Cardiff to Paris Charity ride .... Tyre choice and training

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Ive just signed up for the above ride and was wondering about tyre choice was thinking gatorskins or something a bit faster say gp4000

I'm averaging around 125 miles a week usually with a 60 miler ish on hthe weekend.

Does anybody have any tips on training the ride is broken down into 50 miles per day , I consider myself an intermediate but no racing snake , thankfully nutrition is being sorted by a expert who will fill us with gels and liquids enroute.

Comments

• Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Get yourself used to those gels and liquids well before the event, if they dont suit your stomach find something that does.

What tyres do you normally use? If they work ok on a 60 mile sunday run then stick with them.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You don't need gels - you're not racing so plenty of time to eat normal food.
    More problems but still living....
  • gwillis
    as part of the event we are being sponsored by a energy drink company I think so its all part of it. I've been using ultremo r1'S but stick with gatorskins if only for the reduction in punctures
  • Just done Spalding in Lincs to Paris - 328 miles over 3 days.

Advice - any Conti tyres will be fine.
    Get a good saddle and do 3 back to back rides over 3 days to get a feel for how it is to ride every day.

50 miles a day will be v.enjoyable.

Make sure you visit the 'Hippodrome' around the Long Champs race horse track a cyling mecca.
  • gwillis
    Thanks I've been messing around with bike fit , just fine tuning really.

I'm a fizik aliante fan so saddle is sorted

Sounds like your ride was a bit more epic than mine though
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    50 miles a day do not require energy bars (IMHO), drinks maybe for electrolytes but that's it.

I used to use them but using bars that generally agreed with me daily for a week in Majorca taught me a lesson. I now won't use them for less than 60 miles and only then if hills are involved and hopefully not daily. Even Grand Tour racers rarely use them.

50 miles at even 15 mph is only 3 1/2 hours max in the saddle. Eat normal food and enjoy the trip!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Conti 4000S did me for London to Paris at average 17-18mph over 3 days ie 100 miles a day. As others have said, normal food should be fine at 50 miles a day - basically a club run before lunch followed by another after lunch.
    Sounds like fun, enjoy it :D
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    gwillis wrote:
    Ive just signed up for the above ride and was wondering about tyre choice was thinking gatorskins or something a bit faster say gp4000

I'm averaging around 125 miles a week usually with a 60 miler ish on hthe weekend.

Does anybody have any tips on training the ride is broken down into 50 miles per day , I consider myself an intermediate but no racing snake , thankfully nutrition is being sorted by a expert who will fill us with gels and liquids enroute.

Conti Grand Prix Black Chilli 700 x 24 tyres.

The expert is probably linked to some energy product company and wants to pump as many people with their products as possible. If this is the case politely give him/her the sack and for 50 miles per day at touring pace all you need to take is a recovery drink/shake after each days event ride (try out before the event) then a light protein snack before your proper carbed evening meal.
    Breakfasts should be balanced carbs/fruit/cereal fruit juice and finish with coffee/tea.
    Banana/water shortly before start then easy pace for a while then just snack on real food in small amounts but often, slow release sugars (figs/dried fruit) in a pocket. Don't just drink high concentrate energy drink and mix one bottle energy with next bottle of just water, also in hot weather pop a hydration tablet in with one of the bottles of water.
    Don't take gels you won't need them on this type of ride they are a bail out for high intensity work that leaves you energy reserves quickly depleted (sportives/racing) especially in challenging terrain, even then they shouldn't be needed till at least halfway through the ride.
    The main reason for not taking gels is they suppress appetite and they may clash with other intake, also they may result in you not taking that all important post ride recovery drink/snack.
    Lastly the amount of energy products that some "experts?" advise you take is just a plain waste of money, which if you think about it is what the companies are after!

Your training rides are just about ok, you could do with trying three days on the trot of 50 per day if you can fit that in, crank it up to 200 miles per week then back off a week or so before the event.

Enjoy :wink:
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Good advice..
  • gwillis
    Great advice guys. I generally use isotonic drinks from sainsburys watered down with the odd cereal bar for a 50 miler so im on the right track. I'll up the mileage to 200 and then taper off before the event as discussed. im not a fan of gels so will stick to my cereal bars I think.

just need to raise the £1500 now. The pace is within my fitness and there is a real mix of riders doing it so it should be good fun.