On One Pompetamine or...

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,314
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm about to buy one of these for long distance rides (multi day, requiring a bit of luggage) and some commuting when I don't fancy using my singlespeed.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETVERSA/on-one-pompetamine-versa

Before I do, anyone got any massively better ideas? I've considered Boardman CX, Genesis Day 01 Alfine, Croix de Fer, Surly, Dolan CX, Cotic...

I looked at Ribble a bit but really want disc brakes for this bike, and preferably hub gears.

This seems to offer most of what I want for the best price, but I'm nervous I'll buy it and then spot the bike I really wanted :)

So, you're buying a fast touring bike with disc brakes, rack mounts, drop bars, budget ~850. What do you get?
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I think the Pompetamine's probably the best bet, especially for the money. I quite liked the Day01 Alfine (apart from the ugly-as-sin straight forks) but there have been reports of rubbish brake performance, not least from gaz545 on here.

Buy it, and tell me how good it is! :-)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Alfine 8 speed hub - Why not get it with the new 11 speed hub. I know there have been some issues in getting enough produced to satisfy demand, but surely worth waiting a month or two to get the superior gear range
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • pangolin
    Well, I mostly ride single speed at the moment, 8 will seem like a bonus. 11 weighs about the same I think, despite initial expectation that it would be less. Also it costs a lot more.

On One commented they expect the Versa 11 speed edition to cost about £1200 I think.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • stevep3156
    stevep3156 Posts: 37
    Hi,

I've just bought a Genesis Day One Alfine on the cycle to work scheme, after riding my singlespeed to work, & wanting something a little more versatile for potentially longer rides...sounds similar to your dliemma!

The Day One & On One look virtually identical on paper (bar the price - the On One looks better value!), so I'm hoping this review might help in some way!

What I would say is that it feels flipping heavy! Now i'm not the fittest lump, but the hub gears & disc brakes do add a considerable weight over a traditional road bike set-up, possibly limiting the 'fast-touring' possibilities. However that's probably more to do with my lack of fitness!!

In addition, the 8-speed gearing can seriously limit your speed - even I find myself spinning out on fast flat sections, & downhill I generally just coast. You can get round this by changing the rear cog, but then you'll lose the lower gears for steeper climbs.

I think this kind of bike is aimed more for cyclo-cross, so it can take virtually any punishment you can throw at it (perfect for riding to work), but unless you really really definitely want hub gears/discs, a traditional geared/rim brake set-up might suit better for faster rides...it will be lighter & give you a vastly bigger range for all gradients!

However, having waffled benignly for ages about it's disadvantages, I took one look at the orange paintjob on the Genesis & thought "I'm having that one!"... :)
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    Charge Mixer 8?

I've got it and am a fan.

The On One wasn't available when I got mine, but I'd get the On One if I was buying again.
  • pangolin
    Do you know what gearing you have stevep3156? Is it the standard 42 - 20?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Actually I built a Cotic Roadrat for my dad with an Alfine 8. Stuck a 39T on the front because he's got old knees, and I found it a bit undergeared (went up a 17% hill in the "direct drive" 5th gear just to prove I could).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • stevep3156
    stevep3156 Posts: 37
    Do you know what gearing you have stevep3156? Is it the standard 42 - 20?

The Genesis has a 40-20 set up, so if the On One has 42 up front it will probably suit much better anyway!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you can put up with hub brakes not discs and want a veritable bargain

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... ts_id=9227

In fact for that price you could use it as a parts donor for a steel frame and still save a wedge!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pangolin
    Nope the new Genesis is 42 - 20.

The On One is 39 - 18
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    pangolin wrote:
    I'm about to buy one of these for long distance rides (multi day, requiring a bit of luggage) and some commuting when I don't fancy using my singlespeed.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETVERSA/on-one-pompetamine-versa

Before I do, anyone got any massively better ideas? I've considered Boardman CX, Genesis Day 01 Alfine, Croix de Fer, Surly, Dolan CX, Cotic...

I looked at Ribble a bit but really want disc brakes for this bike, and preferably hub gears.

This seems to offer most of what I want for the best price, but I'm nervous I'll buy it and then spot the bike I really wanted :)

So, you're buying a fast touring bike with disc brakes, rack mounts, drop bars, budget ~850. What do you get?

I was looking at the Pompetamine Verso recently and was impressed. Only doubt I had with it was it's apparent lack bosses/eyelets for mudguards and pannier racks. But apart from this good.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • bmca2010
    bmca2010 Posts: 54
    thinkin about a Pompetamine myself. what the crack with hub gears tho. if its got a 40 20 setup. is this the higest/lowest gear that can be acheived. sorry for such a daft question aint got a clue about them
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    According to this review the ratios are
    0.53, 0.64, 0.75, 0.85, 1, 1.22, 1.42 and 1.62

1 gives you the actual gear inches of your sprocket and ring. There is no direct drive with Alfine even at 1:1 (5th gear)

My Alfine hub felt much better after an oil dip. It rotated more freely and changed gear more positively.

Looking at Alfine frames you have to take account of chain tensioning: DONT buy a bike with the spring tension doobery, that is for retro-fitting.
    If you want to run it with rack and mudguards, look at the rear brake location. Pompatine works with normal racks.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Stay away from the genesis day 01!!!

I bought one and ended up returning it due to a serious issue with the brakes. And i know of others that have the same issue

Due to genesis using a tektro lyra disc brake (bottom of the range) and a shimano rotor. The rotor doesn't match up with the brake system and they basically don't work. My rear brake was just not working, i would pull on it, it would bite, and then it would let go and i would stop decelerating. I would not advise anyone to go for this bike!

My issues and how I sent it back can be read in full on my blog
  • Hang on. You want a bike primarily for multi-day tours, so you're looking at cyclocross bikes?

Sorry to be a bit old-school, here, but surely a proper touring bike would be better at that sort of thing? They're designed for stability when carrying loads, and would most likely out-perform most CX bikes.

I'd also say no to a hub-gear, though. They're heavy and inefficient in all but the one "sweet" gear, also they won't have much range when fully laden. I never find rear mechs too much of a hassle, though.

Try having a look at the Jamis Bossanova:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/ ... anova.html

Evans have sold out, but were doing them within your budget, One of the other UK dealers may be able to help you.
  • pangolin
    Thanks for the info Gaz. I had read that you had issues with the brakes but didn't know you had actually returned it. I'll stop being swayed by the orange paint...

UndercoverElephant, I perhaps wasn't clear in my first post. I won't be using it for heavily laden touring. I've had a touring bike previously with 2 panniers + handlebar bag but this bike will be for much lighter riding (large seat-post bag + tri bag or handlebar bag) such as Audaxing.

I'm not completely sold on the Alfine, but I cleaned my road bike again at the weekend and it reminded me of how bored I am of levering gunk out of derailleurs. Have you ridden this hub yourself? Or Gaz in fact, how was your experience of the gearing? Do you think it felt inefficient? I think I'm willing to give it a punt.

Digger, that's a bit small for me. Thanks anyway.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I bought a Genesis Day One Alfine for commuting about 5 weeks ago. I wouldn’t get one again. I bought it for bullet proofness and reliability through the winter. I commute 30-50 miles per day on very rough roads.
    The gears are either very sensitive or have a big problems. I bought the bike form Edinburgh Bike Coop in 15% off sale. The gears were wrongly indexed from the start. This also meant I had to replace the cable myself. It often crunches on change down to 4 from 5. EBC say this is due to misalignment of cable. I think there may be major problem, but after fine tuning the cable again it has not crunched today. I know my way round bikes and even I’ve had it back to the shop twice. The back cones went seriously loose at one point.
    The brakes seem Ok but not great. It is ultra heavy. I wore out the conti tyres in three weeks and now run Marathon Racers which are fast, puncture proof and reflective. Changing tyres is horrendous outside so get bullet proof tyres. This bike is seriously heavy as I commute with a rack and at least one pannier. Sometimes other commuters are surprised that they can get past me up the hills. The upside of all this weight is that I have become seriously strong. I am now flying on my Mad One.
    One of my club members filled his bike frame with lead for added resistance. With this bike there is no need. I’ve always managed to keep derailleur’s going through the salt and muck, and they are actually long lasting and reliable.
    With hindsight I’ve have bought a 105 based cross bike e.g. Croix de Fer or Riddley, and continued to use my trashed Edinburgh Bike Courier for the really cruddy stuff in deep winter.
    It looks good but is already the only bike I regret buying.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Hang on. You want a bike primarily for multi-day tours, so you're looking at cyclocross bikes?

Sorry to be a bit old-school, here, but surely a proper touring bike would be better at that sort of thing? They're designed for stability when carrying loads, and would most likely out-perform most CX bikes.

I'd also say no to a hub-gear, though. They're heavy and inefficient in all but the one "sweet" gear, also they won't have much range when fully laden. I never find rear mechs too much of a hassle, though.

Evans have sold out, but were doing them within your budget, One of the other UK dealers may be able to help you.

Hub gears = low maintenance, Rohloff the bench mark.
    Disc brakes = no more worn out rims + better braking.

HTH.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna wrote:
    Hang on. You want a bike primarily for multi-day tours, so you're looking at cyclocross bikes?

Hub gears = low maintenance, Rohloff the bench mark.
    Disc brakes = no more worn out rims + better braking.

HTH.

Disc brakes I get, even though most people I know with a disc equipped CX bike say that they can barely stop. Good discs would be great in the wet. But they are also heavy. Note that the bike I recommended had discs, I'm not sure if they're good or not. Personally, I can replace a rim every couple of years.

Hub gears I'm less sold on, eight gears for touring or audax? The jumps in the range must be pretty big normally, but if you're laden or doing a route with hills? Reliability to me would also include ease of fixing, I'm sure they're not 100% reliable, nothing is. When it breaks, how easy is it to get fixed? Erm? Especially if you're touring. A rear mech, for all people complain about them, is a simple thing to replace when it dies. I wouldn't want to have to find someone who's capable of repairing an alfine.
  • Disc brakes I get, even though most people I know with a disc equipped CX bike say that they can barely stop. Good discs would be great in the wet. But they are also heavy. Note that the bike I recommended had discs, I'm not sure if they're good or not. Personally, I can replace a rim every couple of years.

Hub gears I'm less sold on, eight gears for touring or audax? The jumps in the range must be pretty big normally, but if you're laden or doing a route with hills? Reliability to me would also include ease of fixing, I'm sure they're not 100% reliable, nothing is. When it breaks, how easy is it to get fixed? Erm? Especially if you're touring. A rear mech, for all people complain about them, is a simple thing to replace when it dies. I wouldn't want to have to find someone who's capable of repairing an alfine

That's my view now.
  • pangolin
    Disc brakes I get, even though most people I know with a disc equipped CX bike say that they can barely stop. Good discs would be great in the wet. But they are also heavy. Note that the bike I recommended had discs, I'm not sure if they're good or not. Personally, I can replace a rim every couple of years.

Hub gears I'm less sold on, eight gears for touring or audax? The jumps in the range must be pretty big normally, but if you're laden or doing a route with hills? Reliability to me would also include ease of fixing, I'm sure they're not 100% reliable, nothing is. When it breaks, how easy is it to get fixed? Erm? Especially if you're touring. A rear mech, for all people complain about them, is a simple thing to replace when it dies. I wouldn't want to have to find someone who's capable of repairing an alfine.

I'm surprised by your experience of disk brakes. I had Avid brakes before and they were awesome. Much better than rim brakes and still good in the rain.

The reliability issue with hub gears is a good point. If it was to break and I was in the middle of nowhere, that would be a problem. But how likely is that really? Most if not all of my riding will be in the UK. And the most recent world record holder for circumnavigating the globe by bike used Alfine. http://www.alpkit.com/spotlight/bikepacking-around-the-world

Mark Beaumont before him used Rohloff. Neither had problems with the hub (though Mark did have some spoke issues).

Thanks for your input, a bit of debate on the pros and cons is always helpful. I have (controversially?) ordered the bike now, so will let you know how I get on when it arrives. Frames come into stock on the 30th, so hopefully not long.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493

That is because disc brakes on drop brake leavers genreally suck balls. You need to have a brake caliper arm that is quite short and thus losses most of the power that a disc brake has.