Should I buy a Trek?

HiMoz
HiMoz Posts: 62
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Ok, this should be fun!

Ive waited far too long for the Cinelli Experience to come back in stock (last excuse was a shortage of raw materials to build the frame, wtf?)

I therefore have a grand burning a hole in my pocket and my LBS has the Trek 2.1 in stock in my size. I quite like the look of the bike however I understand I lose instant street cred when I'm seen riding it.

I'm getting impatient, is it worth it?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    No. God no.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    No. You'll look like a chopper :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I don't know why a lot of folk don't seem to like that brand. I'm sure they're competent bikes but they've just never done it for me and I've no idea why. I could say the same thing about Giant.

I just picked up a nice 10 year old Trek for a relative to commute on, sixty quid and it's a cracking wee bike in good nick. Nice set of components too. But it won't see my selling my Cannondale anytime soon.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    A Trek is no worse than a Spesh ...

If I had a grand burning a bike sized hole in my pocket soemthing like tne Canyon Roadlite 7.0 looks like a good bet for €1,199 ...
  • designman
    designman Posts: 405
    There is nothing wrong with Trek bikes, I'm not ashamed to ride one, actually its the only brand of bike that ive ever bought and lasted me years.... My current ride is a Trek Madone 6.9 SSL and its a beauty to ride. Light, stiff & very fast.
  • Treks are .. as said.. just like a Spec.. mass produced..available everywhere..and everyone and his brother has one.
    They're ok.. nothing inherently wrong with them, and nothing particularly outstanding either...
    Much like Spec, they advertise a lot, which guarantees them good product reviews in many mainstream magazines.. so take much of what you read with a grain of salt.
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Treks are .. as said.. just like a Spec.. mass produced..available everywhere..and everyone and his brother has one.
    They're ok.. nothing inherently wrong with them, and nothing particularly outstanding either...
    Much like Spec, they advertise a lot, which guarantees them good product reviews in many mainstream magazines.. so take much of what you read with a grain of salt.
    +1 - that's basically it, couldn't have put it better myself ....
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Trek to be honest. My first real road bike was a 1.5 and it served me well. My only issue is that they don't really have any qualities that make me want to own one again.

They're obviously solid performers but don't really have any flair, you want to own a bike that gives you a chubby every time you walk past it, one that you want to park in front of the TV and not leave in the garage, one that makes your other half jealous of the attention it gets. If that's what Trek does for you, go buy one :)
  • i would disagree with you since i have owned my trek 2.1 how many others have i seen on the road in the last year and half in south wales ?the answer none .seen loads off cube attemps and spec alllez .i have no probs with the bike the only thing i would upgrade is the wheels and tyres .just buy the bike you enjoyed riding if you like it?then i would not really care what anyone else thinks !
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    edited June 2011
    They're fine if you want to buy into the Lance fanboy image...

Myself, I'd rather buy a LeMond :evil:
  • Freeza
    Freeza Posts: 128
    I had to wait 7 weeks for my Xperience to arrive and was climbing the walls (for some illogical reason). I almost bought a Giant as I got fed up of waiting but imagine this scenario:

..You pull up for a brief stop during a ride on your brand new Trek when suddenly another rider pulls up next to you riding a Cinelli Xperience...how do you feel?

a) Thank God you bought the Trek

b) Gutted you didn't wait for the Cinelli

c) Not bothered

It was b) for me all day long, so I chewed fingernails until it arrived.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Is it all not badge engineering?

Most frames are made in taiwan

Groupsets are fairly universal across brands, albeit italian brands tend to use Campag more than the others

Raleigh SP Team is a 4 grand bike with full dura-ace ace and shimano RS80 wheels

Pinarello Paris is 300 quid more, but has a downgraded groupset (ultegra) and downgraded wheels (RS10 )

Yet I bet most people would perceive the Pinny as more desirable....power of the brand I guess
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    andy_wrx wrote:

Would anyone have bought them if EGOstrong had not sat on one ???

A pile of Junk with zero class or looks.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cinellis look ace.

Wait for the Cinelli.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Out of the big brands, Trek probably has the worst reputation for customer and warranty support, regardless what their marketing blurb tells you.
    Besides, Trek's reputation is about to head south because of their association with a certain rider and they were in a lot of ways complicit in the fraud and particularly backing the wrong horse.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Its like the Ford Mondeo - why are there so many on the road? 'Cause they do what they were designed to do, day in day out, no fussing.

My Trek District is one of the best bikes I've ridden ever - I commute on it regularly. Sure its a single speed belt drive so its a very niche machine, but as a branded bike it works for me. Yeah its good to have somerhting a bit different, but if it ain't in the shop you can't ride it. Do what's right for you - don't worry about the others x
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Explain about Trek please. And lol about Giant...brand snobs?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Never seen a Trek...must be a southern thing?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Never seen a Trek...must be a southern thing?

Almost every bike I see when I go to Inverness is a Trek, must have a good local dealer!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    I love my madone. Could not care less about Lance.

Great bike and not a generic far east carbon factory job. Trek have been around a fair time and have spent considerable time & expense on r&d unlike some brands which are just exercises in marketing slapped onto a generic frame.

That said if I was buying a replacement bike now (and if i could get my hands on one) I would go for a Cannondale.

To the OP - you are probably best to wait for your Cinelli if that is what your heart is set on.
  • Freeza
    And lol about Giant...brand snobs?

No brand "snobbery" here, I ride a Giant every single weekday.
  • Freeza
    tigerben wrote:

To the OP - you are probably best to wait for your Cinelli if that is what your heart is set on.

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier, there's nothing better than the bike you want as opposed to the one you had to settle for.
  • skinnypunter
    skinnypunter Posts: 144
    I have 4 Treks in the garage - my roadie, my MTB, nipper's MTB and wife's urban shopper thing. Really, really happy with all of them - I think they are really good value for money, and certainly 3 of the 4 are quite good looking (her urban thingy is an ugly shade of mud).

Yes, the european brands tend to look a lot nicer (US design has never turned me on), but as lots of other people have said, pretty much everyone offers a similar spec bike for a similar price.

Chose my road bike on the back of a custom fit session at Sigma : spent a happy half hour being measured, then the guys in the shop gave me a list of 3 bikes which met the suggested geometry. They were a Spec Allez, Trek 1.7 and something else I can't remember. Not more than £150 quid between them. I rode them all, and bought the one which felt best.

4,500 miles later, I'm glad I bought the Trek.
  • Anonymous
    I don't like Trek because they've a hisorty of buying out other bike companies and basicly killing them.

Klein and Gary Fisher spring to mind. There may well be others.

But as said a lot of it is brand snobery. A few months back I went in to Bike Labs in Richmond hoping to see a few Rose bikes. They didn't have any. The chap working there asked if I'd considered a Scott, "No" I replied "I'd never own a Scott". After a slightly uncomftable momment when the chap explained he road a Scott I had a look at one. Brand snobery was through aside,amazingly well made frames I had to have one.
  • silverpigeon
    silverpigeon Posts: 327
    Treks are like fat girls.

OK for a ride, but you wouldn't want your mates to see you with one.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    Most important thing is to buy a buy that YOU love and that will make you want to ride every day. If for you, that's a Trek then great, go for it. Personally I like a bike to have a bit of soul or heritage and Treks leave me cold in that respect so I too would wait for the Cinelli.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Funny this brand snobbery thing, as Treks aren't cool, but I'd still rather one over a gopping Pinarello or some internet warehouse Planet-X / Ribble thing.

Just out of interest why are people so fussed about Cinelli, they are mostly known as a component maker, not for their frames. A Colnago they certainly aren't :roll:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    andy_wrx wrote:

Which I did, 3 years ago, and it gets better and better and better. Makes me constantly smile, never get irritated by it. And still competitive in respect of the weight of the frame (around 900g or so). I call it Greg and I will never ever ever sell him.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Well I've just bought a Claud Butler! 8)

It's a funny thing this brand snobbery, when my new bike arrives I plan on joining a local club when my fitness has improved a little bit. Now those who must have something Italian between their legs won't like my bike. Fine. Those that appreciate that I have a good spec bike and got it at a good price, and I bought it because I like it might show some interest. I know which set of people I'd rather be chatting to.

As for your bike I'd say get the one you've got your heart set on, but don't get too carried away with looks as it's no substitute for performance when it comes to the crunch!
  • Anonymous
    It's not brand snobbery on my part.

Treks are good bikes but I think cinellis look really top for the same money. I'd much rather have one than a trek for that reason alone...