Bl@@dy Pu**tu**s

mattsaw
mattsaw Posts: 907
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
The PF seems to be visiting me a lot at the moment :x

She first arrived on Wednesday night, I changed and it was fine for the rest of the trip home.

Thursday I got around 5 miles from home and I got another flat. I spent the weekend taking the whole wheel to pieces to see if I could see anything, nothing obvious on the tyre or tube, just a small hole in the tube. The spokes seem solid and I couldn't see anything on the rim tape. I like running my tyres at quite a high pressure so I thought I'd try running around 100psi to make sure I didn't have a faulty gauge on my track-pump.

I left for work this morning only semi confident that I was going to arrive trouble free, again 5 miles from home and another flat. Changed that and then another one 4 miles later, thankfully a mile or so from work as I'm now out of tubes :roll:

I also think I'm now suffering from some kind of puncture induced paranoya where every bump in the road feels like a flat tyre :oops:
Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
Strava

Comments

• HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Mattsaw wrote:

I also think I'm now suffering from some kind of puncture induced paranoya where every bump in the road feels like a flat tyre :oops:

Know that feeling well!

All in the same wheel?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    I found a few shards of stone/flint like stuff in the front tyre - one worked its way through on friday night but didn't strike luckily till my home road.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mattsaw
    HamishD wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

Know that feeling well!

All in the same wheel?

Yep, every one. There HAS to be an issue there, but despte checking time and time again I can't find what it it is.
    Strava
  • mickybhoy
    mickybhoy Posts: 19
    I had a simliar problem early last year.
    In the end, I had to turn the tyre completely inside out to try and find the culprit.

Sure enough, I did - the hard way. A tiny sharp piece of metal was deeply embedded in the inside skin of the tyre and nearly ripped open my thumb when I found it. It wasn't visible on the outer tyre, and just running my fingers round the inside didn't locate it either.

You have to go through it meticulously, though, pushing the outside of the tyre with both thumbs very carefully until you get the little blighter. If it's the same tyre all the time, it's got to be that.

Best of luck.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    can you not position the valve opposite the name on the tyre so if you were to get "another" you would be able to see where on the tyre it had happened then you can see if there is anything embedded in the tyre?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Really basic point, but if it happens again make sure to mark the tyre at the valve position before removing it and then mark the innertube to orientate it.

Once you've located the puncture you can then precisely locate the matching area of tyre for a really in-depth check for the cause.

Generally speaking it's always worth orientating tyres on the rim so that the logo is centered on the valve - that way you don't need to mark it, it's already done for you.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You could always swap the tyres between front and back to see if the problem follows the tyre...

Spot the techie...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    I once had this identical problem and I done the checks etc. etc.

The reality was extremely simple... the tyre was worn out!!

No large gashes, fraying or obvious signs of significant wear. It had no tread to speak of (when new) either..... It just got thin enough that it no longer had any puncture protection.
  • mattsaw
    I'll have one more bash at changing the tube before I leave work tonight. I stocked-up on a couple more tubes at lunchtime, so that should hopefully get me home!

If I get more than two on the way home I'll be wrapping my bike around the closest lamp-post
    Strava
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I had this once - turned out to be the rim tape had developed a couple of rough edges either in manufacture, or more likely where I'd caught them with the tyres levers when trying to prise Pro 3s off a rim that was just that bit too big to make it an easy job.

Upshot was a few bits of strategically placed black insulating tape on the rim tape cured the mystery PF sequence.

I've also had the impossible-to-spot shard of glass, located only by working the tyre round in bright sunlight till I spied the glint.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    How many miles have you done on this tyre? If you suddenly start getting loads of punctures close together it might be time to buy a new one.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010