Brake level position (1 finger breaking)

j4mesj4mes
j4mesj4mes Posts: 138
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I have tried to set my brakes up so that I can do one finger breaking effectively. If I move my levers along towards the centre of the handlebars, where they need to be to brake using my index finger, I find the gears are in the wrong place. The gap is to far to reach the gears on the outside of my brakes and too small on the inside of the brakes, because of the big dial.

Has anyone else found a work around apart from paying for expensive gears without the gauge?

I own a GT Avalanche 1.0, if that helps.

Thank you

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brakes and what gears?

Or year of bike so someone can see what should be on it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • j4mesj4mes
    sorry

Its 2008 and

Front Brake:
    Tektro Auriga comp.

Shifters:
    Shimano Deore 9 speed separate.

Rest of the spec is listed on:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... e-ec000669

Thank you
  • Richtea70
    Richtea70 Posts: 107
    Swap the brake and gear levers around? I.e have the gear shifters closet to your grips.

Cheers
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • j4mesj4mes
    I tried that and because the dial on the gears is so big, I have to push the levers further to the centre of the handle bars and then I cant reach them.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    What is the advantage of 1 finger braking and could you not simply try longer grips?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Take your shifter windows off?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Had Tektros on an old Avalanche, I wouldn't really say they were one finger worthy - just because you can move your cockpit around to use your brakes with one finger doens't mean you should. The Tektros are great brakes for the money, but they don't have the modulation and power of brakes that are classed as having 'one finger braking power'.
    If you really want to to change your cockpit setup, you'd have to get shifters with removeable gear windows.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Had Tektros on an old Avalanche, I wouldn't really say they were one finger worthy - just because you can move your cockpit around to use your brakes with one finger doens't mean you should. The Tektros are great brakes for the money, but they don't have the modulation and power of brakes that are classed as having 'one finger braking power'.
    If you really want to to change your cockpit setup, you'd have to get shifters with removeable gear windows.
    Interesting...does that apply to Tektro cable discs as well. I have Tektro IO brakes on my Avalanche 3 and was going to try and move them around so I can brake 1 fingered.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    What finger are you using? I use index or middle, alternating on long sections or use both together.

Can you get different levers?

I suspect you will have to compromise to get the most usable position.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • bluechair84
    suzyb wrote:
    Interesting...does that apply to Tektro cable discs as well. I have Tektro IO brakes on my Avalanche 3 and was going to try and move them around so I can brake 1 fingered.

Dunno; haven't used cables discs in a very long time but I understand that they don't offer the power and precision of hyrdos and it only gets worse at the line becomes infected with grime. I'd suggest that two finger braking will get the most out of the brakes but there's no harm in experimenting with your set-up, you might find the adjusted cockpit nicer to ride with and outweighs any reduction in brake feel.
  • bluechair84
    Actually, one advantage I've found in running them one finger is you have greater control of the front end because you've more fingers wrapped around the bars. Every time you take a finger off to brake you have a little less control, more fingers braking, less control over the front end. That's why you'd opt for one finger braking, but it's weighing up the pros and cons. If you move your levers inboard of your shifters you take away the option of using two fingers when you dropping off a mountain edge with a bum like a village golf bag.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    j4mesj4mes wrote:
    Hello,

I have tried to set my brakes up so that I can do one finger breaking effectively. If I move my levers along towards the centre of the handlebars, where they need to be to brake using my index finger, I find the gears are in the wrong place. The gap is to far to reach the gears on the outside of my brakes and too small on the inside of the brakes, because of the big dial.

Has anyone else found a work around apart from paying for expensive gears without the gauge?

I own a GT Avalanche 1.0, if that helps.

Thank you
    Basically... no. I have the same brakes/shifters on my Rockhopper. There's no way to run brakes inboard without causing problems with shifting. simplest would be to replace the shifters with ones without the gear indicator windows (or removeable indicator windows) Best compromise I've found is to move shifter and brake levers as far in as is reasonable. I run one finger braking most of the time but on steep descents it's (literally) a pain.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • j4mesj4mes
    Think you are definately right about the brakes not being designed for 1 finger braking. I was having a look in the bike shop today and there are clearly different lever types for 1 finger braking. I was amazed at how much control over the braking the Hope brakes had, much different to my current on or off.
  • bluechair84
    There's not many places where I think the law of decreasing returns doesn't apply - 200pound per end brakes really do feel that many times better than cheap brakes. It's one of the few places I think blowing your budget is really worth it.
    You could try some nice sintered brake pads - bit more expensive than normal pads - to get the best power from your brakes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    diy wrote:
    What is the advantage of 1 finger braking
    More control of the brake, more fingers on the bar, less chance of arm pump, more leverage on the brakes (since your strongest finger is on the very tip of the lever)
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    diy wrote:
    What is the advantage of 1 finger braking
    More control of the brake, more fingers on the bar, less chance of arm pump, more leverage on the brakes (since your strongest finger is on the very tip of the lever)

Exactly this^^ Has noboby ever ridden MX??

Your index finger should ALWAYS be covering the brake lever...Always.

I've even instilled this in my kids who are 5 & 8....i'll get them to post as to why :roll: :D
  • Anonymous
    Fenred wrote:
    Exactly this^^ Has noboby ever ridden MX??
    Curiously many MX and Enduro riders use their middle finger on the brakes, and wear that it reduces arm pump noticeably.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Fenred wrote:

why? I never was possible until Sram brought about the thumb activated trigger shifters :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fenred
    Yep, either middle or index finger will do the job and inveriably another finger will come into play as and when required. the important point is to keep it all covered with whatever works best. Middle finger keeps the rest of the hand more 'stable' for obvious reasons. Personaly I prefer index on a mtb, but its all personal choice. AMAZING how many riders you see out oblivious to this basic technique.
  • Fenred
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fenred wrote:

why? I never was possible until Sram brought about the thumb activated trigger shifters :wink:

...Good ol' SRAM :roll:
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fenred wrote:

SRAM bought that out first?
    Anyway, you should still ALWAYS be covering the finger with your index finger. ALWAYS. Including during coitus. If the girl (or man, depends which way you play) doesn't understand, then they weren't your soul mate anyway.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fenred wrote:

I manage it with thumbies and cantis on an old Spesh. Although the brakes are so rubbish you need 10 fingers to actually stop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fenred
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fenred wrote:

SRAM bought that out first?
    Anyway, you should still ALWAYS be covering the lever with your index finger. ALWAYS. Including during coitus. If the girl (or man, depends which way you play) doesn't understand, then they weren't your soul mate anyway.

FTFY
  • Anonymous
    Oh yeah! :lol:
  • Fenred
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Fenred wrote:

I manage it with thumbies and cantis on an old Spesh. Although the brakes are so rubbish you need 10 fingers to actually stop.

...You should be a roadie, same applies :wink:
  • j4mesj4mes
    Just a shame the Hope brakes, which are so good are not so far off the full price of the bike!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675

Don't agree with this at all, the enormous lever does make them a wee bit unsubtle for single finger but they work fine 1-fingered, not as good as my Oros but still more than adequate (I was running one bike with an Oro on the front and an Auriga on teh back for a while, both 1-finger, bit odd but no problems.
    Fenred wrote:

When anticipating braking, sure, cover it but why on earth would you do it when know you've got no reason to brake?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    When anticipating braking, sure, cover it but why on earth would you do it when know you've got no reason to brake?
    Because sometimes you need to squeeze the brake when having a tommy tank, or cooking bacons.
    You never know, always be prepared! :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Because sometimes you need to squeeze the brake when having a tommy tank

What if I'm using both hands?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    That's why we have two brake levers.obviously.