David Millar in today's 'Observer'

2»

Comments

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Another interview in the Grauniad today. Is there beef between Millar and Wiggins?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ju ... -de-france

The criticisms of Wiggins are arguably fair enough opinions but he's not really holding back much in his phrasing.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Another interview in the Grauniad today. Is there beef between Millar and Wiggins?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ju ... -de-france

The criticisms of Wiggins are arguably fair enough opinions but he's not really holding back much in his phrasing.

I can understand why Millar might was annoyed when Wiggins did a runner from Garmin, but that was 18 months ago and is frankly old news now. I just find it a little ironic that depite his vehement anti doping stance he keeps attacking Wiggins yet goes all softly softly on Contador (yes, he should ride the tour...no, it's not his fault it's the system...). Either he really doesn't like Wiggins or he's just desperately trying to get more publicity to sell his book.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    + however many for the people that are endorsing riding through the dark. If you just read his "soundbites", you ain't going to get a very complete picture (even if it is the one drawn by his holiness). It is a gripping fascinating read - Millar doesn't spare himself or others (really), as a doper, I don't like him more or less, but I do feel as though I understand him more.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    I'm about two-thirds of the way through his book now. Who is L'equipier supposed to be? (Or, to avoid libel, which Cofidis riders in the early 2000s lived in Tuscanny?)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    I'm about two-thirds of the way through his book now. Who is L'equipier supposed to be? (Or, to avoid libel, which Cofidis riders in the early 2000s lived in Tuscanny?)

Massiliano Lelli. It's public record - all stated at the Cofidis enquiries.

Le Boss is less certain.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dan_cup
    dan_cup Posts: 51
    Good book, bought it in the airport as I was off on hols lkast week off the cuff.

Wasnt sure if id like it but couldnt put it down. fascinating stuff an insight to how the whole 'system' works.

Think I paid £12 at WHSmiths so bound to be about for less.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I've just finished reading this and while I still think Millar is an arrogant so-and-so it is very interesting to see how the whole drugs issue isn't black-and-white and how easy it was for him and others to get drawn into the whole sordid business. (Why doesn't he name L'Equipier? I guessed who he was straight away.)
    I have to say that my opinion of Brailsford has changed somewhat as he stuck by Millar through the interrogation although he was instructed to leave straight away. Tho' I still think he sold his soul to the devil for Sky money.
    Now starting The Badger book!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    in view of sister millers purity :lol::lol::lol: , does anyone know when the pope will decree his sainthood ?
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    i've read it and its a good read. i'm 100% sure millar will end up at sky when he stops riding.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    The Millar book is good. A step up from most sporting autobiographies. The whole riding clean -> doping -> getting caught timeline is fascinating.

I must be honest, I don't care for him at all. I'll see if I can set that aside long enough to read his book - I do hope it's a not a 'the whole world is against me' type read though.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    iainf72 wrote:
    The Millar book is good. A step up from most sporting autobiographies. The whole riding clean -> doping -> getting caught timeline is fascinating.

I must be honest, I don't care for him at all. I'll see if I can set that aside long enough to read his book - I do hope it's a not a 'the whole world is against me' type read though.

no not at all. its more "look at me im the oracle". i liked david millar as much as any other british cyclist, but after reading the book i think hes a bit of a hippy nob
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It really is a fascinating book. I don't think it's likely to make anyone suddenly like Millar's personality if they didn't already; I still think he's a bit of a dick, but Millar does too to some extent. The story is well worth the effort, and it's one I found unexpectedly reassuring.
  • ms_tree
    simon t wrote:
    i've read it and its a good read. i'm 100% sure millar will end up at sky when he stops riding.
    Why? He owns part of Garmin so it's more likely if he stays in cycling he would stay with them. What is this obsession with British riders all going to Sky?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited August 2011
    In the book Millar talks about how much he'd love to ride for Sky, and how angry he is at himself that it can't be.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Why doesn't he name L'Equipier?
    Because his identity doesn't matter to the picture Millar wants to paint. Every team had one. The story isn't "Lelli helped me dope". The story is "All pro cyclists had easy access to a teammate who could help them dope".
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Thoroughlly enjoyed this book, a fascinating read.

Currently reading Ned Boulting's book 'How I Won The Yellow Jumper'. I'm about 100 pages in and I have to say, it is bloody excellent. Very witty and takes you to unfamiliar areas of The Tour.

Recently read Wide Eyed and Legless and was rather disappointed, given the amount of glowing recommendations it gets.

Looking forward to Rough Ride and Slaying the Badger which I have lined up for my hols next week.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Saw Millar at the Edinburgh Book Festival the other night. He was very good; candid and witty.

He mentioned omerta and said "what the peloton call omerta isn't omerta; not true omerta. It is lying." This was in reference to interviews he gave in 2000 saying that "cycling's not as bad as it used to be" while a diary he was keeping at the time, and which he found again while writing the book, was saying the exact opposite.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Someone in the audience asked why other riders don't speak out as loudly about doping.

Millar's reply was that he knows of riders in his generation (mid 30s) who have been riding clean for many years, but who early in their careers "made mistakes", and so have a guilty feeling and are unwilling to get on a soapbox because of it. Skeletons in the closet.

Someone also asked how the peloton has reacted to his book. He said he'd given copies to Michael Barry, Christian Vandevelde, Philippe Gilbert and a few others. One of them (maybe Barry?) had to stop reading because it was too close to the bone; too similar to his own experience.

Bought the book but haven't started it yet.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Thoroughlly enjoyed this book, a fascinating read.

Currently reading Ned Boulting's book 'How I Won The Yellow Jumper'. I'm about 100 pages in and I have to say, it is bloody excellent. Very witty and takes you to unfamiliar areas of The Tour.

Recently read Wide Eyed and Legless and was rather disappointed, given the amount of glowing recommendations it gets.

Looking forward to Rough Ride and Slaying the Badger which I have lined up for my hols next week.

I've just picked up Millar's book. I agree with you on Ned Boulting's book, and also "Wide Eyed and Legless" which I found disappointing. How cycle sport made it their best cycling book of all time is beyond me!

"Rough Ride" is great, as are all of Richard Moore's books except "Sky's the Limit". Not a bad read but not up to his usual standard.
  • ms_tree
    I've just got out from the library Cadel Evans Close to flying by Rob Arnold which looks like a good read. It's updated to include his World's win. The author has had conversations with Cadel,both his parents and his wife so shall look forward to reading that when I've finished 'the badger'.
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I have this fond image of The Tree Library, where there is an entire section devoted to cycling.

(My mother was a librarian, and built up a large stock of books about her passion of decor and furniture. Over a couple of decades I have to say.)
  • ms_tree
    To be honest Tusher I try to reserve them and borrow them from the library. Not only so I don't have to buy them (unless they are so good that I buy them afterwards apart of course from my Pantani collection in both English and Italian) but also so they are available for others to borrow as well
    As regards the Tree Library - this is quite appropriate as MrTree is a gardener so there are many tree and plant books amongst our vast collection.
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ooops, yes, I didn't make it clear that the large collection of decor books was IN the library where she worked. She just influenced what the library stocked (to a certain degree). Although I have always, always found the library to be excellent at ordering obscure books for me (and our library is a van which visits monthly). And if I'm out, the librarian leaves a book he thinks I may like in the porch. Our council tax pays for no street lighting, no sewage, no water supply, but boy do we have good bin men and our library van.

Can't help but wondering what will happen in bibliophile houses of the future- will they still have shelves loaded down with books, or will everything be on their e-books?
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Just dragging this back up as I couldn't find a thread just on his book per se.

Finished the book today and would recommend it thoroughly. I'm a Millar fan I must admit so it hasn't turned my opinion around or anything but it's a great read and an interesting look behind the scenes both into his crimes but also at his love of the sport.

I know there's a lot of 'life time ban' and unforgivers out there who I think should read the book. There's also a lot of people who seem to hate him for being up himself and whatever else. I find it hard to see how you'd dislike him after reading the book. He lays himself pretty bare. It also sets some facts straight for those who are unsure about his relationship with his British colleagues and Dave Brailsford amongst others.