How many miles on pro race 3

longster
longster Posts: 53
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Hi how many miles should i be getting out of my pro race 3?

Thanks Mark

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    longster wrote:

Thanks Mark

about the same length as a piece of string....there's no answer to that question. I ditched my rear once it had squared off noticeably - I didn't check the mileage as it seemed irrelevant...
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I bought some Pro Race 3's about 18 months ago, following recommendations on here and in magazines etc.

Great tyres, very grippy and fast.

I won't be buying any more though. I have had 3 sets of tyres on my bike since I bought it.
    Specialized Mondo 2 - these lasted around 3-4k miles
    Pro Race 3 - 800 miles (before carcass showing)
    GP4000s - currently around 2-3k miles (will be replacing them soon)

GP4000s are as good as the Pro 3's, yet have lasted far better.

This might just be my experience . . . .
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    longster wrote:

Thanks Mark

they are racing tyres and not meant for mileage. try some mich krylion if you want more mileage with good speed.
  • longster
    longster Posts: 53
    FSR_XC wrote:
    I bought some Pro Race 3's about 18 months ago, following recommendations on here and in magazines etc.

Great tyres, very grippy and fast.

I won't be buying any more though. I have had 3 sets of tyres on my bike since I bought it.
    Specialized Mondo 2 - these lasted around 3-4k miles
    Pro Race 3 - 800 miles (before carcass showing)
    GP4000s - currently around 2-3k miles (will be replacing them soon)

GP4000s are as good as the Pro 3's, yet have lasted far better.

This might just be my experience . . . .
    Thank you fsr xc for a very construtive answer. I am getting about 1k miles out of my pro 3 and almost 3x that out of my mondo's on my winter training bike and the gp4000s on my summer bike look fine and they have done about 1500 miles. Thought it was just me lol
    Thanks again.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    got 2300 miles on krylion at the moment, 0 punctures, 0 cuts or niks. just starting to square on the rear but not done yet. im 14 stones and dont ride gently
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Vredestein fortezza tricomps are good for wear too.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    About 2000 or PR3'S can't understand how your trashing them after 800 - I keep the pressure high and pump them up at least once per week.

Kryllion are pretty bombproof - but they are very sluggish - they are sort of marketed as a winter race tyre - don't see it myself.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    800 miles, that's nuts.
    I love PR3, I get the best part of 2 YEARS out of a set, and I'm closing in on 800 miles since April.

As said I keep them well pumped up, 105psi, and they've never let me down.
  • Kneesaway
    Kneesaway Posts: 56
    I love my PR3's too, but am disappointed at how quickly they wear out. They are pretty much puncture free for 2000 miles, then I start getting them in quick succession (based on 2 tyres so far). I think I'll try some Ultremos next.
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    rake wrote:
    got 2300 miles on krylion at the moment, 0 punctures, 0 cuts or niks. just starting to square on the rear but not done yet. im 14 stones and dont ride gently
    Oh Rake, what a mistake. You've publicly admitted to puncture free riding, you do realise that you will now be plagued with punctures. :D
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Ha that's why there's no P's mentioned in my post.
    I just couldn't bring myself to writing the word.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Got about 1800 out of mine but no punctures

Run Conti GP 4000 now.............much better
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Keep the pressures high, I run mine at 115psi at the rear and 110psi at the front and get about 2000+ miles to a set.

They do tend to crack though but it doesn't seem to affect performance or grip.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I got some cheap - coloured orange Pro3 to match my Orbea. They lasted 2 1/2 commutes, about 75 miles before the rear one hit a nasty sharp and gained a huge hole in the centre tread. I had to bin it.

Of course this is not typical and just one of those things

It was still cheaper than the petrol I'd have put in the car

The bike now has Bontrager Hardcase Lites on it which are cheaper, heavier, less grippy and slower but will last a good long time

As for Michelin Krylion, the Audax bike has them, approx 3000km so far. A very few tiny nicks. Agree they aren't in the same league as Pro3 or Pro2 for speed/grip but good solid tyres.
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    I've done 1,500 miles on my Bontrager Race Lites, the front is only just starting to lose that line that's left over from manufacturing and the rear is still in good shape. I've only had two punctures in that time and one of those was my fault for choosing to take a gravel covered shortcut :oops:

I could probably get another 1,500 out of them but will most likely replace them early.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Just under 800 miles on the rear.

Got a small hole in the centre tread a few hundred miles back but I ignored that. Now, tonight I just noticed a small hole in the side with a bubble of tube poking out. Now it must be binned.

The front on the other hand looks fine.

I won't be buying them again. Lovely grippy fast tyre just not durable enough.

Edit: I've just bought some Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps. Ribble finally got some in, £20.76 each. :D