Aci double butted or Dt comp spokes ?

trouty65
trouty65 Posts: 65
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Have mademy mind up on my wheel build Mavic 819's and Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs but cannot decide on what spokes ?

Aci Double butted ? or Dt comp spokes ?

Any of you guys got any experience of either of them. I will probably order from Merlin tomorrow. The DT Comps are described as a more freeride spoke anyone got any experience of either.

Appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both work fine. The ACI have a slightly thinner middel section (1.7mm compared to 1.8mm) which makes them fractionally lighter and fractionally more flexy.
  • trouty65
    Thanks SS. I have also read that DT double butted are harder to use in a build ?

I am fitting the new wheel to a set of 150mm Travel Revelations with a 20mm through axle.

A mate of mine who builds wheels but unfortunately is away said the Aci would be fine but as the DT comps are only £8 more i am just wondering if there would be any advantage for a Trail purpose wheel build.

Im not into Huge hucks and stuff but do some drops at most 5ft. Just want reliability more than performance really. Altho its always good to look at a bit more performance

Thanks

Paul

:D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I always use DT or Sapin when doing a build. BUT the quality of the actual build is the main thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trouty65
    Yep i, thinking i should try and speak to merlins wheel builder and ask him what he would prefer to build with to get best results.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont forget to let them know use and your weight so they have the right info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown