bearings for integrated headset??

shefbiker
shefbiker Posts: 255
edited June 2011 in Workshop
Hi.
Can anyone tell me where i can get replacement cartridge bearings for a campy-compatible integrated headset? The bearings are 41.8mm outside diameter 45degx45deg angular contact...
Failing that (and actually my preference if not too expensive) would be to swap the headset for one that uses loose balls. is this possible? I think i've seen a campagnolo centuar headset that would let me do this....
Thanks

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Somewhere on the cartridge bearing will be a model number. Type this model number into google - job done. You will notice that there is a huge price difference between bike shops and non-bike shops. This is known as an idiot tax. To avoid it, purchase from the non-bike shop.
  • shefbiker
    shefbiker Posts: 255
    Thanks for your reply. The only marking on the bearing is 418ACB 45deg x 45deg 41.8x30.2x8-09G. None of this appears to be a normal bearing code.
    Does anyone know the code for these bearings?
    Thanks
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    You may find that chamfered bearing is hard to get outside the cycle trade. That code is correct for that bearing. It's just that many bearing factors don't list it as to a great extent it isn't used outside headsets if at all.
    If you find a supplier of this type of bearing that isn't charging the normal prices do the cycling world a favour and tell us all.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's often just cheaper to buy the same pattern headset - I've often found they're the same price as a pair of spare bearings
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    shefbiker wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. The only marking on the bearing is 418ACB 45deg x 45deg 41.8x30.2x8-09G. None of this appears to be a normal bearing code.
    Does anyone know the code for these bearings?
    Thanks

standard Campy hidenset (integrated) bearings size.

45X45 degrees 41.8 OD 30.2 ID and 8mm thick.

headset standard IS42
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown