semi integrated headset - wants to replace forks

richrock
richrock Posts: 77
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Hi all, hoping you can help me out here :

I have a steel fork with a semi-integrated headset - this one - http://www.teikotec.de/frame.php?prodid=34000005. I did notice it says MTB forks, but that hasn't stopped the manufacturer using it on my road bike :shock:

I'm trying to spec a newer fork, maybe a carbon one, but how do I understand the measurements? Is it possible to replace the fork with one specified for integrated headsets, like this one - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29287

What are the magic numbers I need to look at? In my younger days it was steerer length and diameter - seems it's all changed with this aheadset malarkey :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    that will be fine dont forget to swap the crown race over.

your frame is designed to use an Internal/semi integrated/Zero stack headset where the head tube has an OD of about 50mm.

the fork you link has a crown of 45mm (designed to look good on a frame with a Internal headset design).

PS i would look at replacing the headset at the same time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • richrock
    richrock Posts: 77
    Right, starting to make sense.

I'm looking to replace headset at same time - so looking for internal headset to fit same dimensions. I think I can figure that one. :shock:

In my example - the fork would fit correct? But it would also be a couple of mm out on either side due to my frame bein 50mm od and the crown being 45mm. Am I correct with this so far?

Essentially it's still down to steerer diameter from what I see.

Thanks for the help so far - just don't want to make an expensive mistake :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well your steerer is a standard 1 1/8 version so that is simple enough.

here is a frame with internal/Zero stack/ semi...... and an "integrated" fork

img1209g.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown