Road shoe fit

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello all

Am going to buy some road shoes for the first time, but am not sure about the "fit" of them

Am I right in thinking that they need to fit fairly 'snugly'? I have broad feet so the ones that I've tried are a little on the close-fitting side, although Specialized and Northwave ones seemed wider (as did the DHBs I tried but they were too short - my toes were touching the end)

So can anyone give me some clues on what to look out for? I know I should go to a good shop but went to Condor last week at lunchtime and they were mobbed and didn't really have time to sort me out

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    The straps will control how snug they are but the shoes should be comfortable when the straps are undone. Nothing will mess with your mind more during a long ride than a pair of tight shoes that you can't adjust. If the shoes are snug form the start, they'll get even worse during exercise when your feet swell.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    kelsen wrote:
    The straps will control how snug they are but the shoes should be comfortable when the straps are undone. Nothing will mess with your mind more during a long ride than a pair of tight shoes that you can't adjust. If the shoes are snug form the start, they'll get even worse during exercise when your feet swell.

Rode New Forest to London with overtightened shoes last summer on a really hot day. Feet swellled and they were very uncomfortable. Took me an age to work out why I felt rotten. Uncranked the straps and things were much better. Strange that I couldn't figure out that it was my feet that were causing unease. Hey ho.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    So not too tight when trying them on.

Bu99er. I've got a fat belly, a fat ar5e, couldn't my feet at least be slim??

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive got stupidly wide feet, my mrs always reminds me aswell, i just bought a paid of M063's in 10.5 im a 10 in all other shoes but these fit pretty snug
    Keeping it classy since '83