Buying a road bike, possibly a Ribble....

DaveL
DaveL Posts: 188
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
I'm a MTB'er looking for my first road bike, and narrowed it down to a Ribble Sportive, or Grand Fondo, based basically on looks, and the fact that I can get to shop to hopefully sit on it or ride it. Used mainly for fitness, maybe join a club down the line.

First question : Is upgrading to 105 from Tiagra worth £151?

Second question : Are the CSN Superlegger XL50 clincher wheels (which I do like the look of) worth £371 more than the ITM Aero 2.4 wheels.

Third question: If the answer to the above 2 questions is yes, then that takes the price of the bike to just below £1500, is there a bike better value for money.

All advice welcome, even though I know it will muddy the waters even more. The money is not the biggest factor, but value for money is, if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• lioneld
    lioneld Posts: 69
    I'd say yes on going for 105 over Tiagra - never really hear anyone complain about 105's shifting, gen performance etc. Wheels i wouldn't be too concerned about as its your first bike, you can always upgrade the wheels later on - plus i always think its better to train on a slightly heavier set up then upgrade and you'll see/feel the difference.
    I think a few would say to get as best spec as you can to begin with because you'll end up buying odd bits of upgrade here n there in the first 6 months and you might as well get them from the start. I'm looking to change one of my rides and im almost certain im going to go for a Rose Pro RS4400 - have a look at rosebikes.co.uk, great spec, german bike very light - they got a good write up in Cyling Plus's bikes of the year 2011 - under 1500 quid as well ,1200 for the 105 equipped pro rs200 7.6kg to boot!
    All Italian
  • lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    105 is faultless, and many say practically the same a dura ace (top of the range), bar from a few grams and slightly slower shifting (that you won't notice as you are just beginning).
    I ride with 105 and couldn't fault it at all, but only can compare it to sora that I upgraded from.
    As to wheels, not sure to be honest, but agree that you might as well start with stock and build from there. I would invest that money on a decent pair of pedals and shoes, which will take you much further than wheels.
    Heard great things about ribble, and eye one up myself, so please report back. Another very good value for money brand is Planet X, which might be worth you having a look at before buying.
    Hope this helps
  • DaveL
    Thanks for the input, not sure I like the look of the Rose or Planet X. I must admit on the MTB side of things I haven't really noticed the difference between different groupsets in the past.

I had a feeling this would get complicated :) Now the Focus Cayo has been reduced again, which was the other bike on my radar. I like the look of it, maybe not quite as much as the Ribbles, but the thing that puts me off is that I wouldn't be able to try before I buy. I believe Wiggle do a 30 day trial, but not sure I can be arsed with the messing around if I don't like it.

Cheers

Dave
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I have 105 and like it, but if I was on a budget I'd put the 150 quid into lighter wheels before a groupset upgrade.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    My Gran Fondo is scheduled for build today/tomorrow & hoping for delivery by the end of the week. Can't wait! :D

I picked my bike on looks, geometry & "bang for buck", but obvious risks are not being able to ride it beforehand.

RE: group-set: I currently have 105 & I'm going SRAM Rival on the new bike.

I find my 105 very slick - sometimes not sure if it's actually changed! Expecting Rival (based on a little go at LBS with an SRAM rival bike) to be slightly clunkier but more positive. Really it's a decision based upon the fact I like the idea of double tap mechanism.

I also got the ITM 2.4 wheels - no experience of them but expecting to be ok. Will probably upgrade next year (probably chinese carbons!).
    [/i]
  • Avanti Roman
    Avanti Roman Posts: 189
    DaveL wrote:
    I'm a MTB'er looking for my first road bike, and narrowed it down to a Ribble Sportive, or Grand Fondo, based basically on looks, and the fact that I can get to shop to hopefully sit on it or ride it. Used mainly for fitness, maybe join a club down the line.

First question : Is upgrading to 105 from Tiagra worth £151?

Second question : Are the CSN Superlegger XL50 clincher wheels (which I do like the look of) worth £371 more than the ITM Aero 2.4 wheels.

Third question: If the answer to the above 2 questions is yes, then that takes the price of the bike to just below £1500, is there a bike better value for money.

All advice welcome, even though I know it will muddy the waters even more. The money is not the biggest factor, but value for money is, if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Dave

1) I'd upgrade to SRAM Apex (or for little more, Rival) personally because Apex is
    a) 10speed rather then 9speed so compatible for later upgrades
    b) Over 450g lighter than Tiagra (lighter than 105 & Ultegra too)
    c) Only an extra £85

2) I'd stick with the ITMs and upgrade at a later date - I understand the XL50s are fairly heavy and there are an increasing number of 'bling wheels available for £500 if they're what you really want:
    http://www.fuertebici.com/shop/50mm-carbon-clinchers/
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I've had a Ribble winter bike for a good few years and it's still going strong.
    You're doing the sensible thing in going to sit on both of them.

Another vote for 105 here.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Canyon Ultimate AL:
    https://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2109

The anodised black one is pretty sweet looking too. Gets great reviews in european mags. If I was buying a new bike just now this is what I'd get.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    105 is great stuff but I agree with going to Rival. You need to try double taps though as a small minority don't like them. Of all groupsets they are probably the best value for money.

There are better wheels to upgrade to but do this as and when.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • sparkins1972
    sparkins1972 Posts: 252
    Just a thought regarding your short list and please bear in mind I am only going on my slightly dubious memory of reading millions of bike reviews when I was getting my bike - think about exactly what you want to be doing with the bike - I seem to remember hearing that the Cayos are really set up with a racey geometry whereas certainly the Ribble Sportive is set up to be more comfortable over longer rides where absolute flat out speed might not be your main motivator - this is not to say that the Sportive wil not be more than quick enough for you.

I may be talking through my rear end on this one, but whe I started out on road bikes I deliberately chose a bike that would be comfortable over long rides as I knew I would never get into racing. I haven't regretted it at all. You are fortunate in that you can actually go and sit on the Ribbles before you buy, but I wouldl compare with a few other bikes before you part with your hard earned.

Good luck and welcome to the club!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DaveL wrote:

80 grams for £371. I wouldn't! You can make more than that gain for nothing by going for the Sportive over the Gran Fondo - but for me the GF is a better fit.

Like my Gran Fondo. Just to add the final option in - mines Campagnolo. The groupset for the discerning customer :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    yes to 105
    yes to gran fondo
    dont they still do fulcrums- the 7 is a great entry level and cheap.Get a fancy upgrade later, maybe some tubs for tt or racing? but you wont use them day to day.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    yes to 105 (10 speed for later compatibility)
    yes to Gran Fondo

...save your cash on the wheels for the time being - you'll be too busy spending on shoes/pedals/lycra in the immediate future.

...you can then at a later date get a bling set of wheels & relegate the standard wheels for winter/trainer use. 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Gran Fondo - excellent bike, really comfortable geometry - I have a large (54) and am 5'10, 33" inside leg.
    SRAM Rival - really positive once you get past the inital differences between Shim & the double tap.

I recognize what folks are saying about shoes and pedals although within your budget you can get some decent wheels as well as shoes and pedals. My GF with RIVAL, a full set of the ITM 7075, 105 SPD SL pedals and the Pro-Lite Lucianos came in at £1350 delivered. Had i opted for the bog standard wheels I would have been under the £1300 mark by some way. I could have gone for Fulcrum 5 or Aksium for pretty similar money +/- £50. This would still allow c£100 for some nice stiff shoes which with a quick trawl of CRC/Wiggle/Parker Intl should be easily achievable.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • DaveL
    Thanks for all the information, it's really helped. I'm sticking with my original post concerning the bike, 99% sure it will be a ribble, the one that feels the best (hope it's the sportive). I will stick with the ITM's, unless they have any offers on in the shop at the time. There is a £2 difference between the 105 and Rival, but I think I'm swaying towards the Rival.

Hopefully will be purchasing it in the next 4-6 weeks :D

Dave
  • Avezius
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    Gran Fondo - excellent bike, really comfortable geometry - I have a large (54) and am 5'10, 33" inside leg.
    SRAM Rival - really positive once you get past the inital differences between Shim & the double tap.

Sorry to hijack, but you have made my morning Dogerdog!
    My Large (54) is hopefully being built today / yesterday & I'm 5'10 (and a bit) with 33" inside leg. Always a worry with the unknown factor (I havent even sat on a GF yet!).
  • rriiicchh
    rriiicchh Posts: 13
    For £1500 the Cube Agree GTC Pro is getting a lot of love in the reviews

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... t-11-40448
  • Avezius
    Avezius wrote:
    Sorry to hijack, but you have made my morning Dogerdog!
    My Large (54) is hopefully being built today / yesterday & I'm 5'10 (and a bit) with 33" inside leg. Always a worry with the unknown factor (I havent even sat on a GF yet!).

Woooo - just got my dispatch email from Ribble!