rotor??

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited June 2011 in MTB general
would i be able to use these new alligator rotors on my elixir 5"s??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they are the right size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mr joey
    the front is 160 and rear 185 i see that superstar do a 160 in green[wich is what im after]is it just a case of taking one of and putting the new one on seeing there the same size i would"nt have to modify anything would i?? im also looking for a 185 in white wich superstar dont do anyone know??
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    185mm is a bit of an own standard for Avid. Some aftermarket companies do them, some don't. Most often, a disc of the same size will fit. Be aware though that this is not always the case and, unless you're perhaps talking about floating discs, there's not really any concrete list of what fits what. But... generally different manufacturers in the same size works.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Are you sure the smaller disk is on the front ? usually the front is bigger as that does most of the braking.

If you're swapping rotors for one of the same size they should just fit straight in. You may have to re-centre your caliper which is done by backing off the bolts top & bottom, squeeze the lever and re-tighten the bolts.

185 is an odd size. I'd suggest buying a 180 rotor and a new adaptor to suit, Superstar sell the adaptors for a fiver !
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    If you can only get a 180mm disc, then get a new adaptor. Think Formula ones will fit Avid brakes.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • mr joey
    on the 160 side not all rotors are the same thickness are they??
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    mr joey wrote:
    would i be able to use these new alligator rotors on my elixir 5"s??

don't you mean discs?

or am i only aloud to post this in the crudcatcher? :lol: