Energy bars....

paulc33
paulc33 Posts: 254
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Hi guys
After a little help and advise.
What energy bars or drinks do people use when out on a ride ?
I don't really like the gels so looking at getting some bars.

Or tips from people on other foods that are good when out riding to stop you blowing up.

Also how otter on rides do people take food on?

I have never really been big on te eating when riding and thinking I should start.

Thanks
2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!

Comments

• Hierotochan
    Hierotochan Posts: 108
    I can only talk from other sports, mainly snowboarding, but I usually carry a flapjack and eat about half of it after 2/3 hours riding.
    If my sugar dips I normally have a little bag of Haribo somewhere in my jacket.
    Last time I was in Austria though I was with some locals who got me into eating Landjaeger (kind of posh Peperami) on the lifts.

I'd be interested on the recommended use of these things from a cycling perspective too.
    Welcome to Hoogerland, Population: Heroes.

Danny Hart; How does he sit down with balls that big?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    For drink, I'll have one bottle of PSP22 and one of water.
    I'm liking the Power Bar Ride bars at the moment. Go down easily.
    I'll sometimes take small squares of ham sandwiches with me.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I know several people who swear by the powerbar c2max stuff
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    9 bars are good, any cereal bars with some nuts in so you are taking in some protein.

for long rides I take a bottle of water and a bottle of high5 4:1, plus money to buy what I fancy 'cos sometimes a cream cake just screams 'EATME!'
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Mule bars or Clif bars generally, however recently I've just been taking ride shots out (like cheeky sweets) as easy to eat and don't melt like some bars can.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I am currently using Torq bars and find them easy to eat and nice flavours.

For drink I carry 1 bottle of Zipvit energy drink and a bottle of water. Don't tend to use too many energy products for shorter training rides, just the longer ones.

I also find fig rolls, cereal bars and that sort of products good, just make sure they do not have too high a fat level.
  • MattJPaul
    MattJPaul Posts: 95
    Sorry to ask another question in another person's thread, but does anyone have a proven alternative to expensive energy bars?

'Cycling Active' recently did a feature on this and chewy dried bananas seemed to come out on top over those 'Eat Natural' muesli bars.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    MattJPaul wrote:
    Sorry to ask another question in another person's thread, but does anyone have a proven alternative to expensive energy bars?

'Cycling Active' recently did a feature on this and chewy dried bananas seemed to come out on top over those 'Eat Natural' muesli bars.

Buy some oats and make your own flapjacks
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    I had read somewhere last year that nutragrain bars are a good cheap alternative but in sure how true this is??
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I get Nutrigrain bars in bluk when Tesco do a BOGOF - gives me 12 bars for about £1.80

But I also use 'proper stuff' when on really long rides. Love the Zipvit Chocolate Orange and Yoghurt and Blueberry, loge clif bars peanut butter

Mule, Go bars and many others are just like cardboard though.

Am doing a 3 day ride across Hadrians cycleway in a week or so an will be mixing Nutrigrain and Mule (because I bought a bulk lot before I had tasted any) and Zipvit - I think it is better to have some variety rather than eat the same all the time. In between meals I am intending to have something each hour to keep energy levels up.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Home made flapjacks packed with dried fruit (adapted from Bike Radar's recipe). Costs about £2 to make 12 and they've become a firm fave on our longer rides.

Slices of buttered Soreen. I love Soreen!!!

And our seceret weapon is Lidl's Caramel Waffles. You can get a pack of 10 for less than the price of a single Stinger Waffle and they're tonnes better. They're also stronger so they don't break up in your jersey pocket.

And for recovery it's a pint of milk, a scoop of whey and a couple of scoops of choc Nesquik.

I went on a training ride the other month with a guy who's just bought a dehydrating machine with his mates and they're making fruit jerky bars. He swears by them.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I would take, for example, a few slices of a pre-sliced Soreen and a couple of bananas for a 70 mile club ride (about 3.5hrs).

In both of my 700ml bottles I put about 70g orange juice (contains approx 7g sugar) and 35g glucose powder, to make an approx. 6% carb drink. You can use a much higher percentage of sugar in your drink if you're more bothered about energy than hydration, but it will stay in your stomach for longer, and not replace as much bodily fluid loss.

Alternatively just use plain water and get all your energy from food - I think it's the best option if you're just out riding as opposed to training hard.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    High 5 electrolyte drink and I usually come back with some of it left. One of my problems is I don't take on enough fluids but then I hardly drink during the day either. I really have to make a concerted effort to take on fluids and I know it's supposed to help with fuel release. I don't eat anything on rides as 50 is about as far as I go at the moment. I take a gel with me for just in case I start to get that feeling of flagging but 9/10 they end up back in the cupboard after the ride. I'll take a Rego protein drink afterwards.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.