Madone 5.2 worth the money ?

liquid ideas
liquid ideas Posts: 11
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Still searching for the bike I want purchase and have come across a local shop which has a 2011 madone 5.2 on display. Treks were never on my list of possible bikes for some reason but this bike has really got my attention. Any opinions on thIs Madone? In general Madones seem to get a love/hate response from reviewers and fellow cyclists.

Other bikes now looking at are the Giant tcr composite and advanced ranges.

I know for the same price or less you can get dura ace equipped Canyon, Focus etc but with me being set to get married in the next couple of months I have to keep my cash in the bank and buy the bike on 0% finance which is a bummer as it limits my options to non mail order companies. Additionally I have it in my head that a bike fit is essential for a road bike to avoid potential injuries, am I way off the mark on that one? This is another reason why i would prefer to buy from a local shop who can fit the bike and change parts accordingly at no extra cost as its part of the service they offer when buying a new bike.

Any advice on the above points would be appreciated.

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Get a test ride mate.
    You might hate it.

Make a shortlist of the bikes available to you in your situation and once, if possible, you've ridden them see what you prefer between what's left!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I have to keep my cash in the bank and buy the bike on 0% finance which is a bummer as it limits my options to non mail order companies

There are plenty of online shops doing 0% finance, plus you can go for a bike fitting, get your idea measurements then buy a bike online. But it is good to be able to go into a shop and try some bikes out.
  • Sorry maybe i didnt make it clear but i was referring to online companies like canyon, not mail order shops directly.

But your both spot on, im going to get a separate bike fit done next week, it'll be a small price to pay to get some clarity as to which geometries will work for me and try out the madone as well.