What are the best budget brakes? under £100

danuneek
danuneek Posts: 12
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
HI, I'm new to this forum and I'm just getting back into biking.

Basically I bought a GT a few years ago and haven't used it much since. But recently started using a lot and it rides really well. But, the Hayes Sole brakes are terrible and keep leaking.

So, I'm after some new disc brakes, I don't want too spend ideally more than £100 for a set.

What are the best budget brakes that everyone seem to use?

I've been told not to touch Sole or Avid. What are Clarks like?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Deore M525 or Tektro Auriga
  • Hi mate, hats the reason you have been told not to use avid? I have some Avid Juicy 3's and they are the best brakes i have ever had!!!
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    +1 for Juicy 3's, had them for 3 problem free years now !
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I'd avoid avid too, Juicys have been nothing but a PITA and even when they were working the performance wasn't that good. Then there's the stupid pad retaining clip and tri align mounting hardware which means you can mess up caliper alignment even easier and at even more stupid angles.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Avid Elixir 3 for £112 (if you register an account)
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... -THREE.htm
  • fallingoff
    fallingoff Posts: 332
    Clarks are very dissappointing IMO,but they are cheap... :oops:
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Can you not get a seal kit for your hayes and get them fixed instead ?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    if you could stretch a bit more i got a set of avid elixr 5's for £117 from merlin and they're way better than my old juicy 3's. but juicy 3's are good if you're on a real tight budget (i still have them on my hardtail) :D
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Juicy 3's are great, but if you can stretch to 5's then do so.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Deore M575 bombproof, powerful and a pretty damn fine brake its won plenty of awards. Only small problem they are post mount as are most brakes these days and I reckon your forks will probably be IS mount so you will need an adaptor but its no biggie they are only £7 each. So it will be slightly overbudget at £118 but these really are a long term investment. They are easy to change the pads and once bled they will probably not need touching for years. They come with discs, bolts, spare olives if you need to cut the hose and the ones a mate bought came with a bottle of Shimano brake fluid.

Deore M575
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Clarks get good reviews and at £80 pair inc rotors are a bargain...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47543

Also check out the reviews from people that have bought them....36 reviews and 4.52 stars out of 5 so they can't be bad plus buying new you get the warranty.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Clarks get good reviews and at £80 pair inc rotors are a bargain...

Just DO NOT BUY the "Crakles" ones from China on ebay. :|