Squirrels

pauldavid
pauldavid Posts: 392
edited May 2011 in The bottom bracket
Does anybody have any idea if the block type of rat bait would be any good for getting rid of squirrels.

Over the last couple of years we have had a few appear in the trees surrounding our house, there are that many of them now that the council are considering giving the trees there own postcode for the squirrel community.

The buggars are now trying to gain entry to our house so in warm weather you can't even have a door or window open too far for fear of the house being full of them.

Local council is offering it's usual helpful service, "our pest control team os very busy at the moment, someone will come down and assess the problem but probably not till July."

In that case they most probably won't actually do anything till this time next year.

Ho hum

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Take one .22, aim, hit, times 6 = one pie.

Tasty.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    How to kill squirrels with rat traps

http://www.ehow.com/how_6697080_kill-sq ... traps.html
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I have to agree with DD. The squirrels will eventually kill the trees as they strip the bark which introduces infection to the tree (as well as being a pain and coming into your house)

Get yourself a .22 air rifle with a decent telescopic sight, and shoot the little bu66ers. If there's a lot of them, it'll take a concerted effort, but you'll get there. Keep an eye open for the Dreys as well. When you see squirrels building them, fire a few pellets into them. This will scare the adults away and kill any young that are in there.

You can get traps, but they're not particularly nice. The squirrels do their best to smash their way out and can end up injured and traumatised before you have to dispatch them (usually by shooting them anyway).

You have to be quick and quiet though as they soon get wise and leg it when they see you.

If that doesn't work, anti tank mines will help.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    They won't let me have my rifle back, apparently threatening to shoot them is not the way to make kids behave in this politically correct world we live in.

Which is why I now look to the more humane way that is poisoning, for the squirrels only you understand.

To start with at least
  • MattC59
    pauldavid wrote:
    They won't let me have my rifle back, apparently threatening to shoot them is not the way to make kids behave in this politically correct world we live in.

Which is why I now look to the more humane way that is poisoning, for the squirrels only you understand.

To start with at least
    I guess it depends where you live. If there's a risk of hitting other people, or hitting their property, it's a bit of an issue. Otherwise, tell them to s0d off and shoot them (the squirrels, not the kids !). If nothing else, the council will get their finger out and come round.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    MattC59 wrote:
    I have to agree with DD. The squirrels will eventually kill the trees as they strip the bark which introduces infection to the tree (as well as being a pain and coming into your house)

Get yourself a .22 air rifle with a decent telescopic sight, and shoot the little bu66ers. If there's a lot of them, it'll take a concerted effort, but you'll get there. Keep an eye open for the Dreys as well. When you see squirrels building them, fire a few pellets into them. This will scare the adults away and kill any young that are in there.

You can get traps, but they're not particularly nice. The squirrels do their best to smash their way out and can end up injured and traumatised before you have to dispatch them (usually by shooting them anyway).

You have to be quick and quiet though as they soon get wise and leg it when they see you.

Don't shoot into Dreys, all kills must be straight head shots.
  • MattC59 wrote:

These must be that rare breed of Squirrels then, the Lesser known American variety? Big fat bast4rds are they? Must be to set of an Anti Tank Mine. :shock:

Go buy a catapult if you can't be trusted with an air rifle, or a super-soaker filled with lighter fluid and tape a Zippo on the end and go get yourself some BBQ Squirrel. :twisted:
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Put one of these down and then once they are stuck fire away like a Professional Russian :)

glueboard.gif
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • MattC59
    Richie63 wrote:
    Put one of these down and then once they are stuck fire away like a Professional Russian :)

glueboard.gif
    Looks a good solution, you can then make sure that you get the head shot (and buy a cheaper air pistol !)
    Just make sure you spell it right when you google. I googled 'Maxicatch', they're lawn mowers, and whilst I'm sure that they're effective, they may be a messy solution to the problem !!
  • cruiser33
    cruiser33 Posts: 464
    Yes; the `politically correct world` we live in does cause a bit of a stumbling block regarding Air rifles. I have a bird feeder with half a dozen different feeders hanging off it, the bl..dy Squirrels still manage to climb the 3/4" wide metal pole and cause havoc whenever possible, they used to work the feeders off the hangers and get them to fall on the ground so that they could then go back down and collect all the contents strewn over the ground. I have since taken to making them really secure . When my wife is at work, and my little boy at School I stand by the back door of the house and pop them with my Air Arms pre charged air rifle.........it`s the only way to manage them......And, nobody is any the wiser as to the hopefully diminishing stock of squirrels!!
  • You have to hand it to the little bugg3rs though, they are amazing.

Daylight Robbery 2

Daylight robbery being where that famous "lager" commercial came from and was a fascinating insight to how agile and clever the little furry bugg3rs actually are. The sequel was no less interesting & Jessica Holm was a tasty dish with a sexy voice. :oops:

BE warned though (no, not the return of SpeedKing!), start knocking the Squirrels off and they may turn nasty...
  • MattC59
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    does the bi-carb soda / seagull trick work with squirrels? Bi-carb laced nuts could be a much cheaper option here!

Killing them off is not a problem as long as you're only thining their numbers and not just killing every single one of them.

End of the day they are just another innocent animal so the aim is control not extermination.
  • Ollieda wrote:
    the aim is control not extermination.

davros_dalek_resurrection_terry_malloy_400_400x300.jpg
    "WE never got that memo, so....

EXTERMINATE!"
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    set a trap
    go to work
    come home
    drop trap containing live squirrel into deep bucket of water
    have cup of tea and biscuit
    go outside a remove trap from water, dropping drowned squirrel in bin
    re bait
    come out in the morning beofre breakfast
    drown squirrel
    eat breaksfast
    empty trap reset etc repeat
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    ^^ If you drown them in red wine I guess that counts as marinading?

It's a healthy start to pie...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Stewie Griffin
    BarryBonds wrote:
    set a trap
    go to work
    come home
    drop trap containing live squirrel into deep bucket of water
    have cup of tea and biscuit
    go outside a remove trap from water, dropping drowned squirrel in bin
    re bait
    come out in the morning beofre breakfast
    drown squirrel
    eat breaksfast
    empty trap reset etc repeat

Expensive though.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/835563-man- ... a-squirrel
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    My dog Lionel will help you out.
    The only draw back being, you won't have much of your house left after my lumbering baffoon of a dog, has had a tear up.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    This is a much more entertaining solution IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get disc brakes.

squirrel1.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stewie Griffin
    How do you tempt them to run head long into your wheel though?
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    nut scented hydraulic fluid?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    That'll teach the greedy f*cker for going after the wheel nuts.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Squirrels are just Rats with good PR.

I mean the Grey foreign pox ridden little sods, Kill the lot of 'em .
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    247850_10150192606870796_605860795_7256778_3606057_n.jpg
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Fill your Wheelie Bin up with about 1foot of water and float a saucer with some nuts on it, Hopefully the greedy sods will take the bait and drown themselves.

We do something similar in work to kill rats, but cover the top with cloth and place some food on it, We bait it for a few days before we open the lid and place the cloth over the opening, Not sure it would work for squirrels but it would be fun to find out....
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Lazarus wrote:
    Fill your Wheelie Bin up with about 1foot of water and float a saucer with some nuts on it, Hopefully the greedy sods will take the bait and drown themselves.

We do something similar in work to kill rats, but cover the top with cloth and place some food on it, We bait it for a few days before we open the lid and place the cloth over the opening, Not sure it would work for squirrels but it would be fun to find out....
    I think squirrels can swim. Mr Ands gets really wound up by the squirrel eating from the hanging bird feeder. It goes head first down the feeder and if you run outside and startle it, it drops to the ground. With this in mind, he placed a dustbin directly below the feeder. After a few weeks it had about a foot of rainwater in it. One day, as the squirrel was on the feeder Mr A legged it outside and the squirrel dropped down in fright, right into the bin. I think he thought he'd caught it until abut 5 seconds later, when out jumped this squirrel about 5 foot in the air. It was like a missile. It was one of the funniest things I have seen (not just the sight of a 'flying' squirrel but Mr A being outwitted again :lol: )
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Phone President Obama. He'll sort you out: :D

squirrel.jpg

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    pneumatic wrote:
    Phone President Obama. He'll sort you out: :D

squirrel.jpg

Right, that's it. Not only has one of my threads been plagiarised but also my picture posts. Now, where's Giggsy's phone number. :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I thought it was yours and was wondering what took you so long to post it; so I did it for you!

and it still makes me chuckle. :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)