Ouch - first off in 4 years...

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
My own fault, caught a greasy manhole cover I should have avoided while filtering and lost the front wheel at about 10mph... landed on a nice shiney and smooth new bit of tarmaced pavement managing to avoid the kerbstone... Even so, collected nasty grazes on knee, thigh, elbow and shoulder on left side but fortunately no serious damage...

For a change a couple of drivers in the queue (all women i note) did ask if i was OK and needed help... however despite the acute pain I jumped up, noncholantly leapt back on the bike and cheerfully said 'No thanks, I'm fine' with a smile to hide my embarrassment and cycled off to lick my wounds (ok, apply some Boots wipes i carry in the pack) out of sight down the next side street !

Stings in the shower tho :(
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• Stings in the shower tho Sad

What's wrong with his own shower?
  • optimisticbiker
    Stings in the shower tho Sad

rats, missed that one... and i looked hard too... :roll:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Stings in the shower tho Sad

rats, missed that one... and i looked hard too... :roll:

"Don't stand so close to me"

:lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    S'funny isn't it optimistic; we have an accident, and it bloody well hurts, but our pride makes us jump up and say "Nothing's wrong! Feel great etc!" It's a weird man/proud/cyclist thing I guess. However, you're OK and that's all that matters and I will express my good wishes to you as you did to me to me recently when I had my first accident after about 4-5 years of regular commuting! What with the weather this past week, all I keep saying to other cyclists when we stop at lights etc is "Don't rush - just get home safe!"

God bless mate.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good plan to carry Boots wipes. Might start doing that.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • optimisticbiker
    Hi Raymondo, thanks for the returned sympathy... I'll survive, just going to be sore for a few days

Was all the more embarrasing because I caught the slide, got my foot down and then slipped on somehtng squishy in the road and lost it again...
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I find the opportunities to be embarrassed while riding a bicycle are endless! But, so are the chances to appear cool! It's what we do x
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • optimisticbiker
    cjcp wrote:
    Good plan to carry Boots wipes. Might start doing that.
    Antiseptic wipes... Good for cleaning road crap out of grazes, chain gunk off hands, bird muck off the seat and a whole host of yet to be figured uses...
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    ouch! damn metal on the road . . .glad you're ok
  • Ouch, that sounds sore, those manhole covers are a curse, especially in the wet with a spot of diesel on them.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Certainly a bit crappy out there - I had to peal myself of a taxi's rear end yesterday after I'd gone through a puddle, hit something and got thrown across the road, skimmed a bonet of one car and head planted the taxi.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    All I keep saying to other cyclists when we stop at lights etc is "Don't rush - just get home safe!"

Hah! You sly bastard! :wink:
  • Was riding with one of my mates (an engineer) who had a similar off. He was more embarrassed than injured and quickly collected himself at the side of the road. I shall never forget his first words..... "What happened there? I was riding well within the design parameters of my bike :oops: "..

As I say, he is an engineer....

Hope you heal quickly.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Ouch ! Speedy healing !
    Good tip on the antiseptic wipes though...

I don't know to what extent the Get a Grip initiative has been promoted within cycling - I certainly haven't seen it. It's being actively pushed in the motorcycling world, to whom manhole covers and the like present the same hazard.

Have a look here:
    http://www.getagripuk.org/Main-content/why-a-campaign.htmll
    Essentially it's promoting the replacement of metal manhole covers with composite, non-slip versions. Not only do they provide better traction but they're also less likely to be nicked!
    There's a petition on the website, sign up here:
    http://www.getagripuk.org/Main-content/petition.html
    Misguided Idealist
  • optimisticbiker
    Thanks all for your kind words... (with the possible exception of KB and DM :D)

Everything was very... (I was going to say stiff, but caught that one lol).. reluctant to move this morning... its amazing how many things ache in sympathy after a restless night. Took some willpower to get on bike and not use PT (not helped by Mrs OB who still thinks this is a passing fad despite commuting over 10y now) but once moving it was fine and fast time into work too (not a PB tho, that would have been expecting a lot).

@Fireblade96 (guess you ride a mbike too) - I agree and I know my son and his wife (Honda VFR800, Kawasaki 650 respectively) have signed up as well...
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Some would say the reason your front wheel slipped and you went down was because you were having improper thoughts. Did you get the phone numbers of any of the girls who helped you up :oops: ?

Hope you are feeling better.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    At least you are ok and back on the bike !!

As for Sting in your shower...... I would call 'The Police' ......... Sorry ! :oops:
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I feel your pain - I had an off last week on a man-hole cover in the wet.

But as CJ pointed out "chicks dig scars" so its all good.

What are people thoughts on whether not pedaling whilst going over man-holes covers might help? My thinking was that the back end is more likely to slide out whilst under pressure than free wheeling?
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.