Ribble and Planet X.....Where can you see their bikes??

heathy_76
heathy_76 Posts: 213
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
The Mrs has (begrudgingly) given the green light for an upgrade to my Bianchi Via Nirone. My budget is limited to £2K.

I like Bianchi's so top of my list is a Sempre (with Centaur) from Epic cycles.

But....on sheer value for money terms I am also looking Ribble and Planet X.

I wouldn't be happy with buying a bike I haven't tried for size; is it possible to view any of these brands bikes in the flesh. Ribble looks like it is just a warehouse operation.

Any help is much appreciated.

J

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    You can turn up at the Ribble warehouse/shop and they have all the bikes on display so you can get a good look at them etc.

Not sure about Planet X.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Planet X have a showroom/shop in Rotherham. Very easy to get to from the M1.
    More problems but still living....
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Their showroom is Derby is probably closer to you, the guy Andy who runs it is a top bloke too.

http://www.bike-science.com/precision-bike-fitting/derby-bike-science-c-295_354.html
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • heathy_76
    Brilliant, thanks for your help guys.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Buy the Bianchi!!!
  • heathy_76
    The Bianchi is definitely top of my list. I say list, but the Bianchi is the only bike on it!

It is merely the value for money aspect that has made me even look at Ribble and Planet X and that you can spec them with Campagnolo. I haven't been road cycling for long but it seems that Campag is getting specced on fewer bikes each year.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Aye its sad, though they are having a comeback at tour level so hopefully will mean more campag in the shops :)

Its definitely a consideration to look at the value of the planet x and the ribble, they certainly get good reviews
  • Tillynaught
    Tillynaught Posts: 24
    I bought a Planet X two years ago without trying it for size, took the advice of the planet x sales guy(my first road bike), ended up with a frame that was to small for me, saying that i've had no major issues with the bike and it was great value for money.. however would go for the bianchi if i had my time back again
  • heathy_76
    Part of the reason for looking at Epic Cycles is that they also offer a fitting service as well as the upgraded groupsets on their Bianchis.

As the green light from the Mrs took a lot of work on my part I definitely want to make sure the bike is 100% perfect.
  • hi

ive just bought a Cube Agree GTC SL... okay it is £2300 stock... but it comes with FSA CARBON crank.. Dura-ace bits and a fantastic frame and design..

i am very happy with her.. ive changed the wheels but as stock a serious bike and its got top reviews.. deffo worth a look.. you could even go for the cheaper GTC race £1800 and spend the rest upgrading..

steven
  • heathy_76
    I'll take a look, someone posted a stunning looking Cube in the 'Your road bikes' section.

To be honest I haven't really considered a non-italian manufactured specced with something other than Campag. :lol:

At least Cube have had the decency to spec a different chainset, the Shimano ones are fugly (please note this is only my opinion, not wanting to start a Campag/Shimano debate).