Question about tyres

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
Not sure if I am right (complete noob), but some tyres look fatter than other, I am not sure what the size of my tyres is on my Rockrider 8.1 (I am at work right now). But would wider tyres give me better adherence/grip, and I guess they would slow me down a bit at the same time.
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably, possibly, maybe, maybe not. Depends on the tyre.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    cooldad wrote:

Thanks Cooldad :D

Actually found this article
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... -tyres-47/

And that explained a few of the questions I had.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Always happy to help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    cooldad wrote:
    and the ground.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    The ins and outs of tyres :evil:
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Jeannot18

My RR 8.1 in 2008 came fitted with Michelin tyres and to be honest I hated them, just could not find any surface or inflation pressure they gave me confidence on.

I now use Maxxis - either 2.1 ADvantages front and Rear, swapping to a 2.0 Larsen on the Rear for the summer and am considering going for a 2.1 High Roller on the front if the ADvantage does not roll well enough in the summer.

There is not a huge amount of space around the rear arms, so i've never tried fitting a 2.25 Rear or higher, different manufacturers sizes can also have different profiles, so this adds another unknown, regarding the front end there is a bit more clearance, so i'm fairly sure a Maxxis 2.2 or 2.25 would be OK here.

It's as clear as mud isn't it !!

Also note the Tyre hardness (Shore A measurement), 70A is hard wearing/longer lasting/easier rolling that the medium 60 componds or soft 50 compounds, which obviously grip more but wear down quicker..personally i've only ever used the hard 70 versions.
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....