Weight Training? Is it worth it?

awh18awh
awh18awh Posts: 15
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Hi

Does anybody go to the gym and do weight training to enhance their cycling? Does it make much of a difference or is it best to just get out on the bike to improve?

Any thoughts would be great!!

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sort of been done to death this question on forum... however... weight train if you like.. it will enhance you , it will never enhance your road cycling tho'
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Some say yes, others say no.

As far as I am concerned, if you want to enhance your cycling, cycle.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Here we go.......

[Sits back and waits for P_Tucker to spontaneously combust]
  • Nerrep
    Nerrep Posts: 112
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/65/5/2285.abstract

Admittedly single study, lots of potential for confounding variables, no control group etc; but on the basis of that, possibly beneficial and certainly unlikely to be harmful.

I don't know about cycling, but high level athletes in other endurance sports (e.g. rowing) certainly include weights as a significant part of their training.
  • 3 days per week of moderate upper body workout has improved my time trialling without question. I've put on a few kg's (which makes the typical lycra crowd cringe at the thought) but I'm faster, and recover quicker after hard rides.

It's worth experimenting with and seeing if it works for you.
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    There are quite a few fitness programmes out there like cyclo core which concentrate on cycling either on the road or on a turbo trainer but they alway put in some basic eight traiining for both your core and your legs.

Core will stabise your peddling on the bike and stop you wobbling so much when digging in. Leg work outs like lunges and squats will develope your muscles and connective tissues which, tbh, cant hurt!

I do leg work outs with weights and plyometrics and yoga for my flexability.

There are also books out there for weight lifting for cyclists. Buy them, see what you think and have a go if you want.

I would not rely/make a decision based solely on anyones studies or personal opinions, i will see for myself.

But like any sport, the more you do it the better you get at it!

Xom
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    If you do lots of hill climbing then upper body strengh can help no end. Have you seen the photos of Lance weight training?

Oh, if its been done to death then don't read a beginners forum and not expect beginners questions. We were all there once!
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    squigs wrote:
    If you do lots of hill climbing then upper body strengh can help no end. Have you seen the photos of Lance weight training?

Oh, if its been done to death then don't read a beginners forum and not expect beginners questions. We were all there once!

Calm down luv, done to death implying OP could have done a search of previous threads and debates.... anyways , I cave in... weight training is the way forward...
    (build the guns to look good in your mamil Astana top then)

OP and the rest , have read of this substantial thread
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0
    with contributions from people who might actually know their stuff - substitute core exercising for weight training...
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    No.
    More problems but still living....
  • awh18awh
    awh18awh Posts: 15
    Cheers for the feedback, seems thats a yes to it!

Sorry if its been "done to death". I didnt know how to search the threads, the search at the job just seems to do articles.

Cheers all
  • squigs
    squigs Posts: 149
    awh18awh wrote:
    Cheers for the feedback, seems thats a yes to it!

Sorry if its been "done to death". I didnt know how to search the threads, the search at the job just seems to do articles.

Cheers all

Don't worry about searching, just ask away. A year from now someone else will ask the same question and you will then be in a position to answer. Its a nice circle to be in. Its easier to ask than search endless threads for an answer.

Helmets, yes or no???????? :lol::lol::lol::lol: :evil:
    Sirrus Comp 2010 (commuting)
    Roubaix Pro SL Sram red (Weekend sportives)
    Certini Campagnolo Mirage (Turbo trainer)
  • has there been a discussion about helmets? maybe i should start one.......................
    To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid......

95kg to 87kg and dropping......

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    has there been a discussion about helmets? maybe i should start one.......................

Carbon vs ali? :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    tubs :twisted:

and the answer is NO
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Paul057
    Paul057 Posts: 167
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    has there been a discussion about helmets? maybe i should start one.......................

Carbon vs ali? :D

Ha ha, i've only been coming on here for about two weeks and i actually started a carbon vs alu thread the other day.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    campy or campag?
  • Weight training to gain a great deal of muscle mass probably wont help much but there is no harm in incorporating some form of superficial weight training programme into your training. Obviously, large muscles require oxygen to function correctly which will inhibit any cardio based sports endeavour. Dead lifts and squats a few times a week will help with your overall core body strength though.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    For general riding/racing you want white twitch muscle. For track sprinting/climbing you want brown power muscles.

My mates with big quads and hamstrings are lightning up hills but tire quickly and are spent after 3 hours.

If you want to do gym work, such as when it is raining, put a cd on in the spin studio, crank up the rsistance and churn for a couple of hours.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro