Tyler sinks the Lance

Comments

• pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    iainf72 wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Contador has far more chance of killing cycling than Lance does.
    If he does it will still land on the Texan's door as he also improved his drug knowledge with his time in the Bruyneel/Armstrong set up.

Yes, that makes sense. Rode for Saiz who taught Bruyneel what he knows, but it will be Bruyneels fault.

Its everyone’s fault (some more than others) who facilitated this culture to exist, right down to the fans who continue to pay to watch cycling.
    Mañana
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    pb21 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    deejay wrote:

Contador has far more chance of killing cycling than Lance does.
    If he does it will still land on the Texan's door as he also improved his drug knowledge with his time in the Bruyneel/Armstrong set up.

Yes, that makes sense. Rode for Saiz who taught Bruyneel what he knows, but it will be Bruyneels fault.

Its everyone’s fault (some more than others) who facilitated this culture to exist, right down to the fans who continue to pay to watch cycling.

I know! But that Quick Step flooring was just so easy to assemble!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Indurain shared it around comment by rick rings true as well

I have no idea whether Indurain kept accomplices sweet somehow, but I suspect that the difference in personality between him and LA may also account for some of this. LA's willingness to self-promote has attracted more attention and his brashness may well have alienated both cycling fans and some of those close to him.

i think it's more he didn't dump them out in the cold.

Even the way he raced gave the impression that he was aware of the smaller rider, 'gifting' stage wins, blah blah.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I can never get my head round the hostility towards Lance: I'm not a follower of the sport, but I always found his achievements remarkable. So I can only assume that he's not a particularly pleasant character with it and there's something alongside his obvious sporting achievements which drives his unpopularity.

But underneath all of this I can't help detect a sense of 'there's no way he could be as successful as he was without using drugs, so he must be lying'.

Other sports have individuals who dominate for long periods of time: it's not impossible or even that unlikely that an exceptional athlete should be able to do the same with cycling. So if we can only conceive of this level of success arising with chemical assistance, should we be focussing on individual athletes or the governing bodies?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Tusher wrote:
    Should I buy the wool for another Aran cardigan or tackle a complicated crocheted baby shawl in two ply?

The shawl, it'll be months before the weather cools enough to wear aran, baby shawls are used anytime.

Unless you take months to knit, or it'f for someone in cold climes, in which case, get out the needles.

Now, back to the fun... :twisted:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2011
    I guess if your success is partly dependent on people keeping schtum, it's not the best tactic to hog all the spoils and hit out at anyone who is wavering.

I recon, had he thrown a bit of cash and goodwill at Flandis and Hamilton when they were at rock bottom they'd not be grassing him up right now.

In that respect I think Armstrong's repatoire of responses to a difficult situation is decidedly limited, and in cycling, where nothing is achieved without a deal of some sort, that is ultimately very costly.

Which other riders has been grassed up by former teammates and riders in the peloton for doing the bad thing? Off the top of my head I can't think of any.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Tusher wrote:
    Should I buy the wool for another Aran cardigan or tackle a complicated crocheted baby shawl in two ply?

Unless you take months to knit, or it'f for someone in cold climes, in which case, get out the needles.

*coughcoughscotlandcoughcough*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    rhext wrote:
    I can never get my head round the hostility towards Lance: I'm not a follower of the sport, but I always found his achievements remarkable. So I can only assume that he's not a particularly pleasant character with it and there's something alongside his obvious sporting achievements which drives his unpopularity.

But underneath all of this I can't help detect a sense of 'there's no way he could be as successful as he was without using drugs, so he must be lying'.

Other sports have individuals who dominate for long periods of time: it's not impossible or even that unlikely that an exceptional athlete should be able to do the same with cycling. So if we can only conceive of this level of success arising with chemical assistance, should we be focussing on individual athletes or the governing bodies?

I'll happily admit that I've never liked him. He's not the first athlete to give it the big "look at how awesome I am" and he won't be the last, but I always find that when Americans do it then it rubs me up the wrong way and I want them cut down to size.

When British athletes do it (thinking Cav here) you know there's usually at least a smidgeon of irony or cheekiness in there, we have a culture where boasting isn't really allowed.

When, say, an Italian does it then it usually feels fairly comical - even when they might be right. I tend to get images of Mussolini looking down his nose at people to make up for his lack of height.

But when an American does it then it feels like it's speaking straight from the heart of a culture that rips the heart out of Corinthian sporting ideals. Not only does the winner take all, he cr*ps in the handbag of the loser as well.

On a serious side though, doping was endemic at the time LA was racking up his victories. All his major competitors were beaten while they were doped to the eyeballs. That's the context of his dominance. And no, level playing fields isn't a good argument, doping affects different athletes differently. There is a question about whether it's valid to focus on LA given the doping around him, but at the end of the day it was him that took the spoils of victory.

As for looking at the regulatory bodies, I'll refer you to Floyd's claims regarding payments to the UCI and alleged failed tests.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    rhext wrote:

Go and do some research on the subject - LA pre-cancer was not a Tour contender, only a fairly-decent 1 day rider. Post-cancer everyone knows about.
    The issue here isn't just about doping in cycling, it's about paying backhanders to the sport's governing body to hide positive tests 'cos it suited their agenda. Defrauding sponsors and taking out insurance policies under false pretences. Launching legal and smear campaigns (e.g. Betsy Andreu & Greg Lemond) to discredit anyone who had the timerity to speak out. Drug trafficking and money laundering and finally about creating a "noble cause" on the back of this myth.

All that Tyler has done has confirmed what many already knew - the difficulty is that LA's legal & PR machine (funded by unwitting purchasers of Livestong stuff) can no longer keep this stuff under wraps.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    IOC looking at taking away the gold medal and giving it to.....

EKI!

Yay clean cycling!

Ooo err missus.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    what's he saying? Can't get to tw*tland from work.
    exercise.png
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Congratulations to @eki_ekimov on his 3rd Olympic Gold Medal!!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Monty Dog wrote:
    rhext wrote:

Go and do some research on the subject - LA pre-cancer was not a Tour contender, only a fairly-decent 1 day rider. Post-cancer everyone knows about.
    The issue here isn't just about doping in cycling, it's about paying backhanders to the sport's governing body to hide positive tests 'cos it suited their agenda. Defrauding sponsors and taking out insurance policies under false pretences. Launching legal and smear campaigns (e.g. Betsy Andreu & Greg Lemond) to discredit anyone who had the timerity to speak out. Drug trafficking and money laundering and finally about creating a "noble cause" on the back of this myth.

All that Tyler has done has confirmed what many already knew - the difficulty is that LA's legal & PR machine (funded by unwitting purchasers of Livestong stuff) can no longer keep this stuff under wraps.

Curiosity was why I posted in the first place: but I still take the view that if they're all at it then demonising the cheat who happens to sit on top of a pyramid of cheats is missing the point somewhat.

....as described he certainly seems a bit of a criminal mastermind. Be interesting to see whether the evidence supports this when he gets to court.
  • Snorebens
    Snorebens Posts: 759
    and his reply:

"@lancearmstrong thanks Lanse! see if this guy has a bolls to return the medal honestly."

No stench here, oh no
  • disgruntledgoat
    What Monty said. My objection was never to his nationality or the hoardes of yellow clad middle managers he brought to the sport... It was to presenting himself as the most important part of the whole sport, to intimnidating and smearing those who spoke against him to the extent that even now David Millar won't talk about anything to do with LA, to bare faced lying not only about doping but in trying to rewrite history and to attempting to silence any critical press.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    RichN95 wrote:
    Rindle wrote:
    Anyone seen limitless? You wouldn't have been tempted?

No. I've never been tempted to see Limitless.

Geenius ! :D:D
  • disgruntledgoat
    Ekimov just made me a little bit queasy... I'm minded of what Landis said about the inside and outside of the sport and the total dichotemy between them.

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    Snorebens wrote:
    and his reply:

"@lancearmstrong thanks Lanse! see if this guy has a bolls to return the medal honestly."

No stench here, oh no

If I was Tyler, I'd ask to meet Eki to hand over the medal personally. Give him a wink and pat on the shoulder while he's at it. And pat the crook of his elbow as if he's trying to get a vein up.
  • disgruntledgoat
    I think were I Tyler I'd tell him that my golden retriever chewed it or I gave it to my disappearing twin to look after.

@gietvangent
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Fanboy`s to the defence raise your weapons.

Moray Gub - Paul Cuthbert etc etc .....Can see these 2 flying over to Los Angeles with their banners outside the courthouse just like all the wacko jacko supporters screaming "We want Justice We Want Justice" :D
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    be interesting to hear what phil and paul have to say tonight......or will they not open that particular suitcase of pain.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Reading non-cycling messageboard threads about this is depressing as hell.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

Link please.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    This hasn't been posted here - Hamilton's email to friends & family explaining his motivation for coming clean:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/ ... ter_174652

Credit to him and his core motivation is the main reason why cycling needs to get to the bottom of this in a systemic way, not by treating bad apples - kids coming into the sport should never be in a position where they have to dope or be forced to abadon their dreams of reaching the top. The really interesting issue with this whole case is not so much Lance, but what might come out about teams, doctors, and the alleged corruption at the UCI. Hamilton too has apparently claimed that LA failed a Tour de Suisse control.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

Link please.

http://www.metafilter.com/103706/Its-al ... -from-here
  • iainf72
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Maybe Armstrong could ask Fred Goodwin ex RBS boss for some help .....well on 2nd thoughts maybe not.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Whatever the outcome in the court of public opinion the confirmation that someone else spilled the beans to the grand jury is interesting.

Wonder if he can corroborate the details from Floyd?
  • rick_chasey
    Whatever the outcome in the court of public opinion the confirmation that someone else spilled the beans to the grand jury is interesting.

Wonder if he can corroborate the details from Floyd?

He's corroborated the Tour de Suisse failed test which was covered up in 2001.
  • iainf72

He's corroborated the Tour de Suisse failed test which was covered up in 2001.

He corroborated that Lance said there was a failed test. Subtle, but important difference.