slaying the badger

brakelever
brakelever Posts: 158
edited June 2011 in Pro race
just picked up a copy of richard moores book about the great hinault- lemond tour , what a read , brillant - either buy a copy or blag one , anyone else read it ?

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Just finished it today - a fantastic read! Really well written - like in his Millar bio' the author manages to make a real gripping story out of his 'investigation' into the story behind the 1986 tour.

One of the very best cycling books I've ever read.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    brakelever wrote:
    just picked up a copy of richard moores book about the great hinault- lemond tour , what a read , brillant - either buy a copy or blag one , anyone else read it ?

Not yet...next book on my list

Sorry to hijack thread but 'Wide Eyed and Legless' (embedded journalist in disintegrating British1987 tour team) is excellent.
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Half way through... :D
  • josame
    Would anyone like to do a swap, my Wide Eyed and Legless for their Slaying The Badger?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's fantastic. Started it a couple of days ago and just got past where we meet Paul Kolchi.

Engrossing tale and when you compare people like Hinault / Fignon / Lemond to the dullards we get in the peloton these days it's quite sad.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    iainf72 wrote:
    Engrossing tale and when you compare people like Hinault / Fignon / Lemond to the dullards we get in the peloton these days it's quite sad.

I don't think cycling is exceptional in that respect, seems to be the case with a lot of sports. Off to see the Senna film tonight, suspect I'll be thinking the same thing. Is it just due to professionalism completely taking over or has the portrayal by the media changed our perceptions?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It's on the list I just gave to my Mrs for my upcoming birthday. Everything i've heard so far has been positive.

Have to agree with Iain as well about characters. The really big stars (i.e Tour GC contenders) are all pretty dull characters. I know you dislike him Iain but I think Cav is one of the few big personalities in modern cycling, plus Jens Voigt of course. They are about the only ones who would have even been noticed alongside Hinault and Fignon.

I have a big poster of Fignon on my office wall, i've always been an absolute Fignon fanboy. Unfortunately the only similarity I have with him is the receding hairline.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    glad it's good as I pick up my copy on Friday. Had to order it as I had a Whsmith voucher. After that I'll get the Fignon book.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • josame
    I thought Lemond was quite quiet and only became more vocal in retirement - but I was only about 12...was he quite ebullient then?

I remember seeing him climb off his bike at the tour and how sad it was to seem him having to justify his departure to some muppet of a reporter
  • Thanks for putting "contains spoilers" in the thread title! ;)
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    just finished the fignon book - outstanding to lose to lemond while suffering from chalfont st giles - by such a small margin - horrible
    While in waterstones in guildford saw a book about the history of the giro in paperback but had spent book budget and now cant remember what it was called - HELP PLEASE :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    brakelever wrote:
    just finished the fignon book - outstanding to lose to lemond while suffering from chalfont st giles - by such a small margin - horrible
    While in waterstones in guildford saw a book about the history of the giro in paperback but had spent book budget and now cant remember what it was called - HELP PLEASE :lol:

Probably, this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Giro-DIta ... 416&sr=8-7

but maybe this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pedalare-Histor ... 416&sr=8-3
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    brakelever wrote:
    ... to lose to lemond while suffering from chalfont st giles ....

Is this a new name for saddle sores? :twisted:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I'm getting this for Father's day tomorrow.

AL
  • Posty brought me a copy from amazon this morning, i promised the wife i wouldnt start reading until i had painted the lounge. After 1 wall i stopped for a brew picked up the book 3 hours later, im in trouble!!!!
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Read it in two sittings. Gripping stuff.

Cycling really was better back then.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    After reading the begining of this tread I was inspired to picked up a copy in Leeds on Monday, read half the book at Manchester airport at one sitting. A very well written glimps into the heads of two of the greats. Thanks for the tip.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Interesting interview with Moore on the veloclub don Logan podcast. Worth a listen especially if you enjoyed the book.
  • Got it for Fathers Day, result. Now set aside for an upcoming holiday.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,246
    Finished it last night. Good book. I so wanted the Badger to win though...
  • *spoiler*
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Almost finished it, and I don't know what to read next as I cannot imagine enjoying anything as much.

I think I've got a crush on the Badger now, but would be scared to meet him...