School a Newbie (Help and advice please)

Welsh_Tom
Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys, and girls, my name is Tom, I been reading these forums for about 2 weeks and riding for the last 7 weeks. Mins the week and a half my bike has been in bits.

I am riding a 8-10 year old Carrera Hellcat. She not bad but after sitting in someone garden for 5 years she has seen better days, I replaced the back brake with a shimano br-m445, and spent the last 5 weeks bombing it around, leaning to ride after a 15+ year hiatus (And i was not very good back then)

And after fixing it last night with 2 new tyres (maxxis ignitor's) And a new front Brake (clarks skeletal) Its broke again :P

Half the way up Cwmcan the chain went bang. Lucky on the way back down the trail some nice guys from england fixed it so I could make it home.

I have a few questions:

How the hell do you ride up them hills in Cwmcan?

I am very Fit, its the technical parts are just to much for someone who has been riding 6 weeks. I have done Cwmcan once before 3 weeks ago.

What am i asking it where do i start. Do I stay seatted or is it best to try standing till I get better?

Or just keep trying seated and one day I will get to the top?

There is Small Drop off all over, How do I not fly off the Pedals?

I did better to day but still when i go over big-ish rocks my feet do jump off the peadals. I guess its just about putting more weight on them?

Yes and am standing on them, 60-40 or 70-30 what ever it is called

The Bike: Keep or replace?

So far i have spent a little over £200 fixing her up, She is full sus, with Sr suntour forks, ( not sure what they where to start off with but there is only about 60-80 mil of travel left in them, the rear shock is unknow, but its not much good :P them bike bobs so badly rading up hill.

The chain now needs replacing, and the whole drive chain works, but has a lot of damage and is lightly rusted, the de-railers have been realigned to stop the chain droping off the chunk arms and jamming (which it was doing).

I just not sure if its past her best for what i wont to do on her. i was hopeing to keep her for 6month to see how i found riding, then if i was still in love with it like i am right now spend some money.

Anyway any help and advice will be very much welcomed, (Ps I am badly dyslexic, so if the grammar and spelling is off :P)

Comments

• aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    Climbing is a personal preference but for most people - myself included - the easiest is to stay seated as your bum is pushing the wheel into the ground and wont cause the tyre to spin. For very steep climbs I would tend to lean a little more towards the front of the seat but this can get a little uncomfortable as the seat pokes up your bum. One of the guys in our club once said "Pedal like you're being raped"...and if you chose that position you'll know why :).

I normally reserve standing while climbing for the last push to get over a brow as the wheel spins and you use more energy. You want to be applying even and smooth pedal strokes and if you stand you will tend to mash the pedals. Practise makes perfect 8) .

Pedal slips = SPDS

New bike? That's your own preference. Depends on what you're hoping to do with it i.e. getting fit, jumping, racing etc...
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Don't be too hard on yourself - the climb at Cwmcarn is hard! I did a couple of laps of Cwmcarn yesterday afternoon and I had forgotten quite how tricky parts of it are (I was particularly reminded when I came off about 3 times.... :? ).

It's just practise, practise and MORE practise :D

(Actually, I do find Cwmcarn quite unforgiving if you don't absolutely 100% commit to clearing some of the stuff - a bit of absolute determination goes a long way!)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Miss notax for regular sunday warrior you are bloody fit. 2 Laps of Twrch would kill me and most other regular warriors.

But yeah, Cwmcarn's climb is awesome if you inclined that way (climbing wise) ... other trail centers are much more forgiving so OP you are too hard on yourself.

Now, your feet jumping off pedals ? Most probably your feet position is -Roadie- style and or you are too rigid.

Anyway don't want to troll too much about something that may not be your issue but do have a look at those:

Be a better rider part1 by Great Rock
    Be a better rider part2by Dales MTB
    Be a better rider part3by Jedi
    Be a better rider part4 by Cambell coaching

Hope you enjoyed it, and go go go ... practise that on trails !
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    popstar wrote:
    Miss notax for regular sunday warrior you are bloody fit. 2 Laps of Twrch would kill me and most other regular warriors.

Don't you believe it - I nailed the second descent but the climb was painful.... Not least completely failing to manual over a rock which ended with me facing downill, wedged in between two rocks, and resulting in a bloody great bruise on my @rse :? :evil:

Moral of the story? Don't try and ride stuff like that half-heartedly!! :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • popstar
    There are 3 tricky sections on that climb, and I've found without good build up momentum you just won't be able to clear them bad boyz. But building it up takes so much of steam that softie like myself do only 1 lap. No more. Respect to XC snakes though.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Welsh_Tom
    aidso wrote:

Lol, yar i tryed that not so much fun :P, It not its so much steep its the steepness with big ass rocks in the way. But I will keep trying,

As for getting spd's i really dont knot yet. or ever, not sure i like the idea of being cliped in. my m8 had a crash and the bike landed on her as she was cliped in :(

As for new bike, well i replaced the chain and the guy in the shop had a look at the bike and said the bb has about 3 months left on it. so thats when i get a new one :P
    miss notax wrote:

Thanks, I will keep at it, wonted to try again toomorrow.. o look at the time but if i do it will be by my self again.
  • Welsh_Tom
    popstar wrote:

Thanks for the links, i seen the one before, but did not get around to finding the others so thanks. And as for the climbing, i do love it, i am a gym nut so i love the working out bit of it also. Anyone can ride down a hill fast (:P) but not all can ride up one :P

My fleet saiyed on a lot better this time so i will keep trying to put the weight down.
    miss notax wrote:
    popstar wrote:

All these high tech moves are to much for me :P
    popstar wrote:

The big one after the pay gate is just so hard. i get about 3ft before i have to jump off :P

And there is a small one after the big downwords spiral is only little is is to hard for now.
  • popstar
    For that big one after pay gates, you really need to build up speed and carry momentum so early planning is a must. You are lucky to be local down there, riding wise.

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yeh the other important point with technical climbing is cadence, Ie you need good speed coming at steep sections, but if your in too high a gear low cadence as you slow you will stop, you need to be able to spin and control it if the back wheel spins.

Also pick your line before you hit the obsticle dont just wander at it :)

Cwm isn't really horrible its just to a shock to people not used to good single track climbs its been mellowed alot! though it is a bit relentless which makes the tech bits harder as your usually a bit tired as you hit them.
  • aidso
    The only other thing I would say regarding the bike is that you have mentioned its ~10 years old and you've just spent £200 on it. You need to work out how much the bike is worth and as soon as it becomes unfeasable you should be thinking about getting a newer model.

Chains and Tyres are normal costs but if the shocks need replaced or the frame is fairly rusty I would start to have concerns.

A.
  • Welsh_Tom
    popstar wrote:
    it was sadly far to wet down there today to get any speed, so i did not get far up the big one :P

as for being local yes its lush i would never dont to move from the hills

Ok will keep at it
    aidso wrote:

The frame is not bad, the fork dont have much play in it, and the rear shock has to much :P

i will make a post soon but a new bike, as the bike i wont has a waiting list.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Also

went back to today had a fking fking great time, i am in love

made a few more climbs then i have before but not as loads and it was very wet and bogy,

we m8 did tell me to get spd's but i am not so sure. i did fly off the pedals again over one of the jumps at the top and my shin hit the pedal and i now got a nice war scare

my shin is ok hurts a little. really dont know about why my fleet jump up like they do.
  • aidso
    Wear grippier shoes if you don't want to use SPDs. Sounds like you are possibly wearing trainers when you are out and i doubt they have much grip to hold the pedals.
  • Thewaylander
    Yup i ride flatties, I can't stand SPD's its not a progress thing its a choice thing. a good set of flats with approriate footwear should solve a good few issues you mention.
  • Welsh_Tom
    aidso wrote:
    Wear grippier shoes if you don't want to use SPDs. Sounds like you are possibly wearing trainers when you are out and i doubt they have much grip to hold the pedals.

I am wearing trainers yes. i was wearing really gripy running shoes, but the soul was very bendy so i am trying ones with a harder base, there is not a lot of movement but not very heavy, i guess i got two pairs of osiris, Skate shoes, (for waring to rock clubs not borading :P)

they are very heavy and have a rock hard base
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    I wouldn't worry about the fitness thing, I consider myself fit, with an active job that requires regular health and fitness tests, but being bike fit is another beast altogether
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Problems with feet not staying on pedals could be due to crap pedals, some qualiy flatties might help. You don't need proper mtb shoes, Vans are pretty grippy on flat pedals. I do wear spd's for xc riding but prefer flats for any technical climbing or descending. Having the right tyres does really help with the tech bits on the climb giving better traction on roots & rocks.
    Try lifting the front wheel over roots etc, pump down on the forks & quickly move your weight back to get the wheel up for minimal effort then as soon as the front wheel is over move your weight forward, toes down & lift the rear wheel over. A bit of momentum really helps.
    Good suspension really helps with traction over tech sections, no suspension is better than bad suspension.
    As for your comment about anyone being able to ride fast downhill that's not true, there is a lot of technique in fast descents, picking the right line, riding berms fast, riding drops in a controlled way, getting body position right & knowing where to get on the pedals.
    Fitness isn't everything on technical climbs, I'm a bit of a lard arse but get up the Twrch trail no problem. Have you tried Afan yet? Whites level is a slightly less technical climb and a much better descent.
  • Welsh_Tom

good read thanks. lots to think about next time i getout. sadly i did not read this before last nights ride.

i think i have worked out how to stay on over most smaller drop off, but i hit one (secound uphill secound of cwm, there is a big tree with lots of roots and a big drop behand it) i went over there far to fast and off the pedals my feet went. again i got lucky and landed on them.

i think my bike has had it going to try to get her going but i orderd a new bike anyway, thinking about these pedals to go with it:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3177

not sure if to pick up a cheap set of vans or try with what i got that not bad. but i gess a bigger heavy shoe would help.
  • Thewaylander
    I can't think of where you are saying mate... can't think of a single drop on the climb?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think I know where you mean, the rollable steep descent on an optional line fairly fairly low on the climb. DMR pedals are ok though I prefer Gusset Slim Jim's, they just work better for me. If you can afford it FiveTen shoes are awesome on flat pedals, not cheap though.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29560
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    popstar wrote:
    Most probably your feet position is -Roadie- style and or you are too rigid.

What is roadie style? My feet are in the same position on all of my bikes... the RIGHT position.

SPDs aren't any more or less likely to make you crash, have the bike hit you, cause global warming, explode, get you girls (or boys); it's just personal preference. Covering up crappy footwork with spds is not a good idea, but likewise, using spds doesn't mean you have crappy footwork :)
  • Deepunder
    Deepunder Posts: 145
    As others said, don't beat yourself up over the Cwm carn climb, its long so saps your energy and techy in places so getting in the grove can be difficult. Uphill rock gardens can be interesting !

I rode there over a year ago in an unfit state and found it very frustrating; a return trip a few weeks back with improved fitness and sharper handling skills I bloody loved the climb and cleared a few previous nightmare sections. I still swore a lot though so more practice needed.

Fitness, anticipation of what's ahead and building momentum at critical points will get you through. I forgot how good it was up there.

Actually the 7 vids one of the local boys posted up showed the downs off well, although those chest/head cams never seem to capture the terrain well at all so you don't get the full effect I reckon.
  • Welsh_Tom
    Deepunder wrote:

yar i like that vid i was not to far behind him :lol: well thast lie, my bike was playing up again so i was very far behind him. :oops:

Looking at:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3177

or

http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-magnesium-alloy-platform-flat-mtb-pedals.html

for padels, not sure if to keep the shoes i unsing now or get some bigger ones, 5-10's are a bit much as i am getting a new bike thast useing all my money up.

going again after to try and get better.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Bigger shoes? 5-10s are not going to make you faster. As long as the soles are stiff-ish you'll be fine with what you have. You can get skate shoes from TKMaxx that fit well.
  • check out rollersnakes.com they have great sales if you keep an eye on it.
    ive got 2 pairs of DC's for £40 (though they run out of size 12 trainers too quick, i never get them in the sale) and they grip like hell and ive ust got the cheap basic plastic pedals. cant wait to get new ones.
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • Welsh_Tom
    Atz wrote:
    Bigger shoes? 5-10s are not going to make you faster. As long as the soles are stiff-ish you'll be fine with what you have. You can get skate shoes from TKMaxx that fit well.

yes bigger shoes as in skate ones. with a oversized flat base.

ok my shins has the padels again today lol doh, but it was down the red downhill track. talk about hard work :lol:

myabe its just time to buy some shin pads
  • Oh and try not to get them too cheap. £10 airwalk sneakers wear out quick i find, especially if they get damp.
    If in doubt - flat out!
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    Tom,

STOP BEATING YOURSELF UP MATE !!!!!!

Your enthusiasm insures that you will be flying Cwmcarn before you no it, You can tell your a fit lad its just technique and bad equipment holding you back.
    I rode Cwmcarn for quite a few years on an old Kona hardtail, the downs were ok (excluding arm pump), but the technical climbs were a pig.

As for Technique it will come with more practice, If you get out and ride with the guys more, and watch how some of us (attempt to) get over the tricky stuff you will be fine.

As for the bike, not wanting to sound rude but it has had its best days. I would suggest trying to upgrade to a nice hardtail or if your budget allows a full susser.

You can pick up a hardtail thats up to the job for about £300. inmo i wouldn't spend anyless than a grand on a full susser.

I am sure that if you have a scout around you can find yourself a 2nd hand bargain for a lot less.
  • Thewaylander
    Deepunder wrote:
    As others said, don't beat yourself up over the Cwm carn climb, its long so saps your energy and techy in places so getting in the grove can be difficult. Uphill rock gardens can be interesting !

I rode there over a year ago in an unfit state and found it very frustrating; a return trip a few weeks back with improved fitness and sharper handling skills I bloody loved the climb and cleared a few previous nightmare sections. I still swore a lot though so more practice needed.

Fitness, anticipation of what's ahead and building momentum at critical points will get you through. I forgot how good it was up there.

Actually the 7 vids one of the local boys posted up showed the downs off well, although those chest/head cams never seem to capture the terrain well at all so you don't get the full effect I reckon.

It also helps that they smoothed it all out since last year :p

And i Agree with silver, though i would say these days full sus for brand new is about 2k prices have really gone up int he last two years, unless you get a last years bargain which is always a plan :)