Lovely new Carbon bike...have I wrecked it????????

2»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Slack wrote:
    That bike is filthy! Did you think taking an out of focus shot would disguise the fact you have a dirty bike???

Listen fella, you can't come on this thread with your 92 posts and randomly join in the abuse like some extra from Life of Brian

Yeah the bike is filthy. Only it's second time out and every back road in the area seems to have a liberal coating of what is best described as 'muck'. There was a point before last nights incidient when I pondered the wisdom of a white bike.
    w-h-a-t i-s t-h-e d-i-a-g-n-o-s-i-s?

The bike is going to the LBS for a proper diagnosis. We're hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    will3 wrote:
    Does the pump still work OK?

Did it not come with a little bit of velcro to keep it in the bracket?

Frame fit innit. i.e. no bracket. A flippin' liability they are. Had mine jump off the bike after a bump a few years back. At 18" of aluminium tube with a narrower steel tube inside, it would have minced my rear wheel had it bounced through the spokes - thankfully it just bounced into the gutter. Have always gone for one with a bracket since.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    great photo mate!

Hope the diagnosis is not too bad...

but yeah learn to take a photo :P
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    this is precisely my worry about getting a good bike. Well maybe. not this exactly but you catch my drift.

Whatever the news turns out to be you have my sympathy TWH, heartless mustards the lot of ye!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    prawny wrote:
    this is precisely my worry about getting a good bike. Well maybe. not this exactly but you catch my drift.

Whatever the news turns out to be you have my sympathy TWH, heartless mustards the lot of ye!

I can assure you that since owning a carbon road bike I am still able to take good photographs.

I hope this sets your mind at rest.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sympathy requires bad news. If it's bad news, you'll get your sympathy..

The LBS used the word 'Squidgy'

Send no flowers......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Enough about your backside, what is the prognosis on the bike?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    will3 wrote:
    Does the pump still work OK?

Did it not come with a little bit of velcro to keep it in the bracket?

for this helpful comment I received 1 x P****** on the way home.
    Fixed to a post in the laybyish where I mended it was a notice:

fairy_binsticker_2450.jpg
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sympathy requires bad news. If it's bad news, you'll get your sympathy..

Send no flowers......

Ok. You get my sympathy.

But useful is

http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.html
    HQ Fibre Products.

And buy one of these for the future.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Take it to a Giant Concept store and let them take a gander at the damage. If you live in Scotland I'm afraid its Liverpool. They will advise you on the best course of action. Good luck.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • tailwindhome
    Chat over the table at morning break.

"You spent years with your nose pressed up against the window of the sweet shop only to finally go in and spend your pocket money...then drop the lolliop on the street outside"

Sad but true
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628

"You spent years with your nose pressed up against the window of the sweet shop only to finally go in and spend your pocket money...then drop the lolliop on the street outside"

Sad but true

Boo. Sad Face.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

Send no flowers......

surely its repairable?

i snapped an uber pricey carbon fishing rod years ago an had that repaired, i dont think it was cheap, but it was cheaper than buying a new rod
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Sad but true

Boo. Sad Face.
    +1 :(

That linky Greg posted looks worth a punt
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • will3
    JonGinge wrote:

Sad but true

Boo. Sad Face.
    +1 :(

That linky Greg posted looks worth a punt
    Indeed, they seem to be saying aroud 10% of the price of the frame, so it may not be as bad as you think.
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    daviesee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Btw, that is an amazingly sh!t photo. First time with a camera? Or did your Mr Magoo glasses fall off when you hit the bump?

You never know. I met I guy (bit of a dork) that I hadn't seen in a while. He was showing off his Canon DSLR when I asked if he had his diopter adjustment so far off because he wears glasses. "Eh?" was his reply!
    He had been working as a club photographer for a year and couldn't even see clearly through the viewfinder! :shock: :shock: :shock: Suppose he relied on auto focus 100%.

This guy needs to ditch the Canon and get a proper camera, i.e. Nikon, immediately. Who in thier right mind buys a 'camera' made by a photocopier company?

If you thought helmet debates were boring, wait 'til the Nikon/Canon war starts up!
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Meh.

Tell that to the legions of sports photographers with their photocopier-coloured long lenses.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    daviesee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Btw, that is an amazingly sh!t photo. First time with a camera? Or did your Mr Magoo glasses fall off when you hit the bump?

You never know. I met I guy (bit of a dork) that I hadn't seen in a while. He was showing off his Canon DSLR when I asked if he had his diopter adjustment so far off because he wears glasses. "Eh?" was his reply!
    He had been working as a club photographer for a year and couldn't even see clearly through the viewfinder! :shock: :shock: :shock: Suppose he relied on auto focus 100%.

This guy needs to ditch the Canon and get a proper camera, i.e. Nikon, immediately. Who in thier right mind buys a 'camera' made by a photocopier company?

If you thought helmet debates were boring, wait 'til the Nikon/Canon war starts up!

TWH - I'm only around the corner with a Nikon so could put everybody's mind at rest with a focused pic!!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    daviesee wrote:

I wholeheartily agree! :P Nikon users know that it is handy to be able to see your subject :wink:

However, he needs to get a life first. He is just one of these guys you either take pity of, or mock. I appear to be doing both :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Nikon / Canon. Pah.

Olympus are far superior.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    It's not the camera, it's the photographer, end of.

This can be easily proven by the guys with all the kit under the sun that still can't take a decent pic and rely on photoshop to get a usable image.

Btw I'm a professional photographer, and I use Canon. My colleague who also shoots boat uses Nikon, he seems to go through equipment and lenses much faster than I do.

My bodies will typically last around 3 years, his around 2. I have two lenses that I've used for the last 12 years with regular servicing, he doesn't have any.

Back OT (ish) I have a carbon tripod, and it's not broken :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    im no pro, but i like the way my nikon feels in my hands...canons just feel weird when i hold them.. :P

however for a compact i like the look of the canon s95!
  • will3
    snooks wrote:

This can be easily proven by the guys with all the kit under the sun that still can't take a decent pic and rely on photoshop to get a usable image.

I'm no pro, but I've always held that you should aim to get it right on the camera.
    Frankly I don't have the time or the inclination to fix a badly taken photo on photoshop and anyway if your highlights are blown they;'re blown an there's nothing you can do to bring it back.

I have a panasonic. Does that make me weird?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    snooks wrote:

I don't follow, are you implying there's some other reason I haven't won the TdF aside from my bike not being good enough? Get out.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    snooks wrote:

Hypothesising here but if you dropped your camera on it would you still be happy using it and could you take a decent pic without said damaged carbon tripod?
    FCN = 4
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    snooks wrote:

Hypothesising here but if you dropped your camera on it would you still be happy using it and could you take a decent pic without said damaged carbon tripod?

If I knackered my carbon tripod, I'd go back to my car and get my aluminium tripod, or just shoot with out it. I don't tend to ride my tripod at 30mph, and if it did collapse, it would effect my camera, rather than going into my body somewhere it shouldn't. :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    snooks wrote:
    My bodies will typically last around 3 years, his around 2. I have two lenses that I've used for the last 12 years with regular servicing, he doesn't have any.

I think I have spotted the problem with his camera bodies. He needs lenses! :wink:

I agree on equipment though, it helps but the weak point is usually the user. Same arguments. Nikon/Canon, Mac/PC, Campag/Shimano..........
    This thread could go seriously OT.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Sad but true

Sympathy, TWH - next time buy steel - you know it makes sense
  • will3
    could be worse you could have snapped an expensive carbon compent like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/sailing/13093865.stm