Have I bought the wrong chain? FIXED I'm an idiot!

markmod
markmod Posts: 501
edited May 2011 in Workshop
hi all,

My old chain on my bianchi via nironre mirage/ xenon 10 speed campag mix was looking a bit worn and grotty. So I decided I needed a new one. The old one was a kmc dx10sc, I thought I was all campag drive so I bought a veloce c10 chain and fitted it with a kmc quick link.

I turned over peddles by hand and the new chain feels very 'rough' and noisy on the chainrings. On closer inspection of my chainrings which are FSA they have s-10 on the which I now fear means shimano!

My question is should the veloce 10 speed chain be compatible with this, side by side it looks exactly the same as the original chain (which hasn't stretched, just corroded etc) the web has a mix of yes and no compatiblity but you guys here 'know your ONIONS' as it were, so this should be the place to find out.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Worn chainrings/cassette? I had a new chain and was slipping, cassette was worn. But replace chainring as well.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I have fixed it. It turned out to be one of those simple 'one D one zero T' reference problems (1d10t =idiot)

A mistake from the mr magoo (showing my old age) school of myopic bike maintenance.

Helps it run better if you pass the chain through the guide underneath the rear derailleur eh!

Damned Eco lighting, why is it nowadays that most rooms etc are bathed in a feint glow from 'soft' mood light bulb... I always thought you put on the light to see what you were doing? Not nowadays apparently.

As you were gentleman and ladies of the spanner. Stand down until my next bit of muppetry arises please.