Race Shoe Hits Front Wheel

markdavidhill
markdavidhill Posts: 279
edited June 2011 in Workshop
I do have wide feet, so the race shoes I ride in are bigger than usual.
To compensate, the cleats are as far back as the tolerance allows to keep the 'point of contact' under the ball of my foot.

The shoes 'only' foul the front wheel when pulling away when the wheel is turned more than during cycling.

Is this unusual, or should I mount the cleats further forward?
Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio

Comments

• centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Moving the cleats forward will work, i had to with mine when i first set myself up, no problems since.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's called overlap. It's normal with most road framesets.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Toe overlap is pretty common on smaller bikes and those with slightly odd geometry, personally I'd learn to live with it if you're happy with your current cleat position. You shouldn't move the cleats just to try and reduce overlap. Alternatively a lot of higher-end shoes are available in a wide fitting so could be worth trying those and go back to your normal size.
  • nferrar wrote:
    Toe overlap is pretty common on smaller bikes and those with slightly odd geometry, personally I'd learn to live with it if you're happy with your current cleat position. You shouldn't move the cleats just to try and reduce overlap. Alternatively a lot of higher-end shoes are available in a wide fitting so could be worth trying those and go back to your normal size.

Learn to live with it, I will. My cleats are where they should be.

I will try to upgrade the shoes to a better fit.

Thanks all.
    Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio