hi
im after some good all round XC trail tyres
any one got any suggestions ?
thanks
Paul

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All round is a good start. Those square ones are a pain in the butt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    cooldad wrote:
    All round is a good start. Those square ones are a pain in the butt.
    Thanks your input has been invaluable :)

bloody hell if i was asking if i should use flats or spds i would have had 30 replies by now so i can gather from the lack of posts that people dont rate tyres as important items ?

Anyway i think im down to 2 panaracer xc pro or maxxis advantage unless anyone has any other suggestions :D
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    There are lots and lots to choose from so you could end up with 20 or so suggestions....I would recomend the Panaracer Fire XC Pro or the ultra reliable Maxxis High Rollers...Kenda Nevegal is also worth a shout
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • paul20v
    Thanks for the reply
    choice is the problem as theres so many
    hence i was asking just to see if there was a couple of favourites and reasons for them being so
    thanks 8)
  • stigofthedump
    stigofthedump Posts: 331
    edited May 2011
    I've been running 2.1 Panaracer Cinders for ever. They have been great rain/ shine/ mud/ dust even roots when run at 32 to 35 psi. I am about 14 st and ride a Marin mount vision in the Mendips mostly, more XC than freeride. My mate has similar riding habits and runs Shwalbe Nobby Nick/ Racing Ralphs on his Yeti ASR5. Good again.
    Some tyres i wouldn't reccomend
    I recently went tubeless using Michelin XC AM folding, which were cheap at On-one. I have put 5mm holes/tears in two of these in two rides - not reccomended. Also my bke came with IRC Mythos which pinch punctured at the drop of a hat.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maxxis Ignitor eXCeption series.
    Or not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    paul20v wrote:
    bloody hell if i was asking if i should use flats or spds i would have had 30 replies by now so i can gather from the lack of posts that people dont rate tyres as important items ?

Because you'll get as many different options as replies.

Obvious options include......

Specialized Captain F / Fast Trak R
    Maxxis Advantage F / Ardent R
    Maxxis Ardent F / Crossmark R
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron combinations..
  • paul20v
    Thanks never thought of a mix and match
    i used to years ago but not lately 8)
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Maxxis Ignitor up front, Crossmark on the rear...works for me.
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Nrj
    Nrj Posts: 35
    When its muddy and horrible i run Maxxis Swamp Thing's, i love them, so much so the are still on the bike now as they are so grippy even in the dry, i will eventually fit my summer tyres when ive killed the rear tyre completely (will probably last till november ready for another wet one lol).
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    paul20v wrote:
    Thanks never thought of a mix and match
    i used to years ago but not lately 8)

Each tyre does a different job, so it makes sense.
    Having said that I'm riding XC Pro front and back quite a bit atm.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think XC Pros are truly dire. Heavy, slow, and distinctly lacking in grip.

Which just goes to show how personal tyre choice is.

Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs for my money.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I was really unimpressed by XC Pros too. Used them for a couple of rides before I gave up.

I'm very happy with Maxxis Advantages, seem to be a very good compromise of speed and grip.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pseymour
    pseymour Posts: 194
    I use Kenda Nevega up front and a Kenda Small Block 8 out back. Read the BikeRadar review of the Kenda Small Block 8, its highly rated. Tyres are such a personal choice depending on what terrain your cycle, the weather conditions, whether you're an agressive rider, and also your weight. So given these variables, its hard to give an accurate answer. But the above work for me. More grip up from to steer, semi-slick behind for speed.
    Pete
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • paul20v
    Thanks for all the input
    after much searching and many reading reviews over and over
    ive ordered advantages
    all i hope now is they turn up before friday as im off to snowdonia :)
  • I like *AL* use a combination:

Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron combinations - depending on the weather conditions.

I really like the feel of the rubber that Schwalbe use, yes they cost a little more than some, but I've learned from many things "that you get what you pay for".

I also have a friend who loves his Continental Speed King, but as soon as it gets technical or damp he has problems offroad.
    2007 Felt RXC Elite - looking for mods.
  • WelshLoon
    WelshLoon Posts: 102
    At the moment on the hardtail i have an Intense System 4 2.25 on the front (pretty good volume for a 2.25) and Kenda Small block 8 2.1 on the back, both have performed extremely well, very grippy, roll very well and both fairly light.

Great combo for the warmer months.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The trouble is, your idea of "all round" might not be the same as the next guy's. For some people that'll mean canal paths and easy XC, for others it'll mean everything from a coast-to-coast to an enduro race via an uplift day, a week in wales and a trip to france.

I'd suggest a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 stick-e on the front and an Eskar 2.3 for my "all rounders" but for a lot of people that'll be stupidly big and draggy. But they'll do every sort of riding I'll ask of them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • matt1986
    matt1986 Posts: 31
    I'm running panaracer fire 2.1 XC pro Kevlar lined front and back iv found them really grippy in the dry but in thick mud I tend to end up going sideways. With the rain we have had in manc it's hard to choose a tyre cause some parts are still really dry and the pro xc are proforming really well but then there's the odd really muddy part and they slid all over the show esp when turning with speed.
    Genesis Core 30 2011
    BMC Trailfox TF02 2011