Egg beater MRX bearings? is this normal

DaveHudson
DaveHudson Posts: 290
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I know egg beaters are not a road pedal but both pairs of shoes I own are SPD fitting only. I purchased some egg beater MRX pedals from a seller on ebay Link

They turned up yesterday at my work and I opened them today, First impressions are not good. The bearings feel horrible, Really notchy and almost like they have been overtightened. I know they are the lowest spec, but my M520s feel buttery smooth and they are even cheaper pedals.

What should I do? Do I:

A: Contact the seller and see if this is a common thing, If so return for a refund as it's not really good enough quality.

B: Contact CB and see if there is any way to confirm they are genuine, and if this is a common complaint.

C: Raise the issue with the seller and fit to bike to see if they bed in.

D: Strip and regrease, see how I get on.

These were purchased on a bit of a whim, I have always liked the look of these and just wanted to try them out of curiosity really.

Comments

• riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    I have/had these with the anodised blue springs and after a few months they seized completely. I aim in the process of getting replaced/refunded under warranty
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Egg Beaters have a terrible reliability record.

If you bought their base spec ones and bought them off eBay, it's very unlikely that you paid more than £10 so you haven't really lost anything. If you can, send them back for a refund.

Then buy M520s or, even better, M540s and enjoy years of trouble free pedalling.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    The reliability record put me off egg beaters despite the fact they are probably the best for shedding mud. I always google a product before buying and that search brought up lots of bearings going Kaput.

I've also M520 and cannot fault their reliability and toughness.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • appletrees
    appletrees Posts: 327
    Great pedals, crap bearings sadly.

So, in summary, yes, it's normal.
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Cheers gents, Glad to know it's a standard problem.

I emailed the seller last night and they said they had a bad batch and are going to refund when they get them back.

I'll stick with the 520s for now. :)