my nanolight fills with water.....

ozzy1000_0
ozzy1000_0 Posts: 144
edited June 2011 in Workshop
hi all, does anyone own a Planet X nanolight??

i have a sram red equipped high modulus nanolight.. i love it, really stiff and racey feeling, its definately made me faster :) but.... i've had the bike for a while now and thought i might tweak the bar height a tad, so.. off with the stem cap and the expander bolt it dropped down in the steerer, so i tipped the bike upsidedown and.... a lot of water came out!!!! i mean A LOT!! i've been out in someserious rain lately and i guess it must be coming in through the cable routing... or around the head set??... either way the main tubes probably had a good mug+ full of water in them :(

anyone else experienced similar??

Comments

• Water in frames is very common. Probably coming in down the seat tube, you might find that there is a hole in the top of your seat post, under the saddle. But even if there isn't water will get in around the seat tube.
    Some people drill a small hole under the bottom bracket shell to let the water out.
    Metal frames often have small hole which vent any gasses as they are being welded. The water can run out of these too. I often had this happen with an old mountain bike. A spray of GT85 will help the water run out.
  • ozzy1000_0
    ozzy1000_0 Posts: 144
    Water in frames is very common. Probably coming in down the seat tube, you might find that there is a hole in the top of your seat post, under the saddle. But even if there isn't water will get in around the seat tube.
    Some people drill a small hole under the bottom bracket shell to let the water out.
    Metal frames often have small hole which vent any gasses as they are being welded. The water can run out of these too. I often had this happen with an old mountain bike. A spray of GT85 will help the water run out.

thanks for that, I'm not sure i'm so keen on drilling a hole in my carbon frame.. :/ i guess its made of plastic so a bit of water won't hurt too much?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The water might not hurt the carbon fibre but I'd assume if you tipped out a mug full that's enough to completely fill the BB shell. Regardless of how good your bearing seals are, it can't be a good idea having the BB components constantly submerged.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Turned my Nanolight upside down a few days back and a dribble of water came out - about a teaspoonful.
    More problems but still living....