Spacers above the stem

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited May 2011 in Workshop
Is there a definitive answer as to whether a spacer above the stem is necessary ?
Or is it just some manufacturers recommend one ?
Or if you have a lot of spacers below it's prudent to have one on top as well (or vice versa) ?
Thinking about making the final cut on my steerer and wondering if I should leave 5mm or 10mm above the stem.
Suppose it could help with resale but I think it looks neater without any spacers.

Thoughts ?

Cheers
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Different forks recommend different combinations, check the specs on your forks!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    edited May 2011
    I think a 5mm one is the right balance personally. That way the stem is attached to the steerer completely and therefore as secure as possible, but you haven't got a load of spacers on top making it look daft.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • roadracedave
    roadracedave Posts: 107
    I always cut the steerer flush or fractionally above the stem, and then have a single 5mm spacer above the stem.

It allows the stem to have a 100% contact patch with the steerer spreading the clamping load.

You shouldn't need any more than one 5mm spacer though, unless you are leaving it longer to try and retain some resale value.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    me and Dave are reading the same script... 8)
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • roadracedave
    maddog 2 wrote:
    me and Dave are reading the same script... 8)

Indeed :) You just beat me too it!
  • buder
    buder Posts: 154
    I always cut the steerer flush or fractionally above the stem, and then have a single 5mm spacer above the stem.

It allows the stem to have a 100% contact patch with the steerer spreading the clamping load.

You shouldn't need any more than one 5mm spacer though, unless you are leaving it longer to try and retain some resale value.

+1 In this case a spacer above would be needed to allow proper pre-load of the headset.

Manufacturers suggest cutting the steerer around 3mm LOWER than the top of the stem this is to stop the top cap bottoming out when adjusting the pre-load with no spacer above however.

I prefer to do as Dave mentions above and have a spacer above to give me clearance for headset adjustment.
  • Down the Road
    Down the Road Posts: 949
    Advice at present is 1 5mm spacer above for CARBON steerers. Ali you can cut flush
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • roadracedave
    Advice at present is 1 5mm spacer above for CARBON steerers. Ali you can cut flush

You can cut alloy steerers a few mm below the top of the stem, to save having a spacer above and to be able to have the top cap flush, but it certainly doesn't do any harm having a spacer above and allowing the stem to have full contact.

It gives a bit of safety too, as if you ever change the stem, the new stem may have a larger clamp height