Kysrium Equipe or Hope Hoops RS 3 Mono

papajimbo
papajimbo Posts: 61
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
I can get both for £250 or less - my very maximum budget. Which would be best for fast commuting and the odd sportive. I want something that will pick up speed quickly as my 15 mile each way commute is full of twists, turns cycle path gates and road junctions.

To go on a Caadd9, I weigh 80kg.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Can't comment on the Kysriums but I've just (a month ago) got the Hope Hoops as my daily commuting wheels and have found them to be excellent. Can't really tell the difference, on my commute, between them and my Fulcrum Racing 1s.

Mavic Open Pro rims - pretty much the defacto standard for any hand built fast commuting wheel, 32 spokes and MTB derived hubs for handling the mucky days. Also, if you care about that kind of thing, designed and built in the UK.

However, if you like the sound of silence don't get them. Hope hubs are distinctive in their sound to say the lease. If you like your freewheel to sound like a small chainsaw ticking over then these are the wheels for you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Hope Hoops on my winter road/summer commuting bike too, and have likewise been very pleased with them.
    They are remarkably loud though. I've had pedestrians turn around and stare when I freewheel past so they also double as a defacto warning device.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    So where can you get the Hope Hoops for that price?
  • claudie
    claudie Posts: 18
    Another vote for hopes. I've had them for 8 months with no issues, they were also significantly more comfortable than the Shimano r500 wheels they replaced and I now like the hub noise!
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Whats the hub noise like? I was going for Hope hubs in a set I am getting built - but was recommended to go for PMP hubs - as quieter and lower maintenance. I currently have Fulcrums on my best bike and I like the clicky noise the hubs make when free wheeling - are Hope's significantly different / louder?
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    Whats the hub noise like? I was going for Hope hubs in a set I am getting built - but was recommended to go for PMP hubs - as quieter and lower maintenance. I currently have Fulcrums on my best bike and I like the clicky noise the hubs make when free wheeling - are Hope's significantly different / louder?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's a constant buzzing noise. Quite loud really, but I quite like it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    Could everyone please stop saying "Hoops".
  • dreamlx10 wrote:
    Could everyone please stop saying "Hoops".

You better contact Hope and tell them as thats what there branding them !

I have the same hubs built up on Ambrosio rims - the free hub is very loud, much louder than my Fulcrum 3's.
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    You better contact Hope and tell them as thats what there branding them !

They're a mountain bike company, what do you expect !!!