Rear of frame / wheel flex causing tyre to rub

Danny-T
Danny-T Posts: 129
edited May 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
This is probably going to sound pretty dumb but I'm a little lost as to where to start. I recently replaced my rear tyre due to the tube blowing through the side and leaving a 5" split in the tyre wall.

Well the new tyre has started to wear on the walls as well, I've been trying to figure out what is causing this and I believe, as I'm a biggish chap, either the wheel or frame (or both) is flexing to the point the tyre rubs against the seat and/or chain stays when under heavy cornering and impact.

Off the bike and just trying to move the wheel I can't get it anywhere near but 14 stone flying around a bumpy turn is probably quite a lot more load than I can muster wiggling the wheel by hand.

Anyway I can't afford to keep replacing the tyre every 2 months so am trying to figure out what I can do. The wheel is totally true so if it was flexing would it likely return to true? It's a full sus Trek Remedy so obviously there's movement at the rear but didn't expect there to be much in the way of lateral movement.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar? All I can really think of is to increase the tension of the spokes but they don't feel particularly loose as is.

Cheers :S

Comments

• anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    QR done up tight? Tyres to wide for frame?
  • have you changed to a new tyre manufacturer or increased the tyre size?

Pis of clearance?
  • Danny-T
    The QR might be a good place to look, I've not been doing it up quite as tight as it can because then the disc rubs slightly (might also be a clue there). That said it's got a straight-through skewer on the abp (no dropouts) so it can't really move anywhere.

The tyre I replaced it with is narrower (Maxxis Advantage 2.1) than the original (Bontrager 2.4) so don't think that's the issue. Will grab some pics of the clearance and wear later and update.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    ALways do the QR up correctly - if the disc rubs, adjuster the caliper.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Are you sure it's not just rocks? If it was flex making the tyre rub on the frame I'd have though the contact would be at the edge of the tread rather than the wall.
  • Danny-T
    supersonic wrote:
    ALways do the QR up correctly - if the disc rubs, adjuster the caliper.

Noted. :oops:
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    If the tyre was rubbing on the frame then you'd find marks. Have a look.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Sounds like your not putting enough air in them and creasing the tyre walls up.
  • Danny-T
    Running at just shy of 50 psi so pretty sure it's not that.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Danny-T wrote:
    Running at just shy of 50 psi so pretty sure it's not that.

:shock:

That seems like an awful lot. How much do you weigh?