what ive learned this week!

radiojaja
radiojaja Posts: 94
edited May 2011 in MTB general
OK, so i'm fat, and 40 (ish!) :lol:

here is my advice, for people like me, not super racing snake types with all that fitness and talent!

buy as good as, and as expensive a bike as you can! i ummed and ahhed for ages about upgrading from my trusty Giant generic HT... was i good enough / fit enough / brave enough / would i use it enough etc. to get a 'proper' bike for myself as an all out, nothing to hide, not embarrassed to say it, super treat for myself?

well i can tell you, IMHO, and for what its worth - if you can, do it

FS is better than HT (i loved my HT, but FS is frankly brilliant!)

FS means more speed = more fun

lighter is better = more speed = more fun!

a properly sized bike fitted for you = better = more control = more speed = more confidence = more fun! (from large to a medium)

decent suspension kit is better = more speed = more fun (fox talas fork / fox shock)

better brakes = more confidence = more speed = more fun (Hayes)

better wheels and tyres = more speed = more fun (nobby nics)

decent cranks = more speed = more fun (XT cranks)

lovely red highlights / bike bling is more fun! (mmm....red!)

before anyone asks.... i know speed is relative! and i'm not fast, just faster than i was!

i ride a combination of woodland trails / single track / full out quarry insanity / bridle path and i dont believe it but its true, my new all singing all dancing Cube AMS is even better fun on a straight forward straight line flat gravelly cycle path, than my trusty old Giant HT ever was (and i do love that old trusty bike - i really do)

goddamn i love my new bike!

so much so i wanted to share it. i also realise i am lucky enough to afford it, but i work hard for that reason

buy as good as you can, spend as much as you can - worth every penny in de stressing smile inducing year shedding all round GREAT FUN! 8) :lol:

i feel better now... thank you for letting me share and hope that helps someone, some where

best bike related thing ive ever done (i'd post some pics - but i dont know how sorry!) :oops:

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    FS is better than HT (i loved my HT, but FS is frankly brilliant!)

FS means more speed = more fun

Rubbish

Rubbish

Sometimes!

decent cranks = more speed = more fun (XT cranks)

True, but Hayes?!

Very true

Very little in it. Get the right ratios.

But do enjoy!
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    radiojaja wrote:
    OK, so i'm fat, :

loose some weight = more speed = more fun = better than any upgrade you have done :lol:
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    You forgot...

More confidence = faster speed = spectacular crashes.
  • jimexbox wrote:
    You forgot...

More confidence = faster speed = spectacular crashes.

:lol:
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    @radiojaja: good on ya fella!

That's what it's all about at the end of the day - FUN! find what works for you and stick to it and don't let any grumpy interweb b*ggers tell you you're doing it wrong ;)
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Good man. The fun is all that matters, regardless of how you find it
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    ps
    I agree with everything except the hayes
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    radiojaja wrote:

Right lighter is not always better, i went for a heavier burly bike and it's more fun..

And Nobby nics are the worst tyres i have ever ridden, they grip roots and rocks like one of those awsome water slides... not at all...

but on the positive glad your having fun like
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Leave off the Hayes. I have some Stroker Trails and they are unbelieveably amazing.
    (Although as a recent convert from cantis and V's (I know V's are cantis before any smart remarks)) it may be that anything is unbelievably amazing.
    They stop me though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    And Nobby nics are the worst tyres i have ever ridden, they grip roots and rocks like one of those awsome water slides... not at all...

have to disagree with that, Nic's are about the only tyre I trust up front. depends a lot on the compound and size but the 2.4 Evo Snakeskin is a stonking good front tyre!

oh and I'm another Hayes brake hater :)
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I have Stroker Trails too and there's never been a problem stopping with them. I prefer them to my Formulas!

I've just put Nobby Nics on the FS and they do roll very fast indeed, but I don't feel as confident cornering as much as I did with the Nevegals. I've only had two rides on the NN's, so maybe I'll get used to them with time. Bloody fast though...I'll give 'em that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    radiojaja wrote:

lovely red highlights / bike bling is more fun! (mmm....red!)

If you're having fun with Hayes brakes, come back when you've fitted some Formula's and let us know how much fun you're having then!

And it's a well known fact that red makes you faster. I'm sure Newton or someone said it so it must be true.

Good on you for having fun though! It's why we all do it!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • radiojaja
    thanks for the comments! especially love the 'fat' one and the 'crashing' one!

both true i'm sure. as for Hayes brakes - who knew? :shock:

the point was there are certainly better than the other generic ones i've used, in terms of stopping my fat behind from spectacularly crashing!

and i'm glad the fact i'm having fun came through, never had so much on a bike, and i guess thats what its all about

tell you another thing ive learned this week, riding into a ma-hoo-sive headwind along the banks of the severn estuary IS NOT FUN! blinkin' flip!!

and we're back to lose weight = more speed = more fun!
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Mate, if you're happy with your brakes (or anythng else for that matter), and they do what you want them to do, then it doesn't matter if others think that they aren't very good.

Each to their own is what I say, some people don't get on with Avids, some don't get on with Hayes, Hope etc. Personally, I've found Avid and Hayes to be pretty good over the years, but I have a set of Formula brakes that certainly don't live up to the hype.

I could claim that Formula brakes are over-rated and not to buy them, but I won't because I may have just got a set that were not that very good from the start. I was expecting a lot more from them that I got.

Re: Nobby Nics - How do you find the grip? I don't think that they feel as good as other tyres when cornering, but again, maybe that's just down to personal preference. As mentioned before, they are very fast, but I don't don't feel that confident with the front end as I have with Kenda and Maxxis. Maybe it's because they are faster?

Keep riding and having fun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • radiojaja
    thanks Johnny Napalm! but i think ive misled everyone with the hayes brakes, ive had another look and they are formula rx, dont know where the hell i got Hayes from?! :oops:

whatever they are, they certainly stop me, even a handful of back brake lurches me forward (thanks again mr. Newton!)

its a good question on the tyres re grip - it maybe just that the whole bike handles better, especially in corners, only feeling a bit loose in the front under really tight or high speed. i assumed it was the tyres helping out, but it might be just the bike is smaller (fits better!) and lighter? its undoubtable way faster!

i havent ever tried anything more adventurous than Captain control tyres before, so happy to accept the others mentioned would be better again... where does it all stop!

the whole point i was making was thats ive found 'better' bike equipment pays off (if you are lucky enough to afford it) and so even if you arent the 'typical' biker, go for it! i couldnt have hoped to have enjoyed the 'upgrades' / new bike as much as i have.

and cos i agonised over wether to go for it, given the whole fat and 40 thing, and the fact i can only get out 2 or 3 times a week, i wanted to pass on my experience 8)

i'm really loving it, and the nice kit, seems to me to be playing a big part in that, compared to the old HT i was thrashing round at least

you know what, maybe it is JUST the red chrome bits... :lol:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I think this is a great warm and fuzzy post - love it (and glad that you love your new bike!) :D:D

(Although I have sadly realised that I am clearly the anti-christ with both an Orange 5 AND Formula brakes :shock: Good grief, how I do I get through life.... :wink::lol: )
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • radiojaja
    thanks Miss Notax! thats what i was trying to get across :D

orange 5 and formula brakes, well it sounds great to me at least! enjoy!