IPad - Blackberry Playbook - Netbook - etc

Comments

• mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    You could look at one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transformer-Android-docking-keyboard/dp/B004TB0EXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309205571&sr=8-1

Heard good things about these but they are heard to come by. Basically all the benefits of both a net book and a tablet. I think Dell do one too.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Fair enough, like I said, I get what they're for and if thy meet the OP's needs then the iPad is probably the best option at the moment.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    mr_poll wrote:
    You could look at one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Transformer-Android-docking-keyboard/dp/B004TB0EXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309205571&sr=8-1

Heard good things about these but they are heard to come by. Basically all the benefits of both a net book and a tablet. I think Dell do one too.

Indeed - I am selling my mac book to fund the purchase of one of those. Seems like the best android option at the moment.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    apple does not do multi tasking. it does suspended apps. and only if the app supports it. thats a simple fact.
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Steve Jobs' description of the tablet PC is:
    The PC/Mac is like a truck, and most people don't need a truck. The tablet is the car. Far quicker and easier to use.

However, for the price of an IPad you can easily get 2 reasonable laptops so until the price falls, they are no more than a toy.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    sharky1029 wrote:
    Steve Jobs' description of the tablet PC is:
    The PC/Mac is like a truck, and most people don't need a truck. The tablet is the car. Far quicker and easier to use.

However, for the price of an IPad you can easily get 2 reasonable laptops so until the price falls, they are no more than a toy.

Eh? A "toy"? They are more expensive than a laptop but you can't buy two reasonable laptops for 400 quid (netbooks, maybe, but netbooks are no match for an iPad). And (this could get quite repetitive) a laptop with 10 hours battery life, GPS, accelerometers, touch screen etc etc I think not. To expand the analogy, the iPad is like the MINI Cooper - does most of what you want and is quite "designer". The laptop is a cheap-to-midrange estate car - dull but more flexible - a jack-of-all-trades. The choice is yours according to your needs. Neither is more "correct" than the other. The iPad is far from a toy though. They are already finding a home in business especially because of their form-factor which is so much better than a laptop.

And the thing that really impresses me is the constant updating from Apple. I bought a product with a certain set of capabilities. Apple keep adding huge new chunks of functionality and have rewarded our early adoption. This HP laptop I bought literally days before Windows 7 came out and it won't even run Windows 7 properly. Worse than that, HP won't even develop the drivers. Not that Windows 7 gives me much additional functionality - it just fixed the (generally regarded as a) pile of crap called Vista. As a result, it has never worked well. Explain to me how that's better value? The iPad is like buying a bike fitted with Shimano 105 then getting upgrades to that year on year.

I know there will be plenty of folk who will happily throw bricks at the iPad from the sidelines - that's fine. I rarely find anybody though who really understands the product and still hates it. I'm pretty confident that in 5 years time, tablets will have overtaken laptops in the home. If the concept were so crap, there wouldn't be so many "me too" wannabes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    And the thing that really impresses me is the constant updating from Apple. I bought a product with a certain set of capabilities. Apple keep adding huge new chunks of functionality and have rewarded our early adoption. This HP laptop I bought literally days before Windows 7 came out and it won't even run Windows 7 properly. Worse than that, HP won't even develop the drivers. Not that Windows 7 gives me much additional functionality - it just fixed the (generally regarded as a) pile of crap called Vista. As a result, it has never worked well. Explain to me how that's better value? The iPad is like buying a bike fitted with Shimano 105 then getting upgrades to that year on year.

I know there will be plenty of folk who will happily throw bricks at the iPad from the sidelines - that's fine. I rarely find anybody though who really understands the product and still hates it. I'm pretty confident that in 5 years time, tablets will have overtaken laptops in the home. If the concept were so crap, there wouldn't be so many "me too" wannabes.

No, Apple just release new software. Microsoft release service packs and new OSs, and any laptop can then use that hardware.

"Ah-ha! But many can't" you say, "They're too slow now."

See original iPhone and iPhone 3G. Outdated hardware, can't do much of what the new iOS trumpets, no different to crappy old laptop trying to run W7.

Apple don't continually offer improvements any more than Android or MS, they just tie the hardware in with the software so there's an incentive for them to try to keep a consistent OS across all platforms.

(And before I'm labelled anti-Apple, I have an iPhone and would recommend the iPad for casual use like Spen suggested)

iPad isn't a toy, it's a very pretty product that manages to cover most of what most people do.
    If you don't know if an iPad does enough for you then it probably does.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    dhope wrote:
    , no different to crappy old laptop trying to run W7.

Understood - except mine was a "crappy" (HP) NEW laptop. Perfectly capable of running W7 just HP couldn't be bothered to write the drivers. A new bit of kit that was almost instantly obsolete. And that's a mid-spec (400 quid) lappy. Notebooks that are already straining to run O/Ss don't stand a chance. And service packs just tend to fix issues (as well as introducing a load more). And new operating systems, if they will work (a very big IF in my experience) don't arrive free. Sure, there's a point at which the hardware will no longer be supported but the iPad1 will support the next OS release that will take functionality to another whole new level. For me, that's a big selling point - one I wasn't aware of when my mum bought Charlie (my son) the iPad when he was diagnosed with cancer. To say it's been a lifeline to him would be to understate its value hugely. For the thing just to get better and better isn't a concept that I've got used to in any product.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:
    , no different to crappy old laptop trying to run W7.

Understood - except mine was a "crappy" (HP) NEW laptop. Perfectly capable of running W7 just HP couldn't be bothered to write the drivers. A new bit of kit that was almost instantly obsolete. And that's a mid-spec (400 quid) lappy. Notebooks that are already straining to run O/Ss don't stand a chance. And service packs just tend to fix issues (as well as introducing a load more). And new operating systems, if they will work (a very big IF in my experience) don't arrive free. Sure, there's a point at which the hardware will no longer be supported but the iPad1 will support the next OS release that will take functionality to another whole new level. For me, that's a big selling point - one I wasn't aware of when my mum bought Charlie (my son) the iPad when he was diagnosed with cancer. To say it's been a lifeline to him would be to understate its value hugely. For the thing just to get better and better isn't a concept that I've got used to in any product.

Remember that iOS updates haven't always been free. The first OS update was free for iPhones but iPod Touch owners had to pay. Free for iPhone because it made sense for Apple to keep people on the latest versions to try to keep Jailbraking exploits as under control as possible, and the free iPod Touch updates only appeared later.
    I'm surprised a 400 quid laptop can't run W7, my 1.8Ghz Pentium-M Thinkpad still runs it fine and its only upgrades over its life have been a 7200RPM disk and a couple of GB of RAM. Sure, it's a Thinkpad so it started its life as high end but its decidedly underpowered now.
    Apple do certainly get fewer driver issues, but that's in no small part down to the hugely reduced range of components they need to cater for. There are a lot of crap laptops out there with cheap components... did you read many reviews for this HP? There's a lot of rubbish out there for £400.
    next OS release that will take functionality to another whole new level
    You must've seen a different iOS 5 release to me :twisted:, I was quite underwhelmed... seemed like a service pack rather than a new OS.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    My boss has got an Advent Vega http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/smartphones/363172/advent-vega pad - less than half the price of an iPad with a faster CPU. We like to laugh at the chap who queued up and bought an iPad on launch day from the apple store up the road.

There's an active modding scene for this device and android in general - I know he's replaced the stock OS with the latest 2.* android release with full marketplace access and CPU unlocking. Not so sure you get such a good device straight out of the box. The screen's not so nice as an iPad either (eg plastic screen not glass).

But it's £300 cheaper and does more.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    apple does not do multi tasking. it does suspended apps. and only if the app supports it. thats a simple fact.

Actually, I hate the multi-tasking on my Android phone. At least Apple's implementation doesn't mean you have to go round killing apps using a task manager to stop them constantly draining your battery.

Personally, I think that Android is a Linux-user's mobile OS. If you feel like you want to spend time fiddling with the innards of your phone, go for it. You'll need to get your hands dirty to make it work, in my experience. If you just want it to work, and are happy to accept some restrictions to allow that to happen, get the Apple.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    spasypaddy wrote:
    why not get something like this:
    http://uk.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_ ... mer_TF101/
    truly best of both worlds!

It's a bit of a gimmick and that one and still cost the same as iPad2 anyway. As you can do the same thing with most tablets with a bluetooth keyboard not sure what the point is.

Personally I want a tablet, although I'm not Apple Fanboy for various reasons mainly to do with how they market things that are very restrictive (only using apple OS, AppStore, iTunes etc) as being major selling points. I'd much prefer an open platform with all the faults that come with. I'll be buying an Andriod tablet, although not until the price comes down a lot which it will after Christmas. Expect to pay half of what you are paying now. I for one cannot understand why the new Android 3 tablets cost more than iPad2 that seems like marketing sucicide to me, unless they plan so sell a few at the higher price to people who really really want them then drop the price instantly.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

It's a bit of a gimmick and that one and still cost the same as iPad2 anyway. As you can do the same thing with most tablets with a bluetooth keyboard not sure what the point is.

Personally I want a tablet, although I'm not Apple Fanboy for various reasons mainly to do with how they market things that are very restrictive (only using apple OS, AppStore, iTunes etc) as being major selling points. I'd much prefer an open platform with all the faults that come with. I'll be buying an Andriod tablet, although not until the price comes down a lot which it will after Christmas. Expect to pay half of what you are paying now. I for one cannot understand why the new Android 3 tablets cost more than iPad2 that seems like marketing sucicide to me, unless they plan so sell a few at the higher price to people who really really want them then drop the price instantly.

You see, there's the rub. I'll probably get a flaming for this, but...

Apple kit isn't usually that badly overpriced. What it is is very well-engineered, high end kit. If any other manufacturer tries to do something of the same type, of the same quality, it's usually more expensive. For example, see the decent Android tablets compared to the iPad, or the Sony Vaio all-in-one PCs compared to the iMac, or anything that tries to be a MacBook Air.

The above does not include memory upgrades to the iPhone/iPod Touch, which are frankly a rip-off.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    £130 for a 7" android pad. Obviously I have no idea if its any good but it is cheap. And that's the main thing.

http://www.andypad.co.uk/
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

You see, there's the rub. I'll probably get a flaming for this, but...

Apple kit isn't usually that badly overpriced. What it is is very well-engineered, high end kit. If any other manufacturer tries to do something of the same type, of the same quality, it's usually more expensive. For example, see the decent Android tablets compared to the iPad, or the Sony Vaio all-in-one PCs compared to the iMac, or anything that tries to be a MacBook Air.

The above does not include memory upgrades to the iPhone/iPod Touch, which are frankly a rip-off.

Well actually it isn't. The build quality is about the same as similar non apple stuff and you would be hard pushed to argue the iPhone Build Quality is better than say the HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S. Apple kit is marketed a lot better and some people get sucked in by it, thinking this means the kit is that much better. Part of the reason for so many people getting sucked in is that without a doubt the Apple kit looks the part and a lot of the R&D budget goes in to ensuring it always does look the part. Hence my early comment that if you want something that looks good on you coffee table by an Apple. However if you look beyond the marketing and it's just another device.
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    The build quality is about the same as similar non apple stuff and you would be hard pushed to argue the iPhone Build Quality is better than say the HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy S.

The HTC is a pretty well-made piece of kit, I'll give you. The returns rate on them is higher than the iPhone, though, they break a lot more. My Galaxy S, though is a creaky, overly-light, poor-relation of the phone it is so desperately trying to imitate.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/10/s ... ure_rates/
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Its interesting how passionate people are to promote or defend from criticism their favourite IT manufacturer.

The passionate support is rivaling that of football fans
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • dhope
    spen666 wrote:
    Its interesting how passionate people are to promote or defend from criticism their favourite IT manufacturer.

The passionate support is rivaling that of football fans

acer-ferrari1.jpg

Now if there were just an HP Cervélo or similar then this argument could get heated.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    spen666, dhope
    But should a tablet be carbon or steel? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    bails87 wrote:
    spen666, dhope
    But should a tablet be carbon or steel? :lol:

Ti for me.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Well I kind of knocked the tablet idea on the head, Apple is overpriced, however well designed, yet sold with outdated technology presented in a consumer friendly package, the other tablets are so, so and simply don't offer the functionality that a netbook can bring... So I looked more at netbooks, duel core AMD Acer...hmmm... then I thought for an extra £100 I can get a well specked laptop running Windows 7 with built in card reader, good sized screen, plays all media and some games, HD output... I was sold and its still cheaper than and ipad, Samsung galaxy etc.
  • spen666
    Well I kind of knocked the tablet idea on the head, Apple is overpriced, however well designed, yet sold with outdated technology presented in a consumer friendly package, the other tablets are so, so and simply don't offer the functionality that a netbook can bring... So I looked more at netbooks, duel core AMD Acer...hmmm... then I thought for an extra £100 I can get a well specked laptop running Windows 7 with built in card reader, good sized screen, plays all media and some games, HD output... I was sold and its still cheaper than and ipad, Samsung galaxy etc.
    but it weighs no less than my laptop.

The idea is portability and weight being thedriver to think of the options

Twittering @spen_666
  • sketchley

So which laptop?
    --
    Chris

• king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Sketchley wrote:
    So which laptop?

This one : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/261787
    Lighter than my dell.

Was almost going to opt for: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/251929
    spen666 wrote:

ahh fare point, sorry to hijack thread with my laptop hijinx :wink:
  • meanredspider
    spen666 wrote:
    but it weighs no less than my laptop.

I've given up you'll be pleased to know. I've actually owned & tried all the types of mobile device and I'm convinced that the tablet is the way to go for your need.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I can only add to the positive comments about the iPad 2.

It's beautifully made, very portable and has a superb operating system. Once you have tried one you won't want to go back to using a trackpad or mouse to surf the web, swiping up and down a webpage is just so intuitive. It's really the touch interface that makes it so nice to use.

Skype will be great once thei Pad version comes out (or just use FaceTime), the games are excellent and it doesn't get hot like a laptop. It's great for watching tv on too.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Got 2 Playbooks yesterday - bought one & was given one :)

I'm loving the device (well I would) & in terms of quality its on a par with the iPad. It works great with my BB phone, lovely screen & is quick as well. I've not had a chance to get a real play but leaving for the airport shortly, so will give the device a good spanking whilst on the train, waiting, flying...
  • spen666
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Got 2 Playbooks yesterday - bought one & was given one :)

I'm loving the device (well I would) & in terms of quality its on a par with the iPad. It works great with my BB phone, lovely screen & is quick as well. I've not had a chance to get a real play but leaving for the airport shortly, so will give the device a good spanking whilst on the train, waiting, flying...

You get plane from Lewisham to Aldgate?

Twittering @spen_666
  • dhope