Removing oil stuck to paint work?

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited June 2011 in Workshop
Hi

I have never really has this problem before, but on my Allez 16 (2010), any oil from the say the chain seems to "stick" to the paint work, or if I have greasy hands it stains the frame.

The paint work is like a silver grey colour, but rather than being shinny its like a slightly corse, dull, but tough paint job.

I have a environmentally freindly degreaser for cleaning the chain etc, but even that won't clean the frame, its seems to just spread dirt :shock: car wash plus water doesn't seem to help, again only shifting and spreading the dirt.

Any ideas for something that will remove it, but not my paint work, once I have got it clean I will give the frame a bit of polish.

Anyone else have this problem :oops:

Thanks

Comments

• rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    paraffin.
  • rake wrote:
    paraffin.

oh - ok... heard of it, not sure I have any (my dad will!) is this similar to white spirit, I also have meths... :D not sure which of these strong substances will remove my paint work :shock:
  • marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    BABYWIPES !
  • marksteven wrote:
    BABYWIPES !

ahhhhhhh - with 2 kids we have plenty of them - I like these tips, keep em coming.

I wonder why my paint work likes dirt so much, can I use car wax on a bike frame?
  • You might find the car wax takes it off.

Wax is fine on the frame - use it all the time. Apart from carbon frames, which it will, of course, melt :wink:
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    wd-40 is a greatly underestimated cleaner, then wash off
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    +1 WD40 and baby wipes
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    You can buy degreasing wipes from B&Q or similar - they're like baby wipes but better.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    P_Tucker wrote:
    You can buy degreasing wipes from B&Q or similar - they're like baby wipes but better.

NB do NOT use these on actual babies.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    My son's Allez has exactly the same problem. It seems to be the factory grease/ lubricant that the chain has on it from new. It is a bugger to shift!
  • Pilot Pete wrote:
    My son's Allez has exactly the same problem. It seems to be the factory grease/ lubricant that the chain has on it from new. It is a bugger to shift!

is the bike in a matte grey? Rather than the grease/oil I think its the paint job?

I think I had excess oil on the chain, which was soon removed with baby wipes!!! Baby wipes have not cleaded the stained frame though, will try WD...
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    When you've got it off, get yourself some ptfe spray and give the bike a spray with it. It'll make it much easier to remove next time you have to
  • I can confirm Asda own brand WD40 is a fine de-greaser!

Phil_D you will need a lot more to clean your bike.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Lighter fuel. Ronsonol in the yellow can from your local fag shop. Baby wipes work to an extent but might not be effective on a matt finish. Any matt finish is going to hold the dirt.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    is the bike in a matte grey? Rather than the grease/oil I think its the paint job?
    No it's a white one and believe me, it's grease! :x

PP
  • +1 for WD40
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL