Avid BB7's

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking of replacing my Juicy 3 brakes with a set of good cable brakes.
The reason I want cable is so that I can easily swap all the components between my winter hardtail frame & the wifes frame but the two frames need very different brake hose / cable lengths so I can just have a rear cable to suit each frame.
Does anyone use BB7's? Are they a good choice for cable brakes?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    about the best mech brakes out there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    Excellent. Will there be much difference in power between the BB7's and my old (well maintained) Juicy 3's?
  • Si1988
    Si1988 Posts: 158
    This might be a daft idea, but would it not be simpler to just buy a third juicy? fit each of the two bikes with the relevant rear, then all you have to do is swap the front over when necessary? Would probably work out cheaper and easier.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not a lot in it for cost really plus I'm trying to replace my Juicy 3's on my other bikes with Juicy 7's which are a lot more expensive but seem to need less maintenance. Also I like the idea of simple mechanical brakes for my winter bike
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Not a lot in it for cost really plus I'm trying to replace my Juicy 3's on my other bikes with Juicy 7's which are a lot more expensive but seem to need less maintenance. Also I like the idea of simple mechanical brakes for my winter bike
    why not jsut get away from juicys? You probably hear less about the problems with them because far less people have Juicy7s. Get some elixirs if you want to stay with avid or just get formulas or shimano.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have got Juicy 7's on my DH bike & they are massively better than the 3's.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Definitely get BB7s. You'll thank yourself in a few years time.
    When set up properly they'll be at least as good as most of hydraulics brakes but with fewer or no problems. (no sticky pistons, random rotor rub, leaks, bleeding etc.)