new tyres or new wheel for hybrid bike

k6chris
k6chris Posts: 10
edited May 2011 in Workshop
I have a hybrid bike which I want to put some road oriented wheels on. I know nothing about how wheels are sized, so don't know if I can put lower rolling resistance tyres on the existing wheels or if I need new wheels?

The markings on the wheel say "SX24 559 x 17 / 541 ERD" and my existing tyres say "26 x 1.50"

Does that make any sense at all???? :lol:

Help!

Chris

Comments

• forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Do you plan too replace the tyres or whole wheels :?:
  • k6chris
    forcutty wrote:

Ideally I'd like to keep the wheels but just put narrower / lower rolling resistance tyres on...if that is possible???

Chris
  • forcutty
    k6chris wrote:
    forcutty wrote:

Ideally I'd like to keep the wheels but just put narrower / lower rolling resistance tyres on...if that is possible???

Chris
    You won't get a lot narrower than the 26" x 1.5's
    But quicker maybe :wink:
    What tyres do you currently have?
  • forcutty
  • k6chris
    forcutty wrote:

They look perfect...thanks...dumb question how do I tell what tyres will fit the wheel? I understand the wheel diameter bit :lol: but not the width issue?? The tyres above say "1 inch" and I assume the "1.5" on my existing tyres is 1.5 inches (??) but how do I tell if my wheel will take a 0.5, 1, 1.5 or even 2 inch tyre?????

Many thanks for the reply, hope you can help me understand the above?

Chris
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    The important numbers from your rim are 559 and 17. 559mm is the diameter of the rim, while 17mm is the internal width. 559mm is the common MTB size and is often called 26". So you can't use road bike tyres, which are running on a 622mm rim.

There has to be some sort of relationship between the width of the tyre and rim as well, but there is room for variation. Some general, conservative recommendations can be seen here: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width Look under "Width recommandation".

Another option could be Continental tyres, the make several of the type, you're after, eg. Sport Contact, Gatorskin and Grand Prix.