Very nearly sported a bulge on the wrong side of my lycra...

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Went home for lunch (as I normally do) and hammered back to the office. Feeling good, strong legs, tucked down on the bullhorns to slip a hard gusty wind and scroomed into the small roundabout at the foot of our business park.

I was probably carrying too much speed (but you know how it is when you're feeling good and the tarmac is dry and grippy).

Inside pedal hit the ground and dug in catapaulting the bike in the air straight on off the roundabout, flinging both feet out of the cages.

Fortunately the trajectory took me off the roundabout at an exit rather than into a curb or street furniture, fortunately there was no stationary traffic to headbutt.

Ten yards later I got the tankslapping front end back under control and one foot back in a pedal. Jeebus that was scary!

Brakeless fixed? You must be mental, with out captain dura-ace there to step in I'd be picking lumps of gravel out of shattered teeth right now.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Might need some new Lycra after that anyway :shock:

Cornered a bit too quickly last week and pedal struck the floor on a slightly ridged bit of roundabout. Little bit more angle and if the wheel had gone I'd have just slid across the lanes. Does get the heart going...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Whewwww,

For a minute there I thought you meant the bulge was on the outside :shock:

Not a good look. :oops:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Being brakeless might encourage people to ride in less cavalier fashion. I expect I'd have a fear-induced top speed of about 10mph.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Being brakeless might encourage people to ride in less cavalier fashion. I expect I'd have a fear-induced top speed of about 10mph.

this is true - they'd all wear helmets and be roundheads :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    _Brun_ wrote:

this is true - they'd all wear helmets and be roundheads :D

I still contend that the greatest addition to road safety would be a mandatory 8 inch spike welded to the steering wheel / handlebars.

The roads would be filled with courteous, slow moving vehicles moving with the utmost of consideration and care.

And the occasional corpse.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I am thick. I do not understand the title.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    PBo wrote:

bloke in lycra = bulge at front
    scared bloke in lycra = bulge at the back
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo wrote:

bloke in lycra = bulge at front
    scared bloke in lycra = bulge at the back
    well-endowed bloke in tight lycra with weak seams = bulge on the outside
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Title=He nearly cacked himself!

I nearly came a cropper the other day, getting a tow off a lorry, up to 36 mph, it pulled away and I started losing speed just as I reached the point where I normally go onto the pavement/cyclepath. It's a nasty stretch of road, the pavement is deserted and it lets me get around a set of lights further up the road, that's why I use it. Anyway, I turn up the dropped kerb and very nearly go straight into a lampost when I forget I'm doing 30+mph on a stretch where I'm normally doing 16! :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pedal strikes are the things of nightmares, last had one about 12 months ago when a workman stepped out and I had to tighten my line unexpectedly, fortunatley I wear baggies so bulges not an issue!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.