whats your age & how many hours a week do you ride

13»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I do my commuting for fitness benefits. I do mountain biking despite the fitness benefits.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    deadkenny wrote:
    Fun first always. If it was just a chore for fitness I'd struggle to get out at all. That's why I don't understand lycra clad road racing with head down staring at your front wheel or the rear of the guy in front. No fun, not enjoying the scenery, may as well just go to the gym (which is no fun either, hence I don't go to the gym).

Give me something fun to chuck myself down, that's all that matters. Just have the ambulance on stand by.
    Plenty of scenery to enjoy at gym, lycra clad butts for both persuasions.
    One I used to got to had the step circuit opposite the bikes. Every minute you had a fresh pair bouncing in front of you. Except for the spoilsports with sports bras.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Northwind wrote:
    I do my commuting for fitness benefits. I do mountain biking despite the fitness benefits.
    that sums me up and it's better than the bus and quicker.
  • 19, and about 20hours a week.

commute to work 4times a week 1hour a pop and general riding the trails, dont get to go to the trail centres to often though which is a shame.
    2011 NS Core 2. Boing boing.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    15 and I try to do around 10 hours a week, atleast 5 of those at a high intensity, supplemented by cross training type stuff 3 times a week.

This is completely how I feel
    Northwind wrote:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Except some of just ride for pleasure as DK said. No interest in HR zones or whatever TL's are.
    Just give me a great bit of singletrack.

I totally agree, my point was that people seem to be confusing time spent with your bike with time riding. It's got nowt to do with intensities or HR zones, which IMO are fairly pointless on an MTB anyway, it's all about having fun, whether that's done with plenty of stopping and chatting, or flat out all the way.

My point was simply that I don't think people are doing 7 hour rides or whatever, they're out for 7 hours, doing 3 hour rides. If people were truly doing 20+ hours of pedalling a week, irrespective of the pace, they'd be very fit indeed!

As yeeha said, I rode in this morning, will work, then ride home, but it's not a 14 hour ride! Really it's an issue of semantics, what do you call "riding"?!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I rode for 6 hours on the Sat..... all Downhill. I fail to see the relevance of any of it all to be honest lol.
  • njee20
    A 6 hour descent? Awesome, where!?
  • Thewaylander
    LOL push up IE repeated Downhill, though i rode back up a fair few times not just pushed hehe. but still out on my bike for 6 hours, but it doesn't really follow that it would be super for my fitness(though i find being out that long does help)
  • Thewaylander
    njee20 wrote:
    A 6 hour descent? Awesome, where!?

dude this has been making me think for the last hour how pant wetting it would be to have DH last an hour long I mean at cwm you Climb in 40-50 minutes to come down in 5... Hmmm we need to break the law of physics some howNjee and i charge you with the duty of figuring out how! cos it's your fault i'm now dreaming of just riding down for hours.
  • njee20
    Just ride really slowly :-)

If you push up you're not riding, so your riding time was only on the descents. IMO of course.

6 hours pedalling up Cwmcarn you'd be pretty fit!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    njee20 wrote:
    Just ride really slowly :-)
    :lol:
    Pretty sure you'd need to go to the Alps, or maybe somewhere in Canada to find an hour's descent, unless of course, you go really slowly :lol:

Pushing time is not riding time, but it will have health and fitness benefits, just the same as hiking does.
  • Thewaylander
    indeed, i actually hurt more after a day of DH compared to dong 50K XC rides lol which i thin is terribly unfair :p
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hehe, same here. My legs ache like all hell after trekking with my camera. I think it's because we use entirely different muscle groups compared to riding.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm 64 -daily commute halfhour - weekends typically 3-4 hours trails/road
  • I'm 16, do about 1 hour 45 minutes after school. Either 2-4 hours depending on what im doing on the weekend. During the holidays considrably more. At the moment im doing no cycling atall as i came off on the road yesterday, very very sore D: