Crank bolts

puncturemagnet
puncturemagnet Posts: 52
edited June 2011 in The workshop
The four allen head bolt heads pictured below have been turned, not by me BTW! :o

_H0S0084.jpg

I want to use this crank on an SS project but only the big chainring.

Do the bolts hold all the chainrings onto the crank or just the two smaller ones? I'm thinking they probably do so it's either drill them out or leave it as it is.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No idea, its not a proper higher end set, those 'bolts' may well just be rivets (they are on a couple of cheaper sets I have) and the diamater doesn't look right either, I suspect you'll be getting new cranks, decent used square taper can be had for around £10 delivered so it won't break the bank - then you'll need a chainring - or for £27 new I'm getting a stronglight set (the 55S) with chainwheel, all alloy and super lightweight - but I'll have some reasonable suntours coming off.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The four allen head bolt heads pictured below have been turned, not by me BTW! :o

_H0S0084.jpg

I want to use this crank on an SS project but only the big chainring.

Do the bolts hold all the chainrings onto the crank or just the two smaller ones? I'm thinking they probably do so it's either drill them out or leave it as it is.

find the direction called Away. found it? no go and throw the cranks in that direction.

No go and find some cranks that have replaceable rings.

4 arm have a BCD of 104mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown