Urget rear shifter not working

The good doctor
The good doctor Posts: 307
edited May 2011 in Workshop
I had to curtail my rise this morning as the rear shifter has stopped working and the cable has gone slack if this helps identift the problem, To start with the lever would not allow me to change up but I could drop down the last couple of gears and then up to the sticking point however it sstopped working completely.
Any thoughts I need this sorting asap.

Thanks

John

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Cables sticking in the outers?
    Are the outers sitting in their stops properly all the way from the shifters to the mech?
    If you unhitch the cable from the rear mech can the mech move freely?
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    does the cable tighten up when you up-shift?
    if not your shifter is bust.
    to check the derailleur lift the bike so you can spin the cranks, with all tension off the cable the chain should be on the smallest cog. Now pull the cable and the derailleur should move in toward the bigger cog. If this happens the derailleur may just need adjustment.
    Google 'park tools' for a great site for workshop/setup etc instructions.
  • They're campagnolo centaur 09 model
  • Ive, just looked again, tried pulling on the cable to move the rear mech and no joy but pulled cable away from shifter and its come out, and is all frayed at the ends so I amgine I just need a new cable ?

:oops:

Thanks for the replies

John
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hopefully you can retrieve the end of the cable that you've left behind in the shifter. have a look on YouTube for a video of somebody doing the job; also have a read through the instructions on Shimano TechDocs.
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    keef66 wrote:
    Shimano TechDocs.

Except its Campag :lol: