Looking for a new frame, any suggestions

Acehole
Acehole Posts: 6
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm looking to get a new hardtail frame for xc/trails but my budget is pretty tight. Don't know what's good out there. Was going to get the On-One 456 steel frame but they don't have any of my size left in stock.

Is this Kona frame worth getting?
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kona-caldera-frame-id60586.html

Are there any other alternatives for around the same price?
Recommendations appreciated.
Thanks.

P.S I have a Suntour 120mm Epicon fork.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The caldera won't take as much as a thrashing as the 456 steel, but is a lot lighter and great for what you described, with geometry loved by many.

Good price too. But remember Kona sizing and Onone sizing are somewhat different! Look up the full specs on Konas website.
  • Acehole
    Cheers Supersonic.
    I need to replace my dented Carrera Fury frame. It's an 18" but I've always felt that it's a bit big and clunky for me so I'm looking to go down to a 17" or 16".
    I don't know anything about building bikes but I thought I may as well learn how to put a bike together. Apart from getting the right frame size, is there any other geometry specs I need to take into account when looking for a new frame?

Here's the Caldera's specs.
    http://www.konaworld.co/bike.cfm?content=caldera

Thanks.
  • supersonic
    The frame seems quite similar to the fury anyway angles and lengths wise.

Not all the parts will swap straight over mind - seatpost, front derailer and a host of others can be different dimensions, only thing you can do is research and compare first.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    supersonic wrote:
    The frame seems quite similar to the fury anyway angles and lengths wise.

Not all the parts will swap straight over mind - seatpost, front derailer and a host of others can be different dimensions, only thing you can do is research and compare first.
    +1 to that, though it is slightly slacker than the fury which a good thing in my mind. I'd be happy if it was 0.5 to 1 degree slacker (the fury). Kona have got their hardtail geo nailed.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I was looking at the Kona until I saw this, so much so I bought one and it's superb, and very light, originally off a £1700 bike, the Caldera is a £600 hardtail.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corratec-X-Vert.S ... f7ffe9c23f

Corratec are massive in Germany, you simply won't find a better frame for the money anywhere else, this is about a £400 frame.

Don't let the name put you off. Corratec make some lovely bikes/kit.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about an On-One inbred? For an XC frame it will take a lot of abuse & although On-One recommended a 100mm fork plenty of people run 140mm with no problems. They are also dirt cheap at the moment.
  • Acehole
    Cheers for the suggestions guys,
    Corratec are massive in Germany, you simply won't find a better frame for the money anywhere else, this is about a £400 frame.

Looks good, I would trust Germany engineering any day.
    How about an On-One inbred? For an XC frame it will take a lot of abuse & although On-One recommended a 100mm fork plenty of people run 140mm with no problems. They are also dirt cheap at the moment.
    Looks good too.

I think it's a choice between the Corratec and On-One inbred. Just a matter of deciding if I want the lighter frame or tougher steel one. Also the Corratec is cheaper which helps as I would need to spend extra on parts that I can't transfer over from my Fury.
  • Deezer-D
    Deezer-D Posts: 99
    Just bought one of the Gen 2 Inbreds for a new build. The Gen 2 is designed for a 120mm fork. Cheap at £169.99 too.
  • The Big Cheese
    Acehole wrote:
    Cheers for the suggestions guys,

Looks good, I would trust Germany engineering any day.
    Looks good too.

I think it's a choice between the Corratec and On-One inbred. Just a matter of deciding if I want the lighter frame or tougher steel one. Also the Corratec is cheaper which helps as I would need to spend extra on parts that I can't transfer over from my Fury.

Go to the 'my rides' section and I have a thread with pictures of the actual frame, it really is something nice indeed, I have had many HT frames over the years, and this is an eye opener in the flesh - hurry if you want one, they dont have many left :(
  • supersonic
    It's a nice frame., and light. It ain't made in Germany lol
  • The Big Cheese
    supersonic wrote:

Taiwan :lol:
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    supersonic wrote:

Taiwan :lol:
    even better imo. They certainly know how to make a frame, they should anyway after all that practise.