Road tyres on hybrid bike

Foxtrot Oscar
Foxtrot Oscar Posts: 30
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all

I am currently commuting 8 miles per day on my hybrid, a Carrera Subway, which came with 26mm di. knobbly wheels. Fair enough, it's designed for towpaths etc. However, all my modest miles are currently on tarmac, and as much as I want the latest Ribble Grand Fandango, with new baby #1 on the way, it's not possible.

Therefore I'm after advice please, about what tyres and inner tubes I need to buy that will best fit my 26mm wheels. For example, can I keep my current inner tubes? What's the narrowest tyre my wheels can accommodate? Should I go for fully slick tyres for summer riding, or will the slightest rain shower see me kissing kurb? Any specific product recommendations?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    What is the width of the actual rims?

Also Subway doesn't come with knobbly tyres, unless you put some on yourself.

A slick tyre with slits is fine for riding in the wet. ie Panaracer Pasela TG
    Totally slick tyre isn't recommended for wet weather.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    My hybrid has 700 x 25 road tyres, adequate
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • father_jack
    :roll: Subway has 26" wheels, not 700cc.
    According to Halfords site stock tyres are 26" x 1.6.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Plenty of people commute on MTB with semi or fully slick tyres. I'm currently using Conti Double Fighter II semi slick but am planning to use Schwalbe Kojak next.

Check the sidewalls for the dimensions as 700 tyres wont fit on 26" wheels and vice-versa.

Assuming you have normal MTB wheels you can go down to 1.5 possibly 1.3

PS. Can a mod move this to Commuting General?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Thanks guys. I can't see the rim width marked on the actual wheel, but the spec list is here:

RIBDu.jpg

Does that help? The current tyre is actually 4.064cm wide. Sorry for not having a clue. Do I still need to know the width of the rim?
  • father_jack
    Need to measure rim width, not tyre.
  • Rim width is 26mm. I haven't taken a tyre off so I measured against the inside edge of the rim, but they look square so I think that's it.
  • Foxtrot Oscar
    Foxtrot Oscar Posts: 30
    edited June 2011
    Edit, thanks DesWeller. So I basically need tyres that are no thinner than 1.5". Gotcha.

Sorry, I'm confused. You asked for the rim width, the internal rim width is 26mm.
  • father_jack
    Um if you haven't taken the tyre off how did you measure internal width?
  • Um if you haven't taken the tyre off how did you measure internal width?

That would be the external width then...internal means inside?
  • father_jack
    A hybrid, by definition, is a mixture. A rigid MTB with 1.5" slicks is as much a hybrid as a flat-bar with 700c x 34 tyres. It is a broad church.

yeah many classes of hybrid, from mtb/road gearing, 26" or 700c tyres, length of top tube, suspension or rigid.

Although I guess subway is more of a MTB, but since MTB are now hard tails, only the old school MTB's were similar to subway 1.

Also with MTB you use smallest frame possible, on a road going bike frame sizing isn't the same, usually top tube is closer to your crown jewels.

If you're running out of gears on the flats you could change cassette, or perhaps replace the large chainring.[/code]
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    There's some further info here on estimating appropriate tyre sizes from the CTC.

HTH.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • father_jack
    internal means inside?

uh huh.
  • father_jack
    btw if you do need to change the gearing, consider larger chainring and/or cassette with smaller smallest sprocket. Not too sure what compatibility on the deraillers would be though.
  • Thanks guys, very helpful.

It's all making me think I should just get a new bike and keep this for trails, though :D.
  • father_jack
    yeah I'd look into a proper road bike (drop bars) was deciding on a bike from Halfords, either Subway 1/2/8/LE or Gryphon /disc.

Went for the Gryphon disc. Think I made a good choice. Apart from the crappy Tektro IO disc brakes...had to spend more money on it.
  • I got 26 x 1.5 continetal city contacts on mine from wiggle they came with tubes as well, they ride really well in the wet and dry.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I would say get a new bike, just got the subway lmt edn due to an insurance payout - by the time I got home i wanted to sell it.

Get yourself a road bike with 700c wheels and you will be amazed at the difference, so much easier to ride.