The first wax cylinder, single, CD, or MP3 you bought

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
C'mon, this should flush things out!

Mine was Golden Brown by the Stranglers at the relatively old age of 11. I'd seen the video on telly with that sepia tint and the Radio Cairo microphone and was hooked - I had to have the record (didn't acutally own a record player yet!).

What was the first tune you purchased with your own scrimped together pennies? Come on, be honest.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sam Plam Pam Moi - Plastic Bertrand
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Golden Brown, I loved that tune as a kid on my paper round. Didn't find out it was about heroin until much later.

First vinyl - Get Down On it - Kool and the Gang 5p in charity shop when I was about 8 led to parents buying me a record player (i think to stop me playing it non stop on theirs) when I was 9

First Vinyl Album where Raiders of the Pop Charts, supplied with said record player.

First Tape - Now that's what I call music (note no volume number it was the first it didn't have one).

First CD - Tango in the night - Fleetwood Mac

None of those represent my music preferences at all.........

I now have a NAS drive with 20,000+ mp3 on it. I also have around 2,500 vinyl records as well.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sketchley wrote:
    First Tape - Now that's what I call music (note no volume number it was the first it didn't have one)

I've got that on vinyl.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    edited June 2011
    First 7" single was Madness - One Step Beyond, 1979

First compact cassette was Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden, 1980.

The first 12" album I bought was Adam & the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier. Also 1980 I think.

First CD... Blimey, now that one I struggle to recall. Maybe something by The Pogues.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Adam and The Ants - Ant Rap (I was 6 . . .). Wasn't a patch on Prince Charming but the B-side was wicked . . .

I REALLY wanted to be Adam Ant at the time . . .
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The Wombles theme :oops: 1972/3

I was very young (6 or 7)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    First 7" - 19 - Paul Hardcastle (n-n-n-n-nineteen)
    First Vinyl Album - Grand Funk Railroad "Shine On" With 3d glasses and poster
    First decent vinyl album - Chicago Transit Authority
    First Tape - Dire Straits Alchemy

Record player has gone as have around 2500 vinyl albums that I collected over the years......I have kept some of the "rarer" ones and half decent records.

We know have a 100gb drive wired into the car sound system with loads of MP£ music films on it for junior - oh how technology moves on.......

I had an 8 track in my old Ford Fiesta Mk1 when I was a kid!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    "Vienna" - Ultravox, 45rpm vinyl single

Not bad as a first effort

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    First Tape - Now that's what I call music (note no volume number it was the first it didn't have one)

I've got that on vinyl.

same. but I cant remember my first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sketchley
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I've got that on vinyl.

Swap?

I think I may have too, it maybe Now 2 though....
    --
    Chris

• Lucnab
    Lucnab Posts: 5
    The Wombles theme :oops: 1972/3

I was very young (6 or 7)

So glad I'm not the only one who bought that :)

Also bought the album too :oops:

1st cd was Queen Greatest hits
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I was at a party a few years back and guests were asked to bring their own vinyl. I think about half brought NOW albums - god it was a long night!

Einstein-a-go-go by Landscape or Wild in the Country by Bow Wow Wow but I cant fully remember
  • sketchley
    On my MP3 drive, I have Now 1 - 65. There's some good stuff on there, some crap too. Interesting history of pop down the ages too.

Currently Listening to Metallica Death Magnetic (Guitar Hero III Rip)
    --
    Chris

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Helen Wheels on a 7" single way back when

Queen - Shear Heart Attack or maybe The Space Ritual by Hawkwind was my first LP. 75p from the local used records emporium, the one that always had a whiff of funny fags in it.

Never bought a pre-recorded cassette in my life I don't think but a mate gave me a tape in lieu of petrol money once, with a picture of Alan Freeman on it & called By Invitation Only - a compilation of stuff that Fluff was playing on his Saturday afternoon rock show in the 70s.

First CD was Brothers In Arms, like everyone else who had a shiny new CD player in the 80s.

MP3 - don't recall the first one I bought. There always seemed to be some on various PCs though.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Stiltskin - Inside

from Our Price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkeeAVXD78
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Can't remember whether it was Ant Music or Madness Embaressment, both around similar time christmas / new year 80/81.

I remember going to a disco with a white stripe across my nose and spiked up hair.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Paul Young - Love of the Common People.

I must have been about 8 at the time.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    First single - The Liquidator - Harry J and the All Stars, they'd sold out of Something by the Beatles.

First album - Stand up by Jethro Tull.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Stiltskin - Inside

from Our Price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkeeAVXD78

Wasnt that the song where the 'band' had recorded a short instrumental for a Levis ad which became so popular they had to go away and write the rest of the tune and the lyrics?!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sketchley wrote:
    On my MP3 drive, I have Now 1 - 65

Me too! Maybe even one or two more. I'll check this evening if I remember. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Tommy Steele on a 45 'Singin the Blues' - think I must have been about 15
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Queen A Kind of Magic after watching Highlander :oops: :lol:
  • jimmcdonnell
    jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
    First single was 'Sugar sugar' by the Archies, 1969. I was 7. First LP I bought with my own money was 'The Untouchable' by Alvin Stardust in 1974. I was the 11-year-old at school with silver hair. And a bullying problem, no surprise.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

I've got that on vinyl.

and i have got it on CD!

My first singe was "fog on the tyne" - Paul Gascoine 7" single
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Single: Rat Trap by the Boomtown Rats, Album: Regata de Blanc by the Police. CD, ain't got a clue
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Weezer - Buddy Holly .... oooo weeee oooo
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Single...Tears of a Clown (The Beat)
    Album Live '79 (Hawkwind).....
    CD Temple of Love (Sisters of Mercy)

Eclectic tastes?
  • sketchley
    woodnut wrote:
    Single...Tears of a Clown (The Beat)
    Album Live '79 (Hawkwind).....
    CD Temple of Love (Sisters of Mercy)

Eclectic tastes?

I have that on vinyl
    --
    Chris

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    edited June 2011
    7" never bought any
    12" single - together in electric dreams by phil oakey and giorgio moroder
    LP hysteria by human league
    CD streetlife - the best of roxy music and brian ferry......hhhhmmmm, think I'm gonna play it now.

ETA what is this MP3 of which you speak? Can i play it on a grammophone?
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    :D The CD was the updated 92 version or summat ... I used to have it in vinyl myself plus the first 2 albums. Apparently they are still going and doing Knebworth on the 9th of next month