Whats your favourite route mapping web site?

baronsouthside
baronsouthside Posts: 64
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Went for my first plus 30mile ride today on the build up to the rob roy challlenge event
and wanted to see my exact distances and height gained etc.

Tried to use Mapmyrun.com but the whole process seems really slow

Anybody know of any good cycle route mapping sites that give elevation etc.?
If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.

Comments

• woodchips69
    woodchips69 Posts: 82
    Try bikehike.co.uk
    2008 Giant Trance (own build)
    1996 Marin Mount Vision (from new)
    Ribble Carbon Sportive
    Dawes rigid hardtail (commuter)
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    ridewithgps.com is good.
  • woodchips69
    woodchips69 Posts: 82
    Sorry, should of said. It's only any good for mapping routes on roads, major tracks, etc. not off road/cross country.
    2008 Giant Trance (own build)
    1996 Marin Mount Vision (from new)
    Ribble Carbon Sportive
    Dawes rigid hardtail (commuter)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Would like a way of getting a gradient profile of a route from google maps/earth (before riding it with a gps tracker), anyone know how to do that?

For post ride analysis endomondo is good.

It just told me this:

Sport
    Cycling, transport
    Start Time
    May 30, 2011 8:30 PM
    Distance
    13.44 miles
    Duration
    47m:31s
    Avg Speed
    17.0 mph
    Max Speed
    40.3 mph
    Calories
    574 kcal
    Altitude
    144 ft / 892 ft
    Elevation
    66 ft ↑ / 761 ft ↓

and it gives a mile by mile breakdown an route profile (Speed and Altitude).

For finding routes you may not know of try www.TrailGuru.com [edit]Forget that, it used to have a google earth plug-in so you could find other users routes, can't find it now following some site updates[/edit]
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Would like a way of getting a gradient profile of a route from google maps/earth (before riding it with a gps tracker), anyone know how to do that?

Try bikeroutetoaster. It's free so you have nothing to lose.
    Once you have planned a route, there is a tab for the summary. That includes a hill profile chart as well as elevation, distance, time etc, etc.

There are others but that is the only one I have used as it works so I don't need to look further but I should possibly try :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I like bikehike and google maps for having a look.

But if out for a ride use the strava iphone app and look at the miles later.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ is good. Set 'Elevation' to large once you've mapped your route, and it will give you a profile underneath.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    my favourite is mapmyride.com, does gradients, lets you share routes, is pretty easy to work, sets waypoint warnings on exported files etc

For post-ride analysis I've been using the Garmin Connect website as I don't need the training functions at the moment.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    daviesee wrote:

Try bikeroutetoaster. It's free so you have nothing to lose.
    Once you have planned a route, there is a tab for the summary. That includes a hill profile chart as well as elevation, distance, time etc, etc.

There are others but that is the only one I have used as it works so I don't need to look further but I should possibly try :wink:
    Thanks, am contemplating the 63 mile Northern Rock Cyclone next month but want to look at the hills first.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.