another chain topic. can't get my powerlink open :(

drkawaszelong
drkawaszelong Posts: 260
edited June 2011 in Workshop
hey all, seen alot of chain topics on here, and searched through as many as i could be bothered (first 3 pages)

none of them cover this though

how do you open up the Sram Powerlink bit? i've watched countless youtube videos on it, about pushing it together, hearing a click, then seperating them, but when i try, i push it together until my face goes blue, get a faint click (probably from the chain hitting the cranks) and i try to seperate it to no success.

aiya.... what am i doing wrong?

i'd rather not take an chaintool-come-angle grinder to it.

my chain is a pc1050 btw.

TIA :)

Comments

• PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    You can't undo a 10 speed sram powerlink. Use KMC instead, the missing link is undoable.
  • oh. damn. i've just bought a new kmc, that's why i wanted to take it off

thanks
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just to clarify - if it's a 10-speed chain, it uses a powerLOCK. The powerLOCK can't be re-opened.

If it's a 9-speed chain, it uses the powerLINK - which can be opened.

Pretty sure the 1050 chain is a 10-speed chain which means you're stuck.

Buy a KMC missing link, break the chain and insert the link. Then you can re-open it. Also a good idea to buy the KMC tool that is designed to re-open the link. (If you're going to do it regularly).

Mine cost £10 from Ribble: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000
  • cheers, i'm gonna sell on the chain i think, without any linking part...if anyone's gonna buy it.

one more thing, when i break the chain, do i pop the pin out that attaches the powerlock bit onto the actual chain?
  • Pokerface
    cheers, i'm gonna sell on the chain i think, without any linking part...if anyone's gonna buy it.

one more thing, when i break the chain, do i pop the pin out that attaches the powerlock bit onto the actual chain?

YOu can break the chain anywhere. But might as well break it at the Powerlock. And yes - just push out the pin (on both sides of the link to remove it).

Have to say though, a used 1050 chain isn't really worth much. Not expensive to buy it new! (Around £20)
  • To undo (then throwaway) a 10 speed powerlink I put the chain on small/small to relieve as much tension as possible, position the powerlink vertically, support one side plate on a solid object (I use an engineers vice) then whack the other side plate with a hammer :)
  • Pokerface wrote:
    cheers, i'm gonna sell on the chain i think, without any linking part...if anyone's gonna buy it.

YOu can break the chain anywhere. But might as well break it at the Powerlock. And yes - just push out the pin (on both sides of the link to remove it).

Have to say though, a used 1050 chain isn't really worth much. Not expensive to buy it new! (Around £20)

ahh ok, thanks

there is a LBS at the end of my road that buys virtually any second hand bike bits, so it's never to hard to hand down any bike bits onto them :D

and rothers,,,might as well use an angle grinder ;)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,885
    if you've got some link pliers, they will easily open a powerlock

with new sram chains i fit a kmc missing link instead of the powerlock
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    sungod wrote:
    if you've got some link pliers, they will easily open a powerlock
    with new sram chains i fit a kmc missing link instead of the powerlock

Ironically, this Powerlock issue was discussed the other day in another post...i have a Powerlock but didnt realise you couldnt open them (i'd tried many times by hand and just assumed they were bloomin tight)
    Made myself a pair of link pliers out of an old pair of circlip pliers last week...and although it wasnt easy to undo, the pliers did undo the powerlock. Doing it back up again wasnt any easier than the first time mind.
    Think i'll stay clear of Powerlock in the future on the grounds i like to take my chain off for lubing.
  • sungod
    centimani wrote:
    <...>.and although it wasnt easy to undo, the pliers did undo the powerlock. Doing it back up again wasnt any easier than the first time mind.
    <...>

i wouldn't put a used powerlock back on, could be dangerous, taking it off damages it, they're one-time use only
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    sungod wrote:
    centimani wrote:
    <...>.and although it wasnt easy to undo, the pliers did undo the powerlock. Doing it back up again wasnt any easier than the first time mind.
    <...>

i wouldn't put a used powerlock back on, could be dangerous, taking it off damages it, they're one-time use only

I have looked very carefully at it since. As said, i didnt realise it was a once only use, i'll be replacing it at the first opportunity. Better safe than sorry eh.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Just to clarify - a KMC link on a SRAM chain will NOT affect it? Don't ALL the links need to be the same to avoid jumping etc.?

Seems not as per the above, but are you sure?!
  • Pokerface
    Scrumple wrote:
    Just to clarify - a KMC link on a SRAM chain will NOT affect it? Don't ALL the links need to be the same to avoid jumping etc.?

Seems not as per the above, but are you sure?!

KMC link on a Sram chain is perfectly normal and acceptible. As long as they are the same width (and I think this only comes into play with über narrow 11 speed Campag chains).

Been running KMC on my Sram chains for years. No probs.
  • sungod
    ^^^this

i run kmc links on sram 10-speed chains, works fine, great for easy cleaning/servicing