First Drenching

danbrum
danbrum Posts: 45
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Well just road for over an hour in a relentless downpour on my nice new bike getting it wet and also covered in road crud in the process. I've given it a wipe down, sprayed with GT85 and put it near the radiator and I will lube it when it's dry, just wondering if there's anything else I can do to try and keep it in good nick.

Comments

• danbrum
    I've moved it but why not?
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    It would probably never happen, but i wouldnt take the risk with the paint work!
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I would suggest you tuck it up in bed with you. If you only have a single bed then don't expect to share it. Get yourself a lilo and park it next to the bed where you can put an arm out and keep hold of its crank, for comfort. Don't nag it to get up in the morning, let it lie in or allow it to have a sicky. In future have more respect for it and at the first sign of rain take shelter and get somebody to pick it up,
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • danbrum
    I would but I don't want my other bike to get jealous, I already found my padded shorts boiling on the hob :roll:
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You seem to be having "bike trouble" :( Have you thought about bike beds. Where you can put one in the top and one underneath. Its, important you don't dis them, you know..
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • D4RK1
    D4RK1 Posts: 49
    i got caught in the rain too today, only for the last 15 mins so not too bad. Havent touched my bike yet tho, ill let it drip dry off. Where abouts in brum are ya mate? Ilive in walsall. Went to mere green, sutton, erdington then past the villa and back upto reat barr, over the beacon and through aldridge. Thats when the rain came!
  • WD-40 all over it. Make sure you get into all the little nooks!

That'll sort it out :D

Don't by the way!
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    Wipe the chain dry of excess water then check it doesnt need lubing.
    Upturn the bike, water can get down the seat tube then settle in the BB area.
    Lay the bike on its side, cassette facing down, ive had water collect in the cassette somehow.
    The only thing i havnt been doing is sharing the bed with it afterwards...ive obviously been neglecting it :lol:
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Don't worry about it. Remember Rule 9
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    danbrum wrote:
    put it near the radiator.

What the hell you doing with radiators on in June!!!!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    danowat wrote:
    danbrum wrote:

In a normal summer i would say the same...but i have had them on this month :oops: ive not worn shorts since that weekend (british summertime) in april. Don't think the temp in leic has been over 20, or felt above 20 (due to the wind) since april, and a night has been as low as 4! Piss poor, might be dry, but its windy as f*ck and deffinately not sun bathing temperatures.
  • danbrum
    danowat wrote:
    danbrum wrote:

I turned them on to dry my stuff cos my flat is always cold, sometimes I'll put a jumper on thinking it's a cold day and then it's really warm out. :lol:
    D4RK1 wrote:
    i got caught in the rain too today, only for the last 15 mins so not too bad. Havent touched my bike yet tho, ill let it drip dry off. Where abouts in brum are ya mate? Ilive in walsall. Went to mere green, sutton, erdington then past the villa and back upto reat barr, over the beacon and through aldridge. Thats when the rain came!

I'm in South Birmingham, I got the rain going out towards Redditch and then back up all the way towards Kings Norton, where it was sunny, then just as I got in my flat it started to piss it down again.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    That god you weren't on a carbon bike. It would have been a write off, in rain like that.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    There must be some serious bike lovers on this thread 8) Never use WD-40 on your bike. I was caught in that shower too near the M6J9 heading to Darlaston. It was really pouring. My Decathlon rain coat kept me partially dry - it was hot and sweaty riding. I just left the bike to dry off in the hall. Might have to lube the chain after a check over the weekend but just de-greased/lube over the weekend so not too worried.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Always thought you northern chaps were hard! Maybe the bike's tougher than you...it won't rust overnight and when it does get a loving going over with a rag and some oil it appreciates it all the more. That's what I tell the wife anyway.
    Ecrasez l’infame