take the plunge on the Mavic's - am I missing a trick somewhere.[/quote]

In a word- YES!!

No warranty and no access to Mavic's Product Protection Plan (MP3). Grey Product
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I went from the Spesh hubs/CXP22 rims to RS80s and saved about 600g in total, according to my bathroom scales, or about one water bottle (as my wife pointed out whilst rolling her eyes :roll: ).

Great wheels at the price (I bought from my LBS at just under £400 and I still think they are good value...but at Merlin prices they are a downright bargain). I also like the Fulcrum 5's in terms of them being a nice wheel but you need to jump to the Fulcrum 3 before being comparable to the RS80s, IMO.
  • RayW
    RayW Posts: 35
    No warranty and no access to Mavic's Product Protection Plan (MP3). Grey Product

I've no idea if they are a grey import but of course even if they are you will get a warranty from Merlin under the sale of goods act.
  • arlowood
    Hi

Thanks for all the input and advice.

Finally opted to push the budget and went for the RS80's - £319 at Merlin. Also ordered some Conti GP 4000 S tyres.

Looking forward to the improved ride when fitted.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    speedy119 wrote:
    Before I take the plunge on the Mavic's - am I missing a trick somewhere.

In a word- YES!!

For which you'll pay an additional 8% of the RRP. (£28 )

BTW, Merlin are authorised Mavic dealers - at least according to the Mavic distributor.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • arlowood
    Just to update my experience with wheel upgrade.

Ordered the Shimano RS80's from Merlin Cycles on 28th June along with some Conti GP4000s tyres and a lockring tool. Package arrived at 3pm on 30th. Great service from Merlin.

Switched cassette over to new rear wheel and fitted wheelset yesterday. Went for an exploratory trundle and found I needed to tweak the barrel adjuster on the rear mech to get the indexing back on track but otherwise no major problems.

Did my first serious ride today over one of my standard 15 mile circuits.

A revelation is putting it mildly. Wheels are very free running and seem to glide over the road. The Shimano freewheel is virtually silent compared to the generic Specialized one on my old wheelset so it gives an even better impression of speed.

Also managed to improve my average speed on that circuit by just over 1mph without really trying.

All in all I can vouch for the improvements of the upgrade.
  • speedy119
    speedy119 Posts: 67
    LangerDan wrote:

BTW, Merlin are authorised Mavic dealers - at least according to the Mavic distributor.

I think not!

FYI-Mavic distribute direct into the UK and do not deal with Merlin through the official channels, hence it is grey product.......... :wink:
  • If you can't stretch to the rs80, the rs30 are worth a look withe 30mm rim in white , they feel light, fast and are a good strong wheel - I'm heavy. They are comparible to my ultegra wheelset - also lovely but not as strong as the rs30s. I think Ribble sell them for a really daft price ?£138 or something. I have them with Ultremo zx (first time purchased ultremo) with the white stripe, really nice wheel package

photo.php?fbid=10150294299213142&set=o.211733528863597&type=1&theater